• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well TBH if it wasn't for the world record i doubt he will be coming. If it wasn't for that, he would just fake an injury cus he really CBF going through the stuff he goes through in Australia.
Not that big a deal for the world record though is it? Not like he can't get it in some other match.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah it is, the sooner he gets it, the sooner he can sort of what he wants to do with his future. Also he would love to give it back the Australian crowd by getting it infront of them. That way he feels he can have the last word.

The_Bunny

State Regular
Yeah it is, the sooner he gets it, the sooner he can sort of what he wants to do with his future. Also he would love to give it back the Australian crowd by getting it infront of them. That way he feels he can have the last word.
And who told you this? :blink:

pup11

International Coach
Well if Murali's starts thinking about a world record ahead of his team then i am sorry to say i don't have much respect for such an individual :thumbdown.
Don't get me wrong i have immense respect for Murali as a bowler and all that he has achieved over the years, but if he is starts playing for records rather than for his team than i don't like that aspect of his game very much.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well if Murali's starts thinking about a world record ahead of his team then i am sorry to say i don't have much respect for such an individual :thumbdown.
Don't get me wrong i have immense respect for Murali as a bowler and all that he has achieved over the years, but if he is starts playing for records rather than for his team than i don't like that aspect of his game very much.
From what I've read the exact opposite is true, that he doesn't mind when he gets the record and that he plays to win matches.

howardj

International Coach
Surely this: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22641040-23212,00.html will put the MacGill omission theories to rest. Ponting is a winner - and he wants lads on board that will help him win. Doubt he cares if they're angry, ill-disciplined, hard-to-get-along-with blokes like MacGill, or whether they're placid or whatever. Ponting's motivated by one thing - crushing other cricket teams.

Last edited:

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
And Swisse Multi-Vit.

The Swiss mastery of vitamins and minerals has long impressed me tbh...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
You do realise most cricketers know exactly every record they have as a batsmen or bowler. I doubt there would be too many players who don't know their HS or BB off the top their head. Just cus records play a significant part in their mind set doesn't mean they don't put their team first.

Really at the end of the day Murali isn't probably 100% fit to play this series, so if he really wanted to he could have pulled out, sighting fitness concern and a view to increase his playing career by coming back at full fitness. One of the major reasons why he keeps getting injuried is cus he comes back too soon. Like his going to this series, because the team needs him to have any chance of winning or even being competitive.

Also you read in the papers that the record means nothing and team performance is more important. But everyone who is close to him, has pretty much said that his only going on the tour to try and break the record in Australia. Otherwise he would have rested up and come back at full fitness of the England Test Series.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty sure it drove Fiery to getting banned as well...

I gave up a long time ago making sure all my spelling and grammer were correct. I just CBF. So your going to have to live with it or block me. Your choice.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Is it just my pedantic nature, or is this getting other people as well??
Yeah, but it's just one drop in amidst a raging torrent on these boards tbh. When time and motivation allows I really want to have a rant about the constant and breathtaking misuse of the apostrophe, both on these boards and in society as a whole. When the day comes that I inevitably snap and go on what will tbf be a pretty gun homicidal rampage, the inability of 99% of the world to use the apostrophe correctly will no doubt be one of the principal drivers.

Or driver's, as those about to die would say.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, but it's just one drop in amidst a raging torrent on these boards tbh. When time and motivation allows I really want to have a rant about the constant and breathtaking misuse of the apostrophe, both on these boards and in society as a whole. When the day comes that I inevitably snap and go on what will tbf be a pretty gun homicidal rampage, the inability of 99% of the world to use the apostrophe correctly will no doubt be one of the principal drivers.

Or driver's, as those about to die would say.
You wouldn't be the first - I'm sure both Neil Pickup and I have had a crack at poor apostrophe usage at various stages.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pretty sure it drove Fiery to getting banned as well...

I gave up a long time ago making sure all my spelling and grammer were correct. I just CBF. So your going to have to live with it or block me. Your choice.
Yeah, I really don't mind that much as long as I can understand what each poster is saying. But the problem with the his/he's thing is that I actually don't pick it up as an error at first and often end up scratching my noggin after reading it. You do it virtually every time as well; I don't think I've ever seen you use the word "he's" or even "hes." I'm not having a go at you or anything; it's just a tad irritating. I can understand it perfectly when you use a word like "cus" but the his thing grinds my gears. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Surely this: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22641040-23212,00.html will put the MacGill omission theories to rest. Ponting is a winner - and he wants lads on board that will help him win. Doubt he cares if they're angry, ill-disciplined, hard-to-get-along-with blokes like MacGill, or whether they're placid or whatever. Ponting's motivated by one thing - crushing other cricket teams.
Still baffles me why anyone would want a complete **** in their side though - surely he must think MacGill's not as nasty as some?

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's a non-issue really. People are just being pernickety about it, it's not exactly a forum that requires a perfect knowledge of the English language. Many forum dwellers' first language isn't English while even if was many can't be beggared to use formal language in such an un-formal environment.

This is a place to relax and crack open a beer and share your views with other fans, not a place to start a fight over such small things as errors (no matter how consistent or bothersome you may find them).

Dust in the wind.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I really don't mind that much as long as I can understand what each poster is saying. But the problem with the his/he's thing is that I actually don't pick it up as an error at first and often end up scratching my noggin after reading it. You do it virtually every time as well; I don't think I've ever seen you use the word "he's" or even "hes." I'm not having a go at you or anything; it's just a tad irritating. I can understand it perfectly when you use a word like "cus" but the his thing grinds my gears. :p
I blame Australia's poor schooling system and spell check. Don't know how i ever got into the habit of not using 'he's' and never got picked up for it at school. But I think these days most English teachers can't be stuffed, as I'm probably the majority rather then minority. When it comes to poor grammer, spelling and use of apostrophe. Its those basic aspects of English most of my generation lack.