• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting fact on cricinfo earlier that not one ball from Edwards to Harmison would actually have hit the stumps. All very spectacular, but surely he needed to be sending down a series of yorkers this morning.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yep, showed that on Sky too (possibly where CI got it from). TBF to him he did try a few times, but just couldn't get the line right.

Woodster

International Captain
Once Bell gets to a hundred it is time for him to step on the gas, our tailenders could be merely target practice, at least if Bells scoring, them taking the blows is worthwhile.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
but surely he needed to be sending down a series of yorkers this morning.
I honestly believe that Edwards has no idea where the ball is going as he prepares to bowl. He just runs up and trys to bowl as fast as he can so I don't think he ever has a plan to bowl yorkers, good length balls.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bell almost at his ton, one more stroke could do it. The sooner that England get to 350 the better, as that will be a mental barrier that the West Indies have to overcome, as well as it being a good score.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes he's bowled with impressive pace Edwards this mroning, but just struggled with the line. He's got decent swing, generally away from the right hander, and his short balls inevitably cause problems for the lower order. Just needs to hit the timbers (at least on line) a touch more frequently.

Perm

Edwards really lacks Malinga's ability to bowl very hostile short stuff and then throw in 3-4 good yorkers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Edwards really lacks Malinga's ability to bowl very hostile short stuff and then throw in 3-4 good yorkers.
Well... so do a good few bowlers, TBF. Maaaalinga is one of the best Yorker merchants going around at the merment.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Edwards just lacks bowling line and length tbh. Gets way too carried away with the short stuff imo. Would be a hell of a better bowler if he pitched the ball up more as he is a genuine outswing bowler.

Perm

Well... so do a good few bowlers, TBF. Maaaalinga is one of the best Yorker merchants going around at the merment.
I realise that, but Malinga's yorker is effective because he can bowl the short stuff and then summon up a good yorker with his round-arm action. If Edwards could get even a half decent yorker, or indeed the ability to bowl full with some semblance of accuracy, then he'd be a much, much better bowler.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm supporting WI in this match but disappointed to see Bell go for 97. He really deserved a ton. :(

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I realise that, but Malinga's yorker is effective because he can bowl the short stuff and then summon up a good yorker with his round-arm action. If Edwards could get even a half decent yorker, or indeed the ability to bowl full with some semblance of accuracy, then he'd be a much, much better bowler.
I'd say his Yorker would be effective regardless of anything, TBH, especially when it's swinging in.

Woodster

International Captain
Think Harmison will be more pleased seeing that ball that removed Bell than Collymore is !! Big time for Harmy to get back on track.