• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

pasag

RTDAS
How many times have test series gone 0-0 in recent times? The nature of cricket today means that it is very unlikely despite dire attacks. Do think this match will be a draw though as I said before the game.
I'd say that the dissproportion between batting and bowling from both sides in this series could be the greatest of all time, tbh. I don't think we've ever seen something like this and as such, 0-0. Plus England's dire weather is a factor as well.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Only one wicket at tea. Howmany times does that happen at Lord's, on a first day without any rain delays?
Possibly England vs WI in 2004. NZ didn't lose many before tea that year either, although it was probably more than one. Not too many in England vs Pak last year, IIRC. Or vs WI this year. It's usually a pretty easy track nowadays, with the obvious exception of the 2005 Ashes game.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I stand by my 1-0 India. This one will be a draw. India will come out strong (I hope) in the next game.
You might well be right. Given that the next two games are at Old Trafford & The Oval respectively, you can see the 2nd test being the decider.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I'd say that the dissproportion between batting and bowling from both sides in this series could be the greatest of all time, tbh.
I doubt that this series has the greatest disproportion. Even if it is very big, the factor leading to draws is strike rates of bowlers and batsmen more than averages a lot of the times. The modern game has players with much highest strike rates than earlier. So if a batsman had a strike rate of 30 in the 60s or 70s and has a s/r of 55 now, the current batsman would require a much higher average than the batsman from the bast to compete for how his style leaned a match towards a draw.

Want to have an avatar bet that it will not be 0-0?

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
I doubt that this series has the greatest disproportion. Even if it is very big, the factor leading to draws is strike rates of bowlers and batsmen more than averages a lot of the times. The modern game has players with much highest strike rates than earlier. So if a batsman had a strike rate of 30 in the 60s or 70s and has a s/r of 55 now, the current batsman would require a much higher average than the batsman from the bast to compete for how his style leaned a match towards a draw.

Want to have an avatar bet that it will not be 0-0?
Haha, I guess I have to put the money where the mouth is now. How does 2 weeks sound after I complete my challenge with Prince? (although if this has a result I can start immediately if I lose).

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Haha, I guess I have to put the money where the mouth is now. How does 2 weeks sound after I complete my challenge with Prince? (although if this has a result I can start immediately if I lose).
I have an earlier challenge with Goughy too. Good stuff. You are on! :D

Stapel

International Regular
Possibly England vs WI in 2004. NZ didn't lose many before tea that year either, although it was probably more than one. Not too many in England vs Pak last year, IIRC. Or vs WI this year. It's usually a pretty easy track nowadays, with the obvious exception of the 2005 Ashes game.
Key and Strauss indeed took England to 233/1 at tea in 2004 vs Windies.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Another short ball, this time from Sreesanth. Don't ball short man. They will hook and pull you all day...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Strauss decides to make a game of it ...
I didn't watch it as I have switched off from cricket over the past 10 minutes but Kumble and Zaheer (if he reverses it) are always likely to be dangerous in this session with an older ball. Wouldn't surprise me if 2-3 wickets fall in this session.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Bumble talking about Sreesanth having his own style, with the uber short sleeves and that. First time I've bothered to take any notice, but he doesn't half look camp, doesn't he?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't watch it as I have switched off from cricket over the past 10 minutes but Kumble and Zaheer (if he reverses it) are always likely to be dangerous in this session with an older ball. Wouldn't surprise me if 2-3 wickets fall in this session.
Me too. Kumble bowled beautifully in response to Strauss trying to hurry to his 100, which is never a good idea. Credit the bowler for taking advantage, but Strauss should never have given him the chance.