• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohd Yousuf vs Rahul Dravid In ODI's

Who is better in ODI's?

• Total voters

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Aravinda de Silva scoring runs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Daren Ganga scoring 'em (and he actually did it at Test level every now and then, too...)

;)
Daren Ganga out there not scoring is a sight to see for mine though. Could watch him defend all day.

(AND NO - THIS POST IS NOT IN JEST!!!!!!!!)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha. Each to his own. I like to see both attack and defence, myself (and ideally in roughly equal measure - I get bored of both too fast and too slow scoring).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha. Each to his own. I like to see both attack and defence, myself (and ideally in roughly equal measure - I get bored of both too fast and too slow scoring).
Yeah, I'm essentially the opposite to haroon. However I try not to let that personal bias get in the way of my opinion regarding each player's ability - something haroon could perhaps look into..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I must say I agree that Ganga >>>>> Gilchrist, and really pretty much anyone in world cricket. Definitely one of my favorites too. Not in terms of ability mind you, but in terms of who I like watching.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:-O I can't beleive that people don't like watching Gilchrist bat, quite frankly it shocks me.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
On what basis. I mean I agree that Dravid is a little better, especially since hes improved greatly in that form of late, but the concensus seems to be that there isn't much between the two players in ODIs.
dravid is a very underrated one day batsman, he may not have a lot of centuries, but he is an exceptional anchor for his side and knows how to get his side over the finish line, be it a test or a one day international, he is a much superior technician than yousuf, but knows how to accelerate when needed and has all the strokes in the book as well(all the people who call him boring forget or just don't realize how stylish a strokeplayer he actually is), yousuf has been an exceptional player these last 3 years or so but dravid has been doing his job consistently for india on the international scene(tests and odis) for several years now, yousuf is not quite there yet...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ah right, is it textbook?
Yeah, pretty much. If he doesn't have to hit the ball, he generally doesn't (unless the ball in completely dire and really asking for it) and when he does, the bat comes down as straight as anything, close to the body, with definite footwork. Evidently it doesn't work for various reasons, but I love watching it.

shortpitched713

International Captain
dravid is a very underrated one day batsman, he may not have a lot of centuries, but he is an exceptional anchor for his side and knows how to get his side over the finish line, be it a test or a one day international, he is a much superior technician than yousuf, but knows how to accelerate when needed and has all the strokes in the book as well(all the people who call him boring forget or just don't realize how stylish a strokeplayer he actually is), yousuf has been an exceptional player these last 3 years or so but dravid has been doing his job consistently for india on the international scene(tests and odis) for several years now, yousuf is not quite there yet...
Well Yousuf has been doing the job for many years now in the ODI department, not just the last three, so I'm not exactly sure how he'll get "quite there". A few years ago, if anyone had asked who they'd rather have on a one day side almost all would have probably chosen Yousuf because of his superior strike rate. And all of the qualitative assesments you've made about Dravid can be made about Yousuf, although hes probably not as consistent.

Last edited:

shortpitched713

International Captain
Ah right, is it textbook?
Its always intrigued me that batsmen would need a textbook to figure out how to bring the bat down straight. In any case I'd love to get my hands on one of these textbooks. Does anyone know where I can find one?

(!TSEJ YLLACISAB SI TSOP SIHT SEY)

gunner

U19 Cricketer
Well Yousuf has been doing the job for many years now in the ODI department, not just the last three, so I'm not exactly sure how he'll get "quite there". A few years ago, if anyone had asked who they'd rather have on a one day side almost all would have probably chosen Yousuf because of his superior strike rate. And all of the qualitative assesments you've made about Dravid can be made about Yousuf, although hes probably not as consistent.
also over the last 3 years his odi form has dropped and his stats too,

he was the original number 3 in the side but had to make way for malik so he batted at 5 for about 3 years
had he batted at 3 he would have had much much better statistics now and 3 is also his favourite position where he averages over 55

Code:
                      Mat    I  NO  Runs HS1  HS2  HS3     Ave 100  50   0
Opening                0    -   -     -   -    -    -     -     -   -   -
                      [COLOR="Red"]20   20   1   747 105   92   85   39.31   1   7   2[/COLOR]
3rd position          43   43   7  1988 141* 125  106   55.22   5  13   1
                      [COLOR="Red"]98   98   6  3733 153  145  123*  40.57   7  25   3[/COLOR]
4th position          83   83  12  3031 129  107* 105   42.69   4  22   7
                      [COLOR="Red"]93   93  10  2989 109* 104   99   36.01   2  23   3[/COLOR]
5th position          83   83  10  2422 104* 100   92   33.17   2  16   6
                     [COLOR="Red"] 65   65  12  2401 104  103*  85*  45.30   2  22   2[/COLOR]
6th position          19   19   3   626 112*  88   81*  39.12   1   3   1
                      [COLOR="Red"]12   12   7   282  51   49*  31*  56.40   0   1   0[/COLOR]
7th position           1    1   0    14  14    -    -   14.00   0   0   0
                     [COLOR="Red"]  3    3   2    26  16    7*   3*  26.00   0   0   0[/COLOR]
8th position           0    -   -     -   -    -    -     -     -   -   -
                      [COLOR="Red"] 1    1   0    11  11    -    -   11.00   0   0   0[/COLOR]

*Yousof
[COLOR="Red"]*Dravid[/COLOR]

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:-O I can't beleive that people don't like watching Gilchrist bat, quite frankly it shocks me.
Too much arms, big swings and not enough wristy caresses.

At least, that's why I don't especially like watching him.