• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Hopes flown in to replace Watto.

Congrats to Bracken! Hope everything goes alright for them. :)

pup11

International Coach
@adharcric, chill mate i didn't knew Chawla was injured, btw what happened to him?
I am really disappointed that Hussey has been ruled out of this series, i was looking forward to seeing how he performs on slower Indian tracks.
Anyways good chance for Hopes to prove his worth as an all-rounder at this level.

adharcric

International Coach
@adharcric, chill mate i didn't knew Chawla was injured, btw what happened to him?
I am really disappointed that Hussey has been ruled out of this series, i was looking forward to seeing how he performs on slower Indian tracks.
Anyways good chance for Hopes to prove his worth as an all-rounder at this level.
Yeah, I get pissed when I see people taking random shots at the Indian selectors or cricketers, without knowing what's really going on, just because of certain stereotypes. Well, I could've opted for "what the hell" instead of "what the ****". :cool:

Laurrz

International Debutant
with the squad the team will probably be

Gilly+*
Haydos
Hodge
Clarke
Symo
Haddin
Hopes
Hogg
Lee
Johnson
Clark

12th - Hilfy... hope Hilfy plays but they will probably not choose him

no Ponting, Tait, Bracken, Hussey, Watson.. India should win the first few but then Ponting and Bracken should be back

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Hussey's replacement will come from : Dave Hussey, Adam Voges or Cam White imo.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
to SJS, Richard and Adharcric,

I think now they should pick Yousuf Pathan as the replacement, unless they suddenly decide to resurrect Murali Kartik's international career.....

And yes, I would like to see Uthappa ahead of Gambhir and I would like to see us NOT play 3 left armers in the same game... We have tried that once or twice before and it never really worked out for us. You don't have to play someone JUST for the sake of variety and Sreesanth, even though he can erratic, has shown decent enough potential to justify him being picked ahead of one of the left armers, just for variety's sake.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
to SJS, Richard and Adharcric,

I think now they should pick Yousuf Pathan as the replacement, unless they suddenly decide to resurrect Murali Kartik's international career.....

And yes, I would like to see Uthappa ahead of Gambhir and I would like to see us NOT play 3 left armers in the same game... We have tried that once or twice before and it never really worked out for us. You don't have to play someone JUST for the sake of variety and Sreesanth, even though he can erratic, has shown decent enough potential to justify him being picked ahead of one of the left armers, just for variety's sake.
I agree with you that we should not pick up a left ahnder only because we have this funny notion of a left hander and a right hander at the crease creating problems for the bowler. This has some merit in it but not enough to influence selection. Even settled batting orders should not be changed just to force a left hander along with a right hander at the crease.

Australia have no pronblem with two left handed openers nor have Sri Lanka but in India we manufacture these 'reasons' to justify choices we have already made.

Yes if Gambhir is considered a better batsman tha Uthappa by the selectors, they are at liberty to select him.

I think there mights still be a lingering doubt about Uthappa being a predominantly front foot player whci will cause him to be 'found out' in the 50-50 format. On the other hand is his brilliant fielding.

I think Uthappa will play. If he doesn't it will be a touch and go decision and he will come in at the first failure of competition.

I am still not convinced that the selectors have rid themselves of Karthik as pure batsman idea. This is extremely detrimental. We must have pure batsmen fighting for the batting slots. Shifting goal posts makes it a tad unfair to players like Uthappa, Rohit Sharma etc.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I agree with you that we should not pick up a left ahnder only because we have this funny notion of a left hander and a right hander at the crease creating problems for the bowler. This has some merit in it but not enough to influence selection. Even settled batting orders should not be changed just to force a left hander along with a right hander at the crease.

Australia have no pronblem with two left handed openers nor have Sri Lanka but in India we manufacture these 'reasons' to justify choices we have already made.

Yes if Gambhir is considered a better batsman tha Uthappa by the selectors, they are at liberty to select him.

I think there mights still be a lingering doubt about Uthappa being a predominantly front foot player whci will cause him to be 'found out' in the 50-50 format. On the other hand is his brilliant fielding.

I think Uthappa will play. If he doesn't it will be a touch and go decision and he will come in at the first failure of competition.

I am still not convinced that the selectors have rid themselves of Karthik as pure batsman idea. This is extremely detrimental. We must have pure batsmen fighting for the batting slots. Shifting goal posts makes it a tad unfair to players like Uthappa, Rohit Sharma etc.
I think they just like to have Karthik around as an insurance for Dhoni and also because, he has shown that he has quite a bit of batting ability, esp. a decent technique against the moving ball, which is a rare phenomenon in India. IN fact, I would back Karthik more than a regular opener like Gambhir or Uthappa if the condiitions suit swing. We all saw how Uthappa looked at Trinidad in the WC, when the ball did a bit upfront.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I think they just like to have Karthik around as an insurance for Dhoni and also because, he has shown that he has quite a bit of batting ability, esp. a decent technique against the moving ball, which is a rare phenomenon in India. IN fact, I would back Karthik more than a regular opener like Gambhir or Uthappa if the condiitions suit swing. We all saw how Uthappa looked at Trinidad in the WC, when the ball did a bit upfront.
I can understand an insurance in a squad when on tour but an insurance in an eleven ?

Where is the question of opener if we are going to open with Sachin and Saurav. Till that changes, Karthik or anyone else as opener in odi's is purely for debate.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I can understand an insurance in a squad when on tour but an insurance in an eleven ?

Where is the question of opener if we are going to open with Sachin and Saurav. Till that changes, Karthik or anyone else as opener in odi's is purely for debate.

My bad. I thought you meant he shouldn't be considered as a batter in tests as well.

I agree that for home ODIs, there is no need for an insurance keeper.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member

Gilly+*
Haydos
Hodge
Clarke
Symo
Haddin
Hopes
Hogg
Lee
Johnson
Clark

no Ponting, Tait, Bracken, Hussey, Watson.. India should win the first few but then Ponting and Bracken should be back
Hussey's replacement will come from : Dave Hussey, Adam Voges or Cam White imo.
Yeah, not a bad chance to give Haddin a bit of a run in the team with the bat and see how he goes - he's likely to be a fixture sooner than D.Hussey, Voges or White, so why not blood him while we can? The only thing is IIRC he's a bit of a liability in the field when not behind the stumps.

pup11

International Coach
I don't think Haddin would be selected in the team (and IIRC he is not even the part of the squad, he is there just as a backup for Ponting), i think whoever is Hussey's replacement would probably bat at 7.
In that case David Hussey is the best option, he has been in great form and on the other hand White and Voges haven't showed much form.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Gilly+*
Haydos
Hodge
Clarke
Symo
Haddin
Hopes
Hogg
Lee
Johnson
Clark

I just don't understand why, when they've got 2 wicketkeepers in the same XI, they give the gloves to the one opening. :huh: Seems to make no sense, unless Gilchrist was far ahead of Haddin as a wicketkeeper which, UIMM, he's not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:confused:

Personally, I think it's simple - you pick the best bowlers, regardless of what arm they bowl with. If 4 left-armers are your best bowlers, pick 'em all. If it's 4 right-armers, pick them all. If it's 2 each, same.

Makes no sense to use which arm someone bowls with as a denominator.

Now, right now it's perfectly justifiable to pick S ahead of Irfan purely on bowling, but because of Irfan's batting, he has a case. And obviously Zaheer and Rudra Pratap have to play.