• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They couldn't show it on hotspot because the ball hit the back of the bat, meaning neither the bowler or umpire or snicko could pick it up. Replays clearly showed that it was an inside edge.
Sound doesn't disappear whether it hits the back of the bat or the edge. If it had hit anything Snicko WOULD have picked it up.

Replays cannot show an edge unless it's a big one.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I'm not quite sure how anyone can deny that there was nothing other than a fairly big edge (comparible).
Well given snicko showed nothing IMO it wasn't certain. If they'd just put Hotspot on it, it'd be shown to be an edge (or otherwise) beyond any reasonable doubt. If it hit the back of the bat then just put hotspot on it from behind or whatever.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Well given snicko showed nothing IMO it wasn't certain. If they'd just put Hotspot on it, it'd be shown to be an edge (or otherwise) beyond any reasonable doubt. If it hit the back of the bat then just put hotspot on it from behind or whatever.
IMO, it clearly deviated from it's natural route, and was a certain nick. Not complaining though.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Yes, but if it had have been edged, there would have been a sound. Ah well, this is going round in circles, the main point is Hotspot should have been used.
they couldn't use hotspot though because it hit the back of the bat, they explained this afterwards in the studio. the replay from behind showed quite clearly that it hit cooks bat.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's no logical reason why it'd have hit the bat and made no sound.

I saw no stratified deviation upon hitting the bat, just something consistent with the fact that the ball does make random movement in the air.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
But they don't have two hotspot cameras, so they couldn't. The ball hit the back of the bat, a region where hotspot wasn't covering.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Or didn't... because had it hit anything it would have made a sound. But no sound was picked-up by the stump-mics, so unless they failed at that time (which the sound engineers would have known about) there is conclusive evidence that there was no nick.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
they couldn't use hotspot though because it hit the back of the bat, they explained this afterwards in the studio. the replay from behind showed quite clearly that it hit cooks bat.
Heh, ok. The replay showed quite clearly that the ball moved, which could quite easily be because it swung after passing the bat, which happens. The fact that there wasn't any noise whatsoever makes me suspicious, however I'm not completely certain whether he hit it or not.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Heh, ok. The replay showed quite clearly that the ball moved, which could quite easily be because it swung after passing the bat, which happens. The fact that there wasn't any noise whatsoever makes me suspicious, however I'm not completely certain whether he hit it or not.
Agreed. it wasn't the certainty it's being made out to be, IMO.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
But the replay clearly showed it hitting the back of the bat.
No it didn't, it showed it was close, all you can see is the ball changing direction, which as has been said, could be down to swing. You can't really tell 100% purely visually - you need sound too generally, and the fact that there was no sound makes me think he might not have hit it.

You can talk about replays as much as you like, if there isn't any sound, then it isn't certain that he's hit it.

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
back i am, seems i missed a lot :)
but that's it, cricket is a wonderful crazy game, where you can bowl terrible 50 minutes and terrific the next 10... and these last make history.
honestly don't see the Windies able to get over it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But the replay clearly showed it hitting the back of the bat.
I don't see how a replay can show such a thing, unless there is a change of direction of the instant rather than gradual type. And (as Halz has sort of already pointed-out) the ball arced around, rather than being knocked from one course to another. Which makes me think it was to do with swing rather than an edge.

With no sound, I see no reason that an edge can have happened, as an edge always makes a noise.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
You can talk about replays as much as you like, if there isn't any sound, then it isn't certain that he's hit it.
So why did the wicketkeeper and all the fieldsmen behind the bat instantly go up for the appeal, while the batsman looked behind to see if it had been caught?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So why did the wicketkeeper and all the fieldsmen behind the bat instantly go up for the appeal, while the batsman looked behind to see if it had been caught?
Batsmen look behind pretty well every time the ball goes behind the wicket regardless of whether they've thick-edged it right along the ground or missed it by a mile, and fielders appeal for stuff that hasn't hit the bat (the bowler does sometimes too... which he didn't in this case) plenty as well.