• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Nads.

"A shade dire"? Have you been able to watch any of today or the Test at Headingley?
Very little admittedly, but enough highlights and from the comments on here as well I can deduce it hasn't been good at times.

As far as criticism/praise, you're right, Vaughan probably shouldn't have called it perfect, however I'd rather he was doing that than saying it wasn't very good. Incidentally, saying the bowling was rubbish would effectively be singling players out - everyone would know he was talking about Harmison and to a very slightly lesser extent Plunkett.

PY

International Coach
If Monty spins you to victory against India, surely Kumble will achieve the same against England far earlier?
Yeah, you do make a fair point.

It is true obviously but I would say, our seamers are probably slightly more likely to fire once or twice than India's, especially if Fred gets back at all (which I hope he doesn't for his sake) to back up Monty's efforts. As Richard says, it'd be suicide to prepare a spinning top when Kumble is coming.

I'd rate a draw at 90% today, hopefully that'll drop.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Monty spins you to victory against India, surely Kumble will achieve the same against England far earlier?
Yep, if the groundsman serve up a friggin dust bowl like they did last year against Sri Lanka we're pretty much certain to lose unless we bat first - then we're just small second favourite.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
"Red balloons. There was a song about red balloons years ago. 99 red balloons. Years ago, that was. Nena. Nena did that." :laugh:

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
Well, more accurately if there are some pitches that spin, Kumble will probably lead India to victory rather than MSP leading England to.

Preparing turning pitches against India with Kumble in the side is nothing short of crazy.
Hmm... Kumble does prefer bounce to spin, though. Bounce and spin would be the perfect combination, though. ;)

England should be glad that the Windies are providing some resistance. They'll probably win this test (England will) and if the tougher test does come (from India), they should be more than prepared.

PY

International Coach
Very little admittedly, but enough highlights and from the comments on here as well I can deduce it hasn't been good at times.

As far as criticism/praise, you're right, Vaughan probably shouldn't have called it perfect, however I'd rather he was doing that than saying it wasn't very good. Incidentally, saying the bowling was rubbish would effectively be singling players out - everyone would know he was talking about Harmison and to a very slightly lesser extent Plunkett.
They don't show the dire stuff on highlight packages unless it is so dire that it makes the wicketkeeper look like a fool. :p

Honestly, I find myself dreaming of the day when Hoggard and Freddie can bowl in tandem and we might have 12 balls on/or-just-outside off-stump in a row.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
kumbles test record in england wouldn't have me jumping for joy if i was an india fan.
All the more reason to fix it. ;) If Warne was able to get his first fiver against India in India on his last tour there (if I'm not mistaken), then surely Kumble would be hoping to do something similar against traditionally worse players of spin.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You can't have any idea unless you've watched it, TBH. You know I've watched a fair bit of cricket and I have honestly NEVER seen anything worse than this except when it's involved my own club side.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
They don't show the dire stuff on highlight packages unless it is so dire that it makes the wicketkeeper look like a fool. :p

Honestly, I find myself dreaming of the day when Hoggard and Freddie can bowl in tandem and we might have 12 balls on/or-just-outside off-stump in a row.
Flintoff isn't that accurate tbh. He has a pretty average average, and an OK economy rate.

Nishant

International 12th Man
All the more reason to fix it. ;) If Warne was able to get his first fiver against India in India on his last tour there (if I'm not mistaken), then surely Kumble would be hoping to do something similar against traditionally worse players of spin.
well...he would be hoping.....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm... Kumble does prefer bounce to spin, though. Bounce and spin would be the perfect combination, though. ;)
Kumble uses spin (topspin) to produce bounce, that's the thing. And he can bowl the occasional pretty decent Leg-Break too... :mellow: