• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne's top 50 cricketers

iamdavid

International Debutant
I think number one will be either Tendulkar, Murali or McGrath....He wont put himself number one I'd almost bet on it, he has always come across as quite humble in interviews regarding play, dosent really like to play his own trumpet which might seem a bit out of character for him. Always seems to deflect alot of praise onto his team-mates, so it wouldnt suprise me if McGrath were number one, with Warne saying he made his own job alot easier.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I've never seen, read or heard anything from Warne to make me think he rates Murali anywhere near the top of the cricketers he's played with or against. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if Murali doesn't even come in as the highest rated spinner.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Murali will make the list. I will be EXTREMELY surprised if he doesn't.

Warne's comments on Waugh were very interesting to say the least.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh no question he'll make it in my mind either - I just can't possibly see him being at or even close to no.1 the way some have suggested.

pasag

RTDAS
Love Warne, been retired for half a year and still makes the headlines more than any other Australian cricketer (not for the wrong reasons mind you). Agree with vic as well, this is certainly more interesting than most cliched efforts.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Oh no question he'll make it in my mind either - I just can't possibly see him being at or even close to no.1 the way some have suggested.
Sorry I misread your post (was switching between CW and the Ind/Eng ODI) and read it as he wouldnt' make the list, not he wouldn't make it as the highest rated spinner.

You may very well be right. I think Warne may surprise a few though.

JBH001

International Regular
20 Adam Gilchrist (Australia)

19 Aravinda de Silva (Sri Lanka)

18 Merv Hughes (Australia)

17 Matthew Hayden (Australia)

16 Andrew Flintoff (England)

15 Graham Gooch (England)

14 Rahul Dravid (India)

13 Anil Kumble (India)

12 Mark Waugh (Australia)

11 Courtney Walsh (West Indies)

Well, thats the top 10 left.

Link: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/cricket/article2357955.ece

Some interesting comments about Gilly and his keeping 'improving' too.

Btw, I have to disagree with Sean and Jono, I will be surprised if Murali makes the list.

biased indian

International Coach
Story So Far

11 Courtney Walsh
12 Mark Waugh
13 Anil Kumble
14 Rahul Dravid
15 Graham Gooch
16 Andrew Flintoff
17 Matthew Hayden
18 Merv Hughes
19 Aravinda de Silva
20 Adam Gilchrist
21 David Boon
22 Martin Crowe
23 Stephen Fleming
24 Brett Lee
25 Darren Lehmann
26 Steve Waugh
27 Jacques Kallis / Shaun Pollock
28 Saeed Anwar / Mohammad Yousuf
29 Shoaib Akhtar / Craig McDermott
30 Kevin Pietersen
31 Tim May
32 Robin Smith
33 Allan Donald
34 Bruce Reid
35 Michael Vaughan
36 Andy Flower
37 Stephen Harmison
38 Sanath Jayasuriya
39 Stuart MacGill
40 Kapil Dev
41 Justin Langer
42 Ravi Shastri
43 Michael Atherton
44 Alec Stewart
45 Waqar Younis
46 Dilip Vengsarkar
47 Chris Cairns
48 Brian McMillan
49 Darren Berry
50 Jamie Siddons

pasag

RTDAS
Murali, Ponting, McGrath, Tendulkar and Lara are the five guarantees for the top 10, wonder who the other five will be, anyone?

I guess Ambrose, Laxman, Akram, Healy are all very likely.

Also nice words about Kumble's ton and adding insult to injury wrt to Steve Waugh :laugh:

Dissector

International Debutant
I am surprised Gilchrist is so low. I am pretty sure Healy will be in the top 10. Not surprising I suppose that Warne is more interested in glovework than batting in a keeper.

I don't think there will be too many surprises in the top 10:

McGrath
Lara
Tendulkar
Border
Ponting
Murali
Akram
Healy
Ambrose
Laxman

Dissector

International Debutant
On second thoughts there may be a surprise or two. I can't see Warne omitting Taylor; perhaps he will leave out Laxman. The biggest likely omission is Inzy.

biased indian

International Coach
Murali, Ponting, McGrath, Tendulkar and Lara are the five guarantees for the top 10, wonder who the other five will be, anyone?

I guess Ambrose, Laxman, Akram, Healy are all very likely.

Also nice words about Kumble's ton and adding insult to injury wrt to Steve Waugh :laugh:
Kumble told in an interview warne called him up the same day and congr on the Ton

that is one thing that he very much misses

Chubby Rain

School Boy/Girl Captain
On second thoughts there may be a surprise or two. I can't see Warne omitting Taylor; perhaps he will leave out Laxman. The biggest likely omission is Inzy.
Point there.

I don't think he'll leave out Laxman though. So I guess Border or Taylor will miss out.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
TBH if he put Murali in as #1 I'd almost forgive him for his Donald oversight. :p
TBH, I'm surprised he hasn't already been mentioned because in regards to picking players who you've played against, Murali has been pretty bad or average anytime he has faced Warne, whether for Sri Lanka or the ICC World XI.

Last edited: