• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Pakistan

pup11

International Coach
There is no sense in having Afridi in a test team for his batting alone, his batting is too unpredictable for test cricket, one day he might destroy the opposition bowling and on others he might just throw away his wicket rather cheaply (and that happens often), so if he is selected in the test team or for that matter in Odi's too, he should only be considered as a leg-spinner who can bat.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Whether Afridi is a slogger in Test cricket may be debatable.

However, he is still very aggressive, dominates on flat, benign tracks that allows him to throw the bat at the ball and doesnt have the technique to graft, accumulate and build innings when things are seaming or swinging around

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There is no sense in having Afridi in a test team for his batting alone, his batting is too unpredictable for test cricket, one day he might destroy the opposition bowling and on others he might just throw away his wicket rather cheaply (and that happens often), so if he is selected in the test team or for that matter in Odi's too, he should only be considered as a leg-spinner who can bat.
LOL. A leg-spinner who can bat? If anything he will be in the side as a batting allrounder.

Mister Wright

Whether Afridi is a slogger in Test cricket may be debatable.

However, he is still very aggressive, dominates on flat, benign tracks that allows him to throw the bat at the ball and doesnt have the technique to graft, accumulate and build innings when things are seaming or swinging around
Yeah. Definitely agree with that.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Good start for Pakistan. Anybody watching this? How good was Amla's dismissal. I'd be watching it but Zee Sports would rather show the India vs Australia ODI.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Good start for Pakistan. Anybody watching this? How good was Amla's dismissal. I'd be watching it but Zee Sports would rather show the India vs Australia ODI.
Yea, Pakistan doing well here. They need Kallis though - that man is ridiculously good. I have a feeling Asif will get Graeme Smith.

haroon510

International 12th Man
what is the point of playing two spiners when the pictch isn't helpful for spiners.. it is intersting to see who is going to open pakistan's innings

haroon510

International 12th Man
we got lucky that they drop hafeez finnaly but they still have the unfortunate dismisal of the batsman kamran akmal in the team
how many catches is he going to drop this time i wonder..

Perm

what is the point of playing two spiners when the pictch isn't helpful for spiners.. it is intersting to see who is going to open pakistan's innings
Abdur Rehman is a much better bowler than Rao Iftikhar Anjum, that's my guess. It will probably be Butt and Akmal to open, although I would like to see Malik lead from the front and do it.

IMO,Pakistan is a seamer short in this match,wicket has fair bit of support for pacers but Pakistan have got no one(decent) as the helping back up bowler.Getting 10 overs in a row from Asif in the 1st session wasn't a good decision either.Umar Gul's original seam position is also not going to help him achieve much on this wicket.If they wanted a decent batsman at # 7,then they should've dropped Misbah also & played Sohail Tanvir in his place who's a genuine allrounder.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Good day's work by the Pakistani bowlers. Now let's wrap up the tail tomorrow fairly early and we've got a good chance of leveling the series!

shortpitched713

International Captain
I'm optimistic, but cautiously so. Things are fairly even at this stage, maybe even a bit in SA's favor taking the pitch into consideration. Pakistan in not nearly as advantageous of a position as cricinfo's report would seem to indicate.