• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cook should not be getting out to nothing bowling as much as he has, particularly when he's in. Much more and it'll be Rob Key-esque
Frankly, as a neutral in this particular series, I find your criticism to be very churlish. Cook's done exceptionally well in his career to date and far exceeded Key's limited successes over similar series (Aus away, WI at home in particular). Its a bit of a trait in the English psyche to find something to moan about in decent positions. I think that if an opening partnership gets past 50 and has worn the glaze off the ball, then both openers have done the job. I bet you guys woulda killed for a 50+ opening partnership or two in the recent Ashes series! Cook's done a job much better than any other candidate could do in the UK at the moment (Trescothick may be the exception, but a big question mark there) and let's not forget how many of his runs have been scored from opening.

I wonder if there's some traditional Pommy regional rivalry going on here. Cook being a Southerner and you being a Northerner hasn't tended you to see him in a slightly less than flattering light, perchance?

Scaly piscine

Pietersen, Key, Trescothick.
Forgot about KP, but Key and Tresco were 3 and 4 years ago, which is a long time in cricket these days.

Not criticising someone because they score a hundred is typical of the English attitude, whereas Australians wouldn't think twice about it if the dismissal was poor. That sort of thing is why Australians get the best out of themselves in sport and why Englishmen often don't.

Scaly piscine

Frankly, as a neutral in this particular series, I find your criticism to be very churlish. Cook's done exceptionally well in his career to date and far exceeded Key's limited successes over similar series (Aus away, WI at home in particular). Its a bit of a trait in the English psyche to find something to moan about in decent positions. I think that if an opening partnership gets past 50 and has worn the glaze off the ball, then both openers have done the job. I bet you guys woulda killed for a 50+ opening partnership or two in the recent Ashes series! Cook's done a job much better than any other candidate could do in the UK at the moment (Trescothick may be the exception, but a big question mark there) and let's not forget how many of his runs have been scored from opening.

I wonder if there's some traditional Pommy regional rivalry going on here. Cook being a Southerner and you being a Northerner hasn't tended you to see him in a slightly less than flattering light, perchance?

No it's in the English psyche not to criticise anyone who does well, except for the odd hate figure. That's why we're crap at sport.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Off Topic.

Why Mark Waugh was given the name "Afghanistan"

Having an argument with some guy on another forum , he says the name came before Mark made his debut while I think it was given to him much later in his career.

Anyone?

HeathDavisSpeed

No it's in the English psyche not to criticise anyone who does well, except for the odd hate figure. That's why we're crap at sport.
Ah... Ok... I think I might be mixing up the English media with normal English people then.

The English media in my experience like nothing better than tearing down someone they've spent years building up!

chalky

International Debutant
That's not the point I was making, but anyway you're not suddenly untouchable because you've got a century on the board - suppose that's why only Collingwood is the only one to score a double century for England over past however many years. He keeps going because he has a better temperament and attitude.

Cook should not be getting out to nothing bowling as much as he has, particularly when he's in. Much more and it'll be Rob Key-esque
Getting a century actually does make you immune from most criticisim. I thinkhe has a problem when the field gets a bit defensive later in his innings as his scoring rate often drops - why I believe he shouldn't be in the ODI team btw. But as test match batsmen he more than makes up for that failing with the rest of his game. It seems to me like you espect Bradman esque performances from the English batsmen except Collingwood it seems who escapes such harsh criticism.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Off Topic.

Why Mark Waugh was given the name "Afghanistan"

Having an argument with some guy on another forum , he says the name came before Mark made his debut while I think it was given to him much later in his career.

Anyone?
I always thought it was because he was "the forgotten Waugh/war", so it must have been before his test debut.

HeathDavisSpeed

Aww... That's just hilarious... The way it knocks his cap off on the way through...

Seriously though, that would have seriously ****ed me off.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That's not the point I was making, but anyway you're not suddenly untouchable because you've got a century on the board - suppose that's why only Collingwood is the only one to score a double century for England over past however many years. He keeps going because he has a better temperament and attitude.

Good first session :cool: