• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree, but as you say, let's leave it at that - other than to say that I hope that, should you feel something does go against SL during this series, you'll recall that these are two umpires you feel aren't biased against SL.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Disagree, but as you say, let's leave it at that - other than to say that I hope that, should you feel something does go against SL during this series, you'll recall that these are two umpires you feel aren't biased against SL.
Lets agree to disagree and call it quits...:)

I really have seen these 2 officiating SL games for years and have never had any major concerns....

pup11

International Coach
I think its about time JASON stops complaining about how Asian teams always seem to get the rough end of the stick, its not about Asia vs the rest of the world if anything Asian teams and boards have bigger control over cricket's economy and they have large say in how ICC runs things, so to believe that Asian teams are targeted or anything like that is not right, at the end of the day whichever team or player does well gets credit for it and to think umpires make biased decisions knowingly is so very wrong because the umpires are doing a performance oriented job and if their decision making accuracy dips they are booted out of the job.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think its about time JASON stops complaining about how Asian teams always seem to get the rough end of the stick, its not about Asia vs the rest of the world if anything Asian teams and boards have bigger control over cricket's economy and they have large say in how ICC runs things, so to believe that Asian teams are targeted or anything like that is not right, at the end of the day whichever team or player does well gets credit for it and to think umpires make biased decisions knowingly is so very wrong because the umpires are doing a performance oriented job and if their decision making accuracy dips they are booted out of the job.
AWTA,

Athlai

Not Terrible
Though there have been more cases bad decisions in matches involving the Asian teams, to be honest I never want to see a potentially bias umpire. They should be perfectly neutral in no matter what match they are officiating. Though I don't think it's a major problem in cricket today as international cricketing boards do their job to ensure that it isn't an issue.

Good to see they took the precautionary measure of using these two experienced and respected umpires for this tour, especially with the Murali vs. Australia history.

I'd frankly just like to see some cricket, but dismissing the issue entirely is going a little to far.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Though there have been more cases bad decisions in matches involving the Asian teams, to be honest I never want to see a potentially bias umpire. They should be perfectly neutral in no matter what match they are officiating. Though I don't think it's a major problem in cricket today as international cricketing boards do their job to ensure that it isn't an issue.

Good to see they took the precautionary measure of using these two experienced and respected umpires for this tour, especially with the Murali vs. Australia history.

I'd frankly just like to see some cricket, but dismissing the issue entirely is going a little to far.
Absolutely well said...A balanced comment.

To dismiss Umpiring as a non issue is ridiculous particularly with regard to whats gone before when SL toured Australia and when Australia toured SL (with Chris Broad saga).

I know some would like to think its a non issue as far as they are concerned, but thats the way it would seem from where they stand, but unfortunately not at the other end...

I was planning to stop discussing this issue any further until Pup re-started this discussion.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, everyone loves Australia.
TBH I think it'd be naive and idealistic to claim that Brent Bowden isn't impacted by Umpiring Australian games, especially in Australia - or, at least, hasn't been in the past; I can't recall him standing in many of said games of late.

Sadly, too, Bob Willis' description of Daryl Harper ("hopeless") hasn't been far from the truth of late. Obviously he doesn't Umpire Australia Tests any more, thankfully, so he can only ever be called hopeless rather than biased.

Struggling to think of anyone else, though, aside from the earlier mentioned ones (one of whom went through his own spell of hopelessness, lasting 3 years between 2002 and 2004\05) - it's been a loooooooooong time since I was able to name all members of the Elite Panel.

Lostman

State Captain
the fact that Langer got away with flicking over the bails while fielding, then appealed for a wicket but was not punished for even some minor thing still makes my blood boil to this day.

That stunt was in the same category as Afridi's bush league pitch dance.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
TBH I think it'd be naive and idealistic to claim that Brent Bowden isn't impacted by Umpiring Australian games, especially in Australia - or, at least, hasn't been in the past; I can't recall him standing in many of said games of late.

Sadly, too, Bob Willis' description of Daryl Harper ("hopeless") hasn't been far from the truth of late. Obviously he doesn't Umpire Australia Tests any more, thankfully, so he can only ever be called hopeless rather than biased.

Struggling to think of anyone else, though, aside from the earlier mentioned ones (one of whom went through his own spell of hopelessness, lasting 3 years between 2002 and 2004\05) - it's been a loooooooooong time since I was able to name all members of the Elite Panel.
Billy Bowden?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dono why, but I always call him by his actual name rather than his assumed name.

Never been able to work-out why TBH. :dontgetit Yes, there is possibly some connection between this and my extra-special use of CW real-names (where no posting-ID correspondance) and my determination to use them and teach others of them (where, obviously, those being spoken of don't mind).

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dono why, but I always call him by his actual name rather than his assumed name.

Never been able to work-out why TBH. :dontgetit Yes, there is possibly some connection between this and my extra-special use of CW real-names (where no posting-ID correspondance) and my determination to use them and teach others of them (where, obviously, those being spoken of don't mind).
You just have to be different don't you :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That totally requires an Australia meet-up thread, which UIMM we haven't got yet.