• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
I would go with -for the First Test -

Jayasuriya
Tharanga
Vandort
Sangakkara
Mahela
Atapattu
Chamara Silva
Vaas
Malinga
Dilhara
Murali

The only question mark is whether Jayasuriya should open the batting or come down the order. If SL are put in to bat first, Sangakkara and Tharanga would be my choice as openers. Otherwise even Tharanga and Vandort opening together is not too bad.

If Tharanga doesn't get some runs in the opening practice match, I would not be surprised if he gets overlooked for TT Sam. Which would mean Jayasuriya and Vandort opening and TT Sam coming at 7.
I would go with
Attapatu
Vandort
Sangakara
Jawardena
Samaraweera
Silva
Jayasuriya
Vass
Malinga
Fernando
Murali

Lets hope for the sake of Sri Lanka being competitve they dont choose Prassana or Mubarak. Tharanga is below Vandort in class IMO.

Regards to Marvan what a mess i agree completly he should be there but he hasnt played any cricket, nor has he been in a good mood. Lets hope he is fully focused. We need him.

pup11

International Coach
Jayasuriya is much better off batting at no.6 or 7 and Atappatu should open with Vandort, Tharanga has an obvious flaw in his technique outside off-stump and as an opener he would struggle in test match cricket with that sort of a glitch in his technique.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I would go with
Attapatu
Vandort
Sangakara
Jawardena
Samaraweera
Silva
Jayasuriya
Vass
Malinga
Fernando
Murali

Lets hope for the sake of Sri Lanka being competitve they dont choose Prassana or Mubarak. Tharanga is below Vandort in class IMO.

Regards to Marvan what a mess i agree completly he should be there but he hasnt played any cricket, nor has he been in a good mood. Lets hope he is fully focused. We need him.

That seems a good move to put Atapattu at the top. But I hope he gets some runs in the opening practice game. Likewise , its a toss-up between TT Samaraweera and Tharanga, IMO. But I fear Mubarak will get a 30 or 40 (in the practice Match)and will get picked instead.

Should Jayasuriya come so low down the order...should he not be coming at 4 or 5 if anything and no lower ?

Any news on the new guy , Welagedera ?

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Any chance of Warne and Ranatunga shaking hands and making up in the interests of good cricketing relationship between the 2 countries ?:laugh:

And any chance of Howard and Murali shaking hands ?:)

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope Trevor Bayliss taps into some of the SL supporters in Australia such as Bruce Yardley, Tom Moody , Dav Whatmore among others in getting the strategies ready so that he gets the best and most prepared team out at the Tests.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
i think the game is next week or something? coz lanka are playing us on nov 8 so it has to be before that *unsure
I think the Australian PMs game is being played when SriLanka come back next time around for the Tri-series (VB series) in December/January.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope the weather holds out well for the 2 practice games ie Adelaide 27-29 and Allan Border Field 2-4 th November.

Laurrz

International Debutant
what u guys think about reverse swing?

Malinga is the main exponent for Lanka.. Vaas can do it too as shown in England

it isnt as big a factor in oz coz of the kookaburra... but last Ashes Binger showed you can.. (and oddly the pom bowlers were ineffective bar Hoggy at times)
but other than Binger..would you call Sarfraz or Midge reverse swingers? im not sure... Tait definately..

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
That seems a good move to put Atapattu at the top. But I hope he gets some runs in the opening practice game. Likewise , its a toss-up between TT Samaraweera and Tharanga, IMO. But I fear Mubarak will get a 30 or 40 (in the practice Match)and will get picked instead.

Should Jayasuriya come so low down the order...should he not be coming at 4 or 5 if anything and no lower ?

Any news on the new guy , Welagedera ?
Hmm Sanath since he is aggresive batsman i thought he can bat with the tail better than say a Samaraweera or an Attapatu. Welagdera is slighlty quicker than chaminda vass obiviously fully deserves his place he has been in terrific form for the A side.

But our bowling stocks are pretty well balanced and settled i hope welagedra gets a chance in the CB series. He has got the good (not another ruchira perera IMO)

Athlai

Not Terrible
TBH I'm expecting Fernando to do well in this series, which is a shocking sentiment in my books, never been fond of him, he's just been bowling well lately. Malinga will always do well against tail-enders but will probably have trouble with an Australian top order with some momentum but will no doubt manage a couple break-throughs nevertheless. Vaas I think will be handled well by the Aussies and won't look as good as he has done in the past.

And I have no idea how Murali's going to do, but I have a feeling every new name in the team is going to be humbled by him.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm pretty sure Sri Lanka's first game is against Queensland this weekend.
Schedule

They've got a game against a Chairmans XI for the 27th-29th and then take on Queensland on the 2nd of November. Are Queensland likely to field a full strength team? Wouldn't mind seeing Hayden, Symonds and Johnson getting in some practice before the Test series. Would be better for Sri Lanka too, taking on a strong team to make sure they aren't underdone going into the 1st Test.