• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

[My Article] The State of England Bowling

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's what they said of Sidebottom.
And that's what I still say of Sidebottom against anything other than rubbish batting lineups, tbh. He's still better than picking Plunkett (at this stage of his career) or Mahmood though, so he'll stay. A good bowler who throws off the balance slightly will generally be better than a dire bowler picked to balance the side. Lewis > Sidebottom IMHO, but it really doesn't mean either of them are test standard in the role that they'll play.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's what they said of Sidebottom. And look how well be performed in the test series even with Hoggard in the team. Lewis and Hoggard in the same team wouldn't be as bad an idea as some think as there both pretty accurate bowlers who don't give much away.
That's the thing, though - they're both bowlers who can be accurate, but they can also be horribly wayward. We've seen that plenty of times from both of them. Neither have height on their side, so their lengths need to be spot-on. Sometimes, they are. But sometimes, they're not, and so they go for a few.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
That's the thing, though - they're both bowlers who can be accurate, but they can also be horribly wayward. We've seen that plenty of times from both of them. Neither have height on their side, so their lengths need to be spot-on. Sometimes, they are. But sometimes, they're not, and so they go for a few.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I are you sure that Lewis and Sidebottom can be "horribly wayward". Sidebottom showed nothing of the sort in the WI series and I thought that Lewis was renowned for his nagging line and length.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Correct me if I'm wrong but I are you sure that Lewis and Sidebottom can be "horribly wayward". Sidebottom showed nothing of the sort in the WI series and I thought that Lewis was renowned for his nagging line and length.
Sidebottom did indeed bowl a few really dire spells - they just went un-noticed due to the West Indies pathetic batting and the fact that Harmison and Plunkett were playing. I've seen Lewis lose the plot in ODIs too, although rarely with the new ball.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone who was at Old Trafford on 17th August 1999 will tell you that Sidebottom can bowl wides with the worst of 'em.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lewis is renowned for such a thing, but like quite a few stereotypes it's not entirely true. Lewis can bowl accurately, very much so, but can also lose it. I've seen plenty of Gloucs games where he's gone around the park.

I was referring, incidentally, to Hoggard, who is and always has been similar (better than he once was, but he's never completely banished his tendency to lose lines, and as I say, being the height he is does not have great margin-for-error in length).

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I don't think I understand this height and "margain for error" thing?.:unsure:
Tall bowlers get more bounce out of the surface, so they are more unpredictable and harder to dominate on the front foot Hayden-style. For someone shorter, like Lewis, it's different - if they overpitch they are driving meat and if they drop short it sits up and it's fill-your-boots on the cut or pull.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Any opinions on this guy copying and pasting something he's written on another forum? As a matter of interest, is this allowed? I post on other forums too, and I've always believed that anything you write on a particular forum becomes the intellectual property of the forum owner and the author, so any cross-pollenation (so to speak) requires the acceptance of the forum owner.

Also, I find it a bit annoying when you go to a two different forums and end up reading the same thing.

Anyway - just wondering.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Any opinions on this guy copying and pasting something he's written on another forum? As a matter of interest, is this allowed? I post on other forums too, and I've always believed that anything you write on a particular forum becomes the intellectual property of the forum owner and the author, so any cross-pollenation (so to speak) requires the acceptance of the forum owner.

Also, I find it a bit annoying when you go to a two different forums and end up reading the same thing.

Anyway - just wondering.
He wrote it. Theoretically, he could just retype the exact same thing here, as it was his work and his ideas to begin with. Whether he copy/pastes it or not shouldn't be relevant IMO.