• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Swervy

International Captain
I suppose but wouldnt he get more out of the new ball.
it depends really. Quite often new balls don't do too much until one side starts to go rough (although sometimes they swing straight away, but I have never understood the physics behind that one...Goughy might know about that being a fast bowler himself).

New balls also come off the wicket faster, and so that can make shot making easier, which you don't reallt want when you have KP in good nick. You might get extra bounce, but KP is a tall man and can deal with extra bounce well.

I guess these are the thought processes that go into deciding whether to take the new ball.

Also its good to warm your new ball bowlers up with an over or two with the old one, so as not to waste it.

Although I am surprised they havent taken it by now

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In amongst the KP adoration, Prior picks up another fifty.

I always knew he'd be a top banana:ph34r:

Fiery

Banned
In amongst the KP adoration, Prior picks up another fifty.

I always knew he'd be a top banana:ph34r:
He currently has the best batting average in the history of the game. 199 and ticking over. Not bad for a keeper

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I wonder if a keeper has ever had a better test average ?
Brendon Kuruppu averaged 223 at one point (though he wasn't a keeper when he finally got an average, having scored 201* as keeper, then 19 as opener in his next Test, then 3 in the second innings before getting out again)

Majin

International Debutant
Nice to wake up to see KP went past his 158 that he seemed to be stuck on, I had a bet with a couple of college mates that he'd do that this series. :D

Fiery

Banned
Brendon Kuruppu averaged 223 at one point (though he wasn't a keeper when he finally got an average, having scored 201* as keeper, then 19 as opener in his next Test, then 3 in the second innings before getting out again)
Or Brendan Kangaroopoo as the 12th man calls him. Well spotted Samuel_Vimes

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wonder if a keeper has ever had a better test average? 199 and ticking over
Didn't Kurrupu score a double on debut.

Edit: beaten to it.

I have to say he's been really impressive, he looked out of his depth in ODIs, which made me think he was going to be useless. Yet he's just one of those players that look like they belong at Test level.

Touch wood, also, he's not done anything wrong behind the stumps yet, and lets face it, when Plunkers and Harmi are bowling, it can't be that easy.

Fiery

Banned
Thanks fellas. I edited my post having discovered that but you guys were too quick for me (in case you were wondering why my original post was deleted). Cheers