• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Also, was watching the old Australia vs India game that Foxtel put on during the break of the VIC vs SA game on Friday. Did anyone else see some of the banners?

"Stick that up your turban"
"Go home curry munchers" (amongst one or two more)

Must admit, I laughed out of pure amazement and shock. Me and my mate just kept on repeating them for the next half hour and going, "Oh dear, that's ridiculous". Sort of like when I saw some old episodes of that "Kingswood Country" show, with Ted Bullpitt dropping the term "wog" every 30 seconds.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Cringingly embarrassing isn't it. Thankfully things have improved quite a bit, although there's obviously still room for further improvement.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, was watching the old Australia vs India game that Foxtel put on during the break of the VIC vs SA game on Friday. Did anyone else see some of the banners?

"Stick that up your turban"
"Go home curry munchers" (amongst one or two more)

Must admit, I laughed out of pure amazement and shock. Me and my mate just kept on repeating them for the next half hour and going, "Oh dear, that's ridiculous". Sort of like when I saw some old episodes of that "Kingswood Country" show, with Ted Bullpitt dropping the term "wog" every 30 seconds.
How old was that India game they were showing - are we talking 20 years or 5? Amazing that it was ever acceptable, but would be even more astonished if it was from say the 03/04 series...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
About 23 or 24 years. A very young Dean Jones and Mo Matthews, Davis opening the bowling, and Bruce Reid walking around like a mobile telephone tower; Sunil copped a corker of a nut on a dodgy MCG deck, Kapil Dev looking resplendent as usual for the visitors, and one of the Indians (Amanath [sp]?) giving himself out after handling the ball.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I've seen highlights of that before previously during a rain delay or something similar.

I remember being shocked at first, but thinking in the end its just ignorance really. I mean they're not exactly pleasant signs, but are the attitudes then any different to attitudes now?

I remember "Show us your passport" chants aimed towards Indian crowds by not just a few minority sections of teh crowd, but whole stands (ranging from well educated people, to the bogans). That doesn't make them racist, stupid yes, but not racist. Maybe, if these signs weren't frowned upon nowadays, they'd still be coming out (I'm talking about the "stick that in your turban" etc. signs and banners).

I mean, if people are chanting "Show us your passport", I see no difference compared to the signs.

Just my two cents.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah I've seen highlights of that before previously during a rain delay or something similar.

I remember being shocked at first, but thinking in the end its just ignorance really. I mean they're not exactly pleasant signs, but are the attitudes then any different to attitudes now?

I remember "Show us your passport" chants aimed towards Indian crowds by not just a few minority sections of teh crowd, but whole stands (ranging from well educated people, to the bogans). That doesn't make them racist, stupid yes, but not racist. Maybe, if these signs weren't frowned upon nowadays, they'd still be coming out (I'm talking about the "stick that in your turban" etc. signs and banners).

I mean, if people are chanting "Show us your passport", I see no difference compared to the signs.

Just my two cents.
:dontgetit

It's racist, whether it's because of ignorance or malice doesn't matter. It may not have been as deplored in society in those days, but the fact that it's become so - that it's become frowned upon - and would be utterly unacceptible these days tells you all you need to know IMO.

Let's hope most of those involved have realised the errors of their ways in the 22 years since. Let's hope they think "God, did we really do that?" rather than "I wish we could still carry those sorts of banners".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ah, that would be the 85/86 tour.
Would kill to see some of that mind. Said it a few times.

Be interesting also to see whether similar banners abounded in the tours in 80\81 and 67\68. If anyone still shows footage of the latter.

pup11

International Coach
:confused: :confused: I just can't understand why Ranatunga keeps on poking his nose into Murali's life time and again, isn't Murali smart enough do decide what's good and what's bad for him.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
TBF to Ranatunga someone asked him a question in the media interview and he answered it truthfully on what he felt. You might not agree with his views, but his allowed to have them. Also the fact that Murali himself talked to Ranatunga before deciding to come shows that Murali still values his opinion.

Athlai

Not Terrible
TBF to Ranatunga someone asked him a question in the media interview and he answered it truthfully on what he felt. Also the fact that Murali himself talked to Ranatunga before deciding to come shows that Murali still values his opinion.
Didn't listen to him though.