• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Agree sideshow what have we really got to lose.
Australia might not have a lot to lose but Moises does. Say he gets picked, gets hammered. What'll that do for him? Can't really help, and might not do any harm but equally, might do. What's more, it means that later on in his career and after it he'll be being judged on matches he shouldn't have been playing.
I remember we picked shane and brett lee on just as much as experience as moises has had.BTW shane playing grade this year.
And look how sensationally well those two did...

sideshowtim

Banned
Moey is 20 by the way. Has performed well in State cricket. We gave Cozzie and Cullen a shot on the last Bangladesh tour. Cozzie did well actually.

One dayers are the time to experiment with these kind of options. Moey may not set the world on fire straight away, but it can only be good for his future.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Surely no-one would dispute, though, the notion that Cosgrove and Cullen are way short of international standard (for wildly differing reasons) though? If it's just a series against Bangladesh, well, sort of fair enough. But I don't feel playing ODIs (or Tests) as a "taster" is the greatest idea - as I say, it may not end-up mattering much to the team but the player will later be judged on matches he shouldn't really be playing (many would argue that the matches would have been better not played, indeed) and this is something I always hate to see, really.

In any case, has Moises played more than a season? Cosgrove's been around for ages now, and Cullen for, what, 2 or 3 seasons?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Surely no-one would dispute, though, the notion that Cosgrove and Cullen are way short of international standard (for wildly differing reasons) though? If it's just a series against Bangladesh, well, sort of fair enough. But I don't feel playing ODIs (or Tests) as a "taster" is the greatest idea - as I say, it may not end-up mattering much to the team but the player will later be judged on matches he shouldn't really be playing (many would argue that the matches would have been better not played, indeed) and this is something I always hate to see, really.

In any case, has Moises played more than a season? Cosgrove's been around for ages now, and Cullen for, what, 2 or 3 seasons?
Moises has even played one season yet. He played the one day final back in 2005-06, and then played the odd game in both forms in the 2006-07. He would have played less than 50% of the games total though - sometimes left out due to injury and sometimes due to other players simply being preferred (and that non-selection was towards the end of the season, too - it's not like he dramatically improved or anything).

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
There's one ODI too many played these days, and this series seems to be one too many...

...but with the World Champs being the other team, would there be some substance to the series? Unless of course, they again send an under-strength team to India like they did in 2003, with a bowling attack of Williams, Bracken and Bichel...

biased indian

International Coach
There's one ODI too many played these days, and this series seems to be one too many...

...but with the World Champs being the other team, would there be some substance to the series? Unless of course, they again send an under-strength team to India like they did in 2003, with a bowling attack of Williams, Bracken and Bichel...
that was the best bowling line up that was available to them then....

Bracken is still around and Bichel was in the form of his life during 02-03
may be williams is the only one who was not good enough for the international standards

Last edited:

biased indian

International Coach
The second game of the ODI seris might be a wash out.......

it has been raining every single day in cochin for the last 20 days...and they are yet to get a one full day with out rain this month..if it continues to rain for 4 to 5 more days ..we might well have under prepared pitch ...or may not have a game at all :(

pup11

International Coach
I don't like idea of a 6 match odi series because then there is always a chance of a drawn series, but as long as a series is entertaining and competetive i really don't care about the length of the series.
Btw, good news for Australia, i read Ponting's article in TOI today and he wrote that he would probably be fit in time to play in the 3rd Odi.

sideshowtim

Banned
I don't like idea of a 6 match odi series because then there is always a chance of a drawn series, but as long as a series is entertaining and competetive i really don't care about the length of the series.
Btw, good news for Australia, i read Ponting's article in TOI today and he wrote that he would probably be fit in time to play in the 3rd Odi.
That's awesome news!

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The question of 2,4 or 6 ODI's is a no-brainer. There would be no reason that anybody could come up with that meant an even number of ODI's were scheduled, as the chances of having a drawn series would be much, much bigger.

pup11

International Coach
Anyways who has replaced Watto in the squad has it been announced yet?
I am also really worried about Hussey he looked like he had done some damage to his hammy yesterday, i just hope its nothing serious. *fingers crossed*

Laurrz

International Debutant
Gilchrist+*
Hayden
Hodge
Clarke
Symonds
Hussey
Hopes?
Hogg
Lee
Bracken
Clark

I really want to see Hilfy play in this series.. i hope theres room for him through the series.. in dead rubbers i suppose if there is any

thats great Punter will only miss 2 ODI's (touchwood)

well im glad i can watch ODI's again.. and watch some proper batting.. hopefully our troubles with the middle order and the 5th bowler is magnituded in this series

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
Indian batsmen are a "scared species", making them an easy prey for the Australian pace battery in the upcoming ODI series, feel former Australian bowlers Ray Bright and Rodney Hogg.

Former pacers Hogg and Bright, a left-arm spinner of the 70's, felt the Indians would not get much of a home advantage in the seven-match series starting September 29.

"Well I say, Good Luck. Which they (India) would need," Hogg was quoted as saying by Neo Sports.

"Unfortunately India tends to play Bangladesh a lot, so they tend to stretch up cricket," said Bright as he took potshot at the Indian line-up.

Hogg described the Indian batsmen as "arrogant" and said they were scared of facing pacers. "Couple of Indian batsmen are scared species, might be slightly arrogant and certainly there is no way to hide when people like Clark are going to go to India. With their pace there's nowhere to hide," he said.

Former Australian batsman Gary Cosier echoed a similar view and said Indians would buckle under pressure when faced with an accurate attack.

"Australia's bowlers and fieldsmen have impacts and they tend to put so much pressure on these very, very good players that the result is not very good at the end of the game," Cosier said.

Hogg criticised the decision to bring back Sourav Ganguly into the team and said the ex-captain has been brought back only because of "political" clout.

"He just probably had political numbers that's why he's back in their squad. That's why Greg felt like he was playing too much just for himself," he said.

Bright also felt that both Ganguly and Sachin Tendulkar were past there prime. "The Tendulkars and Gangulys are not perhaps the players they were five years ago."
Bright and Cosier said if Indians wanted to do well in the series, they would have to improve their fielding drastically.

"Well I think they've got to really back themselves and I'm not sure if they are as positive as they have been and they still need to work on their fielding that's been to me a very poor example of how one day cricket should be played," said Bright.

"They need to field exceptionally well and they need players who are on the border of not playing too much longer," Cosier added.

hindustantimes.com