• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Things improved, but not enough to claim they pulled it back pretty well.
And there is something odd in saying that things went pretty well, despite a dropped catch. In the end, catches are too often the decisive factor in tight tests!
After the first five overs, England were 40/0. From that point on, they made 75/1 in 23 overs - decent imo. I didn't say things went pretty well, India will have to lift in the second session, but going from conceding 8 runs per over to just over 4 is pulling it back pretty well imo.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is it right to conclude that the Indian bowlers haven't been lucky, but that they didn't really enforce their own luck. So far, this hasn't been the bowling needed to win a test, right?
Pretty much correct. The Indians bowled a lot of tripe but did produce the odd good delivery that found the edge, if that catch by Karthik had been taken then I think that the bowlers would be very happy. They didn't really deserve it, because of the runs they leaked, but in the end they fluffed up a chance for a wicket.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I agree with him tbh. The 7 and a half overs I was awake for didn't go too badly but for the drop. I reckon that if India were offered 115/1 when Ganguly was brought on, they'd have taken it.
But you still have to take the session as a whole. 115/1, the wayward bowling, and that drop catch = pretty horrid session. Just because the second part of the session was 'less worse' than the first, doesn't mean it wasn't a crap session overall.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
No TV...I heard everything on radio. The pesky young radio anchor of "Dressing Room" on AIR FM 100.7 (a.k.a. FM Gold, Mumbai) sid that England have won the Test...um...toss. All too typical, as this seems a "Win the toss, win the Test" scene. All of these points are from an Indian point of view.

Sreesanth, tipped as a key player by newspapers and Ian Chappell, was in shockingly dreadful form. Several balls bowled on pads gave Cook ample scoring opportunities. He's not been bowling at top pace, making him an easy target. He's got it back in the last three overs, but the dropped catch makes it even harder. Honestly, given his pace, he should try to bowl at express pace and blast the batting out. Far too much is made of the weakness of the Indian bowling attack, when they're a bowler down and none of the batsmen are bowling enough, and the fielders are not even doing their bit.

Zaheer's form is another cause for worry. Being the most experienced bowler, he's supposed to keep things tight and use the conditions to his advantage, while his partner tries to blast the opposition out. RP Singh is a surprise package, but economy rates don't win matches- wickets do. He needs to make the batsmen play. He's only one of four bowlers, and he has to attack the batting.

Ganguly's done well as a fourth seamer, and could do just as well as a third. A commentator thought that Ganguly should have been removed after snaring Cook. That's not feasible in this match. His reduced pace adds variety, and he can use the seaming conditions that exist to take the extra wickets. He has to bowl long spells, do what Flintoff would do when he would get a match. Kumble has had a good start so far.

Likewise, while Dhoni's form behind the stumps has been a cause for concern, he can hang on a little longer, with his prospective replacement dropping catch after catch in the outfield. Dinesh Karthik has dropped six catches already. That bubble will burst any time in this series, and sooner if they have him wicketkeeping and opening.

Then come questions to experts on radio- "Why was Harbhajan left out? Why were Harbhajan and Sehwag left out?" Well, man for man, all of them are equally good or bad, so Harbhajan's inclusion wouldn't help much, unless there's support from the fifth bowler and the fielders. Sehwag, as we know, was dropped because of a sub-par series against Bangladesh, and his declining ODI form affecting his Test performance. But Yuvraj's exclusion was the most baffling. With Panesar being in form, the team playing three seamers instead of two spinners (a throwback from the good not-so-old days of three seamers and two spinners), he should have been a hot pick. In fact, looking at Laxman's performance in the last series against Australia and beyond, Yuvraj can't be far behind.

Then come some funny questions- "Why can't we pick Balaji? Why can't we find a Brett Lee?" No, not funny. Typical.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Because Ganguly is nowhere close to Flintoff as a bowler.
But Ganguly's the only other bowler that the team has. The Indians are again playing just four regular bowlers, three of them being seamers. So they're stuck with him.

FROM RADIO: Meaningless discussion on Dravid's catching records and how many LBW's Kumble gets. Not to mention, something I don't wish to hear- "Forget winning. Just save the matches at Lords and Trent. Oval will offer a chance".

What an anachronism, where Test matches are played to win.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
This is so ****ing stupid, why can't these bowlers just bowl the ****ing ball on the off stump. And how the hell do you miss that catch, one of the easiest catches in the world, and one of our better fielders, and he drops it :@ . Like that was as easy as it gets :@ . Kumble you better do something :@ ! And soon :@ !

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
This is so ****ing stupid, why can't these bowlers just bowl the ****ing ball on the off stump. And how the hell do you miss that catch, one of the easiest catches in the world, and one of our better fielders, and he drops it :@ . Like that was as easy as it gets :@ . Kumble you better do something :@ ! And soon :@ !
Yep :laugh:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
But you still have to take the session as a whole. 115/1, the wayward bowling, and that drop catch = pretty horrid session. Just because the second part of the session was 'less worse' than the first, doesn't mean it wasn't a crap session overall.
Didn't say it wasn't a crap session. The original post said "not the worst session", which is true. Could have been a hell of a lot worse. The way they started, there could have been an extra 20/30 runs on there. Now that would have been the worst session.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
When I saw RP Singh bowl in Bangladesh he was consistenly getting around or over 140kph (87mph+). Any reason as to why his pace is a good 5mph down?.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
When I saw RP Singh bowl in Bangladesh he was consistenly getting around or over 140kph (87mph+). Any reason as to why his pace is a good 5mph down?.
RP Singh is not a genuine tearaway pacer, more a bowler who uses the pitch. In fact, all the seamers are bowling a lot slower in this match, but RP Singh is one in the team I'd least expect to bend his back and break the speed record.

EDIT: He's not even bowling straight. The batsmen are just letting go of everything coming in.