• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Schedule

They've got a game against a Chairmans XI for the 27th-29th and then take on Queensland on the 2nd of November. Are Queensland likely to field a full strength team? Wouldn't mind seeing Hayden, Symonds and Johnson getting in some practice before the Test series. Would be better for Sri Lanka too, taking on a strong team to make sure they aren't underdone going into the 1st Test.
Hayden might sit out, and Symonds might also if he scores big against N.S.W., but can see Johnson playing. Although all 3 could play.

pasag

RTDAS
Hayden might sit out, and Symonds might also if he scores big against N.S.W., but can see Johnson playing. Although all 3 could play.
Would be madness to sit out any warm up games after not having played any cricket longer than a day in over 10 months unless he hasn't properly healed since the injury but if that was the case why did he play in the Twenty20?

irfan

State Captain
I'd like to see this team

Hayden
Haddin (k)
Hodge
Hussey, D
Hussey, M
Hopes
Hauritz
Hogg
Heal
Hilfenhaus
Harwood

Amazing to think that only Heal & D Hussey haven't represented Australia at some point with the remainder either firmly established/partially established or there and thereabouts.

Mister Wright

Would be madness to sit out any warm up games after not having played any cricket longer than a day in over 10 months unless he hasn't properly healed since the injury but if that was the case why did he play in the Twenty20?
Hayden is guaranteed a spot in the test side. If he makes big runs against N.S.W. he could sit out, probably unlikely, but is a possibilty.

pup11

International Coach
Isn't Harwood a bit too old to make an Odi debut, yeah he has been a consistent performer for the Bushrangers over the years in domestic cricket but with so many young Aussie quicks around i don't see the need of picking Harwood ahead of them.
Btw has Hopes recovered from his hamstring injury?

Mister Wright

Isn't Harwood a bit too old to make an Odi debut, yeah he has been a consistent performer for the Bushrangers over the years in domestic cricket but with so many young Aussie quicks around i don't see the need of picking Harwood ahead of them.
Apparently he's fit to play against N.S.W. on Friday, so if he plays I guess the answer is yes.

pasag

RTDAS
Hayden is guaranteed a spot in the test side. If he makes big runs against N.S.W. he could sit out, probably unlikely, but is a possibilty.
Yeah I know, I'd just feel alot more comfortable come the morning of the first Test knowing he has had as much FC cricket under his belt as possible in the lead up.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I notice Hussey is listed as an Opener for WA vs Vic on Friday (most likely only because Rogers is out)......hope he scores 200 as then maybe his brother might get a shot at the Aussie middle order ;)

Perm

I'd like to see this team

Hayden
Haddin (k)
Hodge
Hussey, D
Hussey, M
Hopes
Hauritz
Hogg
Heal
Hilfenhaus
Harwood

Amazing to think that only Heal & D Hussey haven't represented Australia at some point with the remainder either firmly established/partially established or there and thereabouts.
:laugh:

Perm

Yeah I know, I'd just feel alot more comfortable come the morning of the first Test knowing he has had as much FC cricket under his belt as possible in the lead up.
Same. Worst thing for a player is coming into a Test series with not enough cricket behind him.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Same. Worst thing for a player is coming into a Test series with not enough cricket behind him.
Well, there's not a problem with the amount of cricket, it's the type of cricket. To be honest, I think that someone like Hayden who has been a staple of the team for so long, as long as he's playing cricket, would be at the point where he can adjust his game from One Day to Five Day mode pretty quickly, as long as he's actually been playing.

Perm

Well, there's not a problem with the amount of cricket, it's the type of cricket. To be honest, I think that someone like Hayden who has been a staple of the team for so long, as long as he's playing cricket, would be at the point where he can adjust his game from One Day to Five Day mode pretty quickly, as long as he's actually been playing.
TBH I should've said "First Class cricket" because that's what I meant, obviously. Perhaps he could, but I'd still feel better if he had a couple of decent innings out in the middle before coming into a Test series where he will face some quality new ball bowling.

Mister Wright

TBH I should've said "First Class cricket" because that's what I meant, obviously. Perhaps he could, but I'd still feel better if he had a couple of decent innings out in the middle before coming into a Test series where he will face some quality new ball bowling.
But, you have to look at it as more than just Hayden's preparation. Sure, if he fails against N.S.W. I have no doubt he will play in the game, but given it is most likely that he'll be playing for Australia for most of the summer it may be better for Queensland if they have Broad and Moller opening against Sri Lanka. Given Hayden is coming off a hip injury if he has some good time in the middle against N.S.W. he may (or the Australian team may) want him to get some rest before the first test.

This all could be a mute point though as knowing Hayden he will probably want to play in both.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
No, it says he's going to miss the game against NSW and is 'serious doubt' for the Sri Lanka match.

pup11

International Coach
Well i am not too impressed with Ranatunga's comments :dry:, why would he advise the best bowler of his country to not be a part of a tough tour like Australia obviously there is threat of poor crowd behaviour but that shouldn't be reason for him to advise Murali not to tour Australia.
CA are doing their level best to send a clear message that poor behaviour from the crowd just won't be tolerated and if some morons from the crowd still don't listen to that and behave badly with the players than they should just be chucked out of the stadium.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I couldn't see anything good coming out of Murali not touring TBH - the competitiveness of the cricket would suffer for a start, as you would be taking the main weapon out of the Sri Lankan bowling attack, who will already be starting as underdogs against a still-powerful Australian batting line-up.

Secondly the crowd will be short-changed as they will be denied the chance to see one of the all time greats in Australia for the last time, and potentially breaking a world record while he's at it.

Finally, the reputation of Murali himself would suffer. Already criticised in some quarters for his poor record in Australia, this is a final chance for him to set that record straight. Sure, he might go to Australia, not succeed and his numbers would suffer a little, as would his reputation. But to my mind his credibility would suffer even more if he didn't go at all - whether true or not, the perception that he was protecting his averages and backing out of a confrontation against strong opposition that he might not come out on top of would be inescapable.

Very much hope he tours.