• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your English Cricket Season: 2008

Chubb

International Regular
This weekend's games
Cullompton v Upottery
Expect Upottery to win easily as Cullompton really are rubbish.
Yep :cool: ;

Upottery II 206 a/o (Chubb 58, D. Prettejohn 40, D. Woollacott 33)
Cullompton II 94 a/o (G. Norman 33*, D. Prettejohn 4-25)

I finally adapted to a soft wicket and I finally, after three years of trying, posted a fifty for Upottery, and a league fifty too, and a top score to boot. I felt in great touch right from when I back-foot cover-drove my fourth ball for four. I hit 5 fours and 2 sixes, scoring the runs off 70 balls. The first six was a pull over midwicket, the second a smash over extra cover to bring up the fifty :cool: . I threw the innings away though trying to step outside leg and smash a straight ball onto the motorway that runs near the ground. Prettejohn batted really well and deserved a fifty too.

When we bowled, Prettejohn took three quick wickets, leaving Cullompton 7-3, and they never threatened to recover from that. This win puts us further clear of the relegation zone, but obviously there are bigger challenges ahead.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Middle finger left hand... They didn't x-ray it as they said whether or not it was broken - and it looked it - the treatment was the same. Reckon a couple of weeks out - did it off the third ball of the first over. Pleased with six byes and a not-out given the fact it doesn't bend anymore.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Haha, i love reading those Pickup posts, well done on the off spin figures.

Somehowmnaghed to get myself out by hitting a leg side short ball onto my helme t tand getting caught at3rd dlip whoich was rather confusing.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, i love reading those Pickup posts, well done on the off spin figures.

Somehowmnaghed to get myself out by hitting a leg side short ball onto my helme t tand getting caught at3rd dlip whoich was rather confusing.
Few drinks after the game ther Bowman?

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This weekend's games
Cullompton v Upottery
Expect Upottery to win easily as Cullompton really are rubbish.
Upottery won by 112 runs.
Feniton v Uplyme
Very interesting lower-end battle: fancy Feniton with home advantage off a win over Axminster.
Feniton won by 58 runs.
Kilmington v Axminster III
Both sides coming in off poor defeats, but with Kilmington light on runs, expect the Ax promotion push to stay on the rails.
Axminster won by 8 wickets
Ottery v Thorverton
Very tough trip for ourselves, but off the back of a big win we might just manage something.
Ottery won by 131 runs.
Woodbury v Honiton
A few weeks ago there was most of the table between these two. Now there's just two points. Honiton have the form and the momentum - expect them to be top three by Sunday.
Woodbury winning draw: 171-8 v 77-9.

Not a bad set of predictions... let's see what it does to the table:
Ottery St Mary 175
Axminster III 159
Woodbury 131
Honiton 125
Upottery 115
Kilmington 111
Feniton 99
Thorverton 96
Uplyme 86
Cullompton 34

Next week:
Cullompton v Kilmington: we know what's going to happen there
Ottery v Feniton: would appreciate the Otters handing out another beating
Thorverton v Axminster III: another tough game for us
Uplyme v Woodbury: need Woodbury to do us a favour here
Upottery v Honiton: victory for either side would go a long way to safety, however defeat...

chris.hinton

International Captain
Very Interesting Neil, like reading about other leagues.

My cricket season has not quite gone to plan Batting well i know i am a number 10/11 batsman but scoring more runs this year compared to last but its still poor. I have bowled well apart from 2 games this year IMO when i was carted around the pitch, but only 4 wickets but going for 3.87 a over which is less then last year, rain has not helped though

I play for Erdington Court. I play in the Saturday 2nds well i just broke into the side ( we have no third team)... Actually i say broke into i mean we are cripped with people missing, we are 9th in the league out of 10 and could go down. On Saturday we play a team called Five ways all out for 104 ( I got 1) and the games finished at 5:30 and we got them for 6... we are two batsman light of being a mid table side. Saturday 1st are fighting relegation too but 5 Cancelled games already will always hamper the progress. Sundays two teams are not bad. We do need some players

The Baconator

Match slated today, against Erdington Court actually, left the CW Meet and everything....
Did they turn up? No.
They thought it was next week.

Not such a bad thing though, given the horrendously bad form I was in today.

Last edited:

open365

Played for the 2nds as a stop gap replacement last Sunday, made 6* bringing my average to 50 before the heavens opened.

Haven't been playing much lately, games have dried up while the weather has done the opposite.

Chubb

International Regular
Clash of the CW Titans

Upottery IIs 105 (A. Button-Stephens 21*, F. Drew 14, Chubb 10, D. Prettejohn 10)
Thorverton IIs 78-7 (D. Prettejohn 3-10, F. Drew 2-20)

With the titanic clash between Cricket Web's two DCL heavyweights unfortunately stillborn by Neil breaking his finger and being in Guernsey, I faced his team. Well it wasn't really his team, because Thorverton were playing 6 first teamers, since their fixture had been abandoned the night before. Upottery, on the other hand, had several IIs regulars missing. We batted first. The ball was swinging a lot, and I came in at 7-1. I was playing alright, getting my foot outside the off stump to an inswing bowler, but stupidly I fell straight into a leg-side trap set by a medium-pace bowler called Moreton- he moved a man out to deep square, bowled one outside off which I defended, then dropped one short down leg- I went for the pull and top-edged it straight to the guy he'd had out there. Pretty soon after that we were 60-6, then 78-9, but Buttons (who is of the same ability level with the bat as me but was batting 11 because he was late) played well to get us up to 100+. When we were 70-9, I told a Thorverton first-teamer who was watching that we'd "score a hundred then bowl you out for 70". I believed 105 would be enough.

And it certainly looked it when the Thorverton top-order, packed with first teamers, collapsed to 19-5. We bowled superbly. One of the first-teamers drove a ball in the air to mid-off and was dropped, and as I walked past him I said "That wasn't very first team, was it?" He muttered something under his breath, which I doubt would be repeatable, and two balls later he lined up a massive drive and missed, his stumps getting castled. Two of Thorverton's younger players, including Neil's replacement as keeper (another first-teamer), put together a good partnership to get them up to 70-5, but we struck back, getting them both. I should add most of this was happening in driving rain, but because both sides believed we could win we stayed out there. However, when the Thorverton No. 9 tried to smash one to leg, the bat slipped out of his hand and went cartwheeling away to square leg. It was obvious we couldn't continue out there.

I can understand why Neil chose to play at Thorverton, they have an excellent ground next to the river, a good little pavilion and what seemed like a good atmosphere. It was a shame this game had to end the way it did, since it was a real thriller. But I think both sides will be relatively happy with the way the points split- Thorverton 11, Upottery 10, but Thorverton must ask serious questions about bringing in first-teamers rather than trusting their own second team boys, who seem to have done okay.

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Had a pretty dire day for our 2nd XI v North Leeds today. I got a 4th ball duck and got hit for 7 in my only over, fielded pretty well though.

open365

Just wondering Sam, what's the standard like for your second team?

Played for LCC 4s today, we batted first and got 95 which wasn't as bad as it sounded as the pitch was ridiculous,out opening batsmen both got hit on the helmet playing forward to length deliveries. I batted at 4 and faced 9 balls scoring no runs before for some reason un beknown to anyone i tried to straight drive a perfectly decent middle stump ball and hit it high in the air for an easy return catch. Been batting patheticaly these last two months.

They ended up getting it for 8 wickets down, it was close i suppose but we batted too ****e to be desrved winners.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Just wondering Sam, what's the standard like for your second team?

Played for LCC 4s today, we batted first and got 95 which wasn't as bad as it sounded as the pitch was ridiculous,out opening batsmen both got hit on the helmet playing forward to length deliveries. I batted at 4 and faced 9 balls scoring no runs before for some reason un beknown to anyone i tried to straight drive a perfectly decent middle stump ball and hit it high in the air for an easy return catch. Been batting patheticaly these last two months.

They ended up getting it for 8 wickets down, it was close i suppose but we batted too ****e to be desrved winners.
Well dire wouldn't be doing our whole club justice; we're worse than dire. Our 1st XI are bottom of the Aire Wharfe C Division, and our 2nd XI are 2nd from bottom. Despite this, we still play some pretty good sides, with a few ex FC players and stuff like that. I won't go boasting about playing for Ben Rhydding 2nd XI around the Aire Wharfe Valley.