• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

[My Article] The State of England Bowling

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
but you said this :
I've seen plenty of Gloucs games where he's gone around the park.

From that I can only assume you were talking about individual games. Nowhere did you suggest that you were talking about a string of games
The "plenty of" didn't suggest it was a string... no? :unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha. This is why you should probably stick to posting articles on PC Hooper. At least we'll talk about your article instead of having pissing contests.
As I said, though... we did talk about the article. Then Bennett said about everything most people would say. Thereafter, discussion was pretty much finished.

So either the thread would have dropped away, or this would happen. On this occasion, this happened.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think, TBH, I've ever said "YES, THIS ENTIRE EXCHANGE WAS IN JEST!!!!!!!!!!!" so I'm not - quite - breaking my precious traits. :p

dcnstntn

Cricket Spectator
I am sometimes amazed at how off the boil some of the English bowlers can look, and it really frustrates me. I think Gough said recently that England's bowlers are pretty much bowling like robots, that they have been taught to bowl a certain way and fail to adapt to conditions. In the nets they may look brilliant but when you have to bowl in different conditions, on different pitches in different continents against different players in different scenarios you must think on your feet.

The only bowler I can currently say that I believe can do this near on each time he plays is Monty.

Hoggard is also very consistent, however I was massively disappointed with his displays in the ODI side with the ball a few years ago. Why can't an International cricketer control a white ball? Silly really isn't it!

My faith lies in the return of Simon Jones, who has the potential to be one of the world's best bowlers. He came on so much in the first few years when playing for England, even Richie Benaud constantly praised him. What a weapon he could prove to be.

The big problem with English cricket in my opinion is that it is barely taught to kids at a young age. I had to really go out of my way to play cricket. The infrastruture isn't there in schools, and the type of cricket played in village cricket isn't suitable either. Other countries just seem to take it more serious than us.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Err that would be 'complete crap in OD cricket' Monty would it? Not to mention how he hardly ever bowls a slower delivery and tosses the ball up. He's just as robotic or whatever you want to call it as anyone else.

HeathDavisSpeed

Are you compelled to read it twice? :mellow:
You never know, he might have subtly altered his argument since the first publication and then you could leap on that change in view as a prime example of flip-flopping.

But there's no obligation for me to read anything.

You are now on my ignore list ;)

open365

International Vice-Captain
Liam Plunket has potential?

Like **** he does, him Jimmy and Saj aren't going to amount to anything no matter how many oppurtunities they do or don't get.

I think the Liam Plunket situation is a bit ridiculous, i just don't think he's an international player at all, i think there are a lot of county bowlers that would do a better job than him, yet because Fletcher picked him we now think he has potential and will get better, the same goes for Saj.

I don't buy all this "Good bowler but needs to be more consistent" crap, consistency and accuracy are the two main things in bowling, just because he can produce a swinging yorker once in a blue moon does not mean he has potential.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hoggard is also very consistent, however I was massively disappointed with his displays in the ODI side with the ball a few years ago. Why can't an International cricketer control a white ball? Silly really isn't it!
It's not that straightforward. Not only is Hoggard not invariably a model of consistency - even these days, he still goes for a few of times in Tests - but it's not a case of struggling with the white ball, simply (as with Harmison for a time) that Test and ODI rules are different. What'd be a nothing dot-ball in a Test is a wide in a ODI.

Scaly piscine

Liam Plunket has potential?

Like **** he does, him Jimmy and Saj aren't going to amount to anything no matter how many oppurtunities they do or don't get.

I think the Liam Plunket situation is a bit ridiculous, i just don't think he's an international player at all, i think there are a lot of county bowlers that would do a better job than him, yet because Fletcher picked him we now think he has potential and will get better, the same goes for Saj.

I don't buy all this "Good bowler but needs to be more consistent" crap, consistency and accuracy are the two main things in bowling, just because he can produce a swinging yorker once in a blue moon does not mean he has potential.

How on earth can anyone say Plunkett does not have potential? He bowls with a near-perfect seam position, bowling up to the mid/high-80s, gets a ton of movement and played for England when he was 20.