• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne's top 50 cricketers

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You can almost guarantee that he'll include Taylor and probably Dean friggin' Jones (he is a Victorian)

Makes a lie out of those of us who believe that players are the best judges

Waugh is arguably the best Oz batsman since Bradman and he rates him behind guys that arent in the same class - he's obviously forgotten how he carried the team (and especially Taylor) in the early/mid 90s.

If "match-winner" is a criteria then Tendy and Lara are out I'm afraid.

And Hughes ahead of Donald bwuhahahahahahaha

Those 2 are personality contests (Steve Waugh is a prize prat and Warne loves Merv)

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great list, like others have said, it's far more interesting than a list of the regular suspects would be. IMO his final 10 will be:

10.Akram
9.Healy
8.Border
7.Ambrose
6.Ponting
5.Tendulkar
4.Lara
3.Taylor
2.Murali
1.McGrath

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar will definitely be ahead of Lara for mine. Not that I'm saying he should be, but Warne has always rated Tendulkar the toughest batsman to bowl to.

iamdavid

International Debutant
The final 10 will be interesting, there is going to be a suprise or two because there are 11 (12 if he includes himself) players I would really expect to figure, but only 10 spots.

T'would be unjust if he left Laxman out because although he's not in the same league as a player as the likes of Wasim, Ambrose, Lara, Tendulkar, etc. I think he has played Warne better than any other batsman in test cricket, albeit from limited oppurtunities.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Possibly Border, no doubt Warne holds him in great regard as a player/captain but Border was only around for a fraction of his career.

Dissector

International Debutant
Warne may not have played much with Border but he didn't play much against Shastri or Kapil either. It would be absurd to leave out Border from the top 50 while including players like May and Siddons.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Exactly right, someone major is now going to miss out completely - not just on the top 10, but on the entire 50...

I thought Tubby was a banker but if he makes the list, who goes? I can't see him leaving out AB, while the likes of Sachin, BCL, Pidge, Akram and Ambrose are locks. He was very close with Heals, and obviously Punter has to make it...so that's 8. Assuming Laxman's remarkable performances against Warne and Australia get him a spot, that leaves Tubby and Murali fighting it out for one place.

What odds now on Murali missing out completely?

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
Nah, even Warne isn't enough of an ass to do that. It would look like a terrible case of sour grapes when Murali is poised to break his record.

My bet is that Laxman will lose out. Certainly among the other top ten contenders he is the least accomplished.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Agreed. It wouldn't look good - and would be flat out wrong too - but Warney of all people probably doesn't care!

Ranking those eleven names purely as cricketers, Laxman (or maybe Tubby) would come in 11th. But we know this list isn't just a "best player" ranking, and given some (a lot?) of the blokes who've made the list so far then whoever of that remaining eleven misses out will be very, very hard done by.

biased indian

International Coach
since this list is for 50 players and laxman have not been there upto now....means he will in all probability make it to the 10th position

i now feel that he might leave out Murali......

Xuhaib

International Coach
I dont think anyone major is going to miss out, didn't Shoaib/Mcdermott and Saeed/YoYo shared a spot earlier in the list.

biased indian

International Coach
Lol, not a chance. Lara and Flower are the two best players of spin in the least 25 years or so, in my opinion. Tendulkar obviously still a great player of spin, but he doesn't come near Lara for mine.
But as far as warne is considred i think Tendulkar played him better than lara.