• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
I'd assume that unless the translation was more far reaching than normal, the story still features Potter as an English child, living in England, attending an English school. My understanding, and I might be trading in out-dated stereotypes here, is that a lot of Afrikaners had little time for the Poms. ;)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd assume that unless the translation was more far reaching than normal, the story still features Potter as an English child, living in England, attending an English school. My understanding, and I might be trading in out-dated stereotypes here, is that a lot of Afrikaners had little time for the Poms. ;)
Yup, that's exactly what I was thinking. Wasn't sure whether it's still the case or not, but it definitely used to be.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Would love to get my hands on Larwood's and Jardine's books on the subject. Any idea of any places in Melbourne to have a look?
Dont know about Melbourne but you can buy Larwood's:-
Larwood Story, The: Inside Story of the Famous Bodyline Controversy
Larwood, Harold; Perkins, Kevin
from
Jo's Books
(Gerringong, NSW, Australia)​

and Douglas Jardine's In Quest of The Ashes from
Brian Davies Books
(Manly, NSW, Australia)​

Joe Ninety

School Boy/Girl Captain
I found On Top Down Under 1st revised Edition(1976)the other day for $AUS1.Yay. I can also thoroughly recommend "The Cradle Days of Australian Cricket", An anthology of the writings of 'Felix' (T.P.Horan) published in1989. Not only a great read but also photos of some of the best beards ever seen on a cricket pitch.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Nice finds Joe Ninety. Welcome to CW by the way. Given your good taste in literature, I reckon you'll like it here! ;)

archie mac

International Coach
I found On Top Down Under 1st revised Edition(1976)the other day for $AUS1.Yay. I can also thoroughly recommend "The Cradle Days of Australian Cricket", An anthology of the writings of 'Felix' (T.P.Horan) published in1989. Not only a great read but also photos of some of the best beards ever seen on a cricket pitch.
The cradle days is a great read, and Horan one of the greatest of all Australian cricket writers:)

Joe Ninety

School Boy/Girl Captain
Its amazing where you can find some of these books. I found On Top Down Under at a fruit and veg markets one Saturday morning.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
I read Calypso Cricket by Roland Fishman. Its about the 1991 tour to the WI
I vote this book as the worst cricket book I have ever read. Unfortunately I got rid of my copy only to be given another one. However, Archie and I obviously (but rarely) disagree about this. I seem to remember that it caused quite a stir at the time.

archie mac

International Coach
I vote this book as the worst cricket book I have ever read. Unfortunately I got rid of my copy only to be given another one. However, Archie and I obviously (but rarely) disagree about this. I seem to remember that it caused quite a stir at the time.
I think because I am quite a bit younger than you ACU, I related more to the book:laugh:

Seriously I enjoyed some of the behind the scenes stuff he gave us about the players, something I had rearly read in any other cricket book before this one.

He was given access because he was a mate of Matthews, but that friendship soon ended after this book came out:)

neville cardus

International Debutant
I'd assume that unless the translation was more far reaching than normal, the story still features Potter as an English child, living in England, attending an English school.
In which case it certainly didn't go over my head; I was looking stupidly for some deep, hidden comedy.

My understanding, and I might be trading in out-dated stereotypes here, is that a lot of Afrikaners had little time for the Poms. ;)
Nope. That's emphatically still the case.