• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Murali will be back for both Tests. I hear he could play all five ODIs against England but they decided to rest him. He could have played at pinch in the Twenty20 WC as well. If Sri Lanka are 2-1 or 3-0 down in ODI series against England he might come back for the last two matches. Pretty confident TBH that he will play both Tests.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good news that Muralitharan will be back, the Sri Lankan bowling attack wouldn't stand a chance without him IMO.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, if the Aussies score some runs against Murali, Malinga and Vaas operating in combo maybe they'll finally get some respect without the qualification "oh, but that was our worst bowling attack", or "a horribly out of form bowling attack"! :dry:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah, if the Aussies score some runs against Murali, Malinga and Vaas operating in combo maybe they'll finally get some respect without the qualification "oh, but that was our worst bowling attack", or "a horribly out of form bowling attack"! :dry:
No they still will, Murali's bad record in Australia and Malinga's inexperience, Vaas isn't enough to make a good attack. ;) Hopefully Those three will crush Aus and then they will be named as a good attack.

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
Good news that Muralitharan will be back, the Sri Lankan bowling attack wouldn't stand a chance without him IMO.

Mmm, Murali + Vaas + Malinga + Dilhara = probably the strongest touring bowling unit to Aus since WI in '92. The wkts will be early summer, green tops...prepared specifically to negate the Murali effect. But the Lankan pace bowling is impressive. What a prospect!

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mmm, Murali + Vaas + Malinga + Dilhara = probably the strongest touring bowling unit to Aus since WI in '92. The wkts will be early summer, green tops...prepared specifically to negate the Murali effect. But the Lankan pace bowling is impressive. What a prospect!
Without Muralitharan I don't think they would stand a chance. Dilhara is a loose unit, has a no-ball problem and is terribly inconsistent. Vaas is aging and is no longer the force he was, while Malinga is still pretty new to Test cricket and I still feel the Australians will handle him well.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The wickets will be exactly what we've seen in Australia for the last three seasons: flat as a tac at all venues.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
much much better, so happy to see you back to your pessimistic self, was a bit worried when you said that SL will beat Aus about a month ago.:laugh:
Have to be realistic though.... the 20/20 encounter (while you can't read too much into it) and SL's performance at World Cup v Australia and past Test series all show what a real Mental Edge (as well as Talent Edge) the Aussies have over us.... So unless we play out of our skins and lot of Luck goes our way, I can't see anything but a 2-0 loss pessimistic you might say...but that's the realist in me saying that....:ph34r:

And if Murali gets hounded and is not performing we could lose these Tests in 2-3 days (even before I get a chance to make it to the Tests:laugh: ) and by Innings or massive margins...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
One thing I am certain, Australia will try to bat first to negate Murali effect on the 4th inings (if we get to the 4th innings:) ) and they will probably never enforce a follow on if it means batting last v Murali ...to negate the effect ( and possibly to stop him getting Warneys record in Australia)

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
One thing I am certain, Australia will try to bat first to negate Murali effect on the 4th inings (if we get to the 4th innings:) ) and they will probably never enforce a follow on if it means batting last v Murali ...to negate the effect ( and possibly to stop him getting Warneys record in Australia)
I'm certain they'll be much more interested in winning matches than Warne's record.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks for sharing. Would be nice if you focused on the real issues for a change though.
Most Sri Lankans will be pleased about that as that can be a real issue against Australia in Australia as many a Team has found summer after summer....

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Most Sri Lankans will be pleased about that as that can be a real issue against Australia in Australia as many a Team has found summer after summer....
The fact that this is complete rubbish, was my point. Carry on theorising though.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty this will be Bucknor 10th season in a row umpiring in Australia. So can he apply for citizenship. He probably spends more time in Australia then my work mates parents.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
With neutral umpires?
How neutral is a Neutral Umpire ? We haven't had any issues with Neutral Umpires before??? Darrell Hair anyone..:laugh: ....The World Cup Final Fiasco where overs were cut haphazardly after the rain interruption, for another ....

As an Australian, I can see you guys would certainly have no reason to have issues with umpiring....but those at the receiving end time after time don't see it that way...

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
:huh: Darrell Hair wasn't a neutral when he was umpiring Aus-SL.

If you're concerned about the Australian umpire for the ODIs, that's one thing, but I don't understand the concern with the neutral umpire(s) for the ODI/Tests.

The World Cup final was a fiasco, but I don't see how you can say that was a result of bias against the SL team. They were unlucky because they were batting second - if they'd won the toss and batted first, then it would have been Australia who got the rough end of the pineapple.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I was alluding to "Darrell Hair" as a Netral Umpire in England v Pakistan as an example of how Neutral Umpires may indeed be far from Neutral...

We all know 'Neutral Umpire' is all good in theory but some Teams get the rough end of the stick even from Neutral Umps.....Its hard for an Australian to see this ....But lets leave it at that..

Hence my comment re Dar and Bucknor as most Sri Lankan fans would be happy with those 2 than some of the others...