• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ive always been a fan of 3rd man as the ball usually only goes there after a good delivery.

Nothing more soul destroying than a good ball going for 4 through a batsmans luck. However, they still set fielders for bad balls (ie off side sweeper and deep backwards square)

As a bowler you dont mind your bad balls being hit for 4, what is annoying is the good ones being squirmed away.

3rd man rewards the bowlers for bowling well whereas defensive field placings reward the bowler for kak balls.

As a bowler I know where I would want my fielder.
The captain has to assess whether the ball is more likely to go to third man or to the cover boundary though, so it isn't all about the bowler.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
West Indies all out for 437, some great batting down the order from Jerome Taylor and Darren Powell. Monty finishes up with 6/129.

pasag

RTDAS
Lol at that shot from Powell, good stuff from WI, never expected them to get this much, well played Monty as well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pretty circumspect start for us. Not that I really expected Strauss or (particularly) Cook to come out all guns blazing, but if we're to retain any pretence of going for the win we need to put runs on the board & the sooner the better.

The draw looks heavy favourite from here tho.

chalky

International Debutant
I wonder if England will promote Pietersen to 3 in an effort to force a result. If England are to force a result they probably need to to score at 4 - 4.5 and bat until the 1st hour of the 5th day giving them an approx 400 and 75 overs to bowl out the windies (wheather provided). However with the way Harmison and Plunkett have bowled and with Hoggard out the chances of forcing a result a pretty slim.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I must add, however irrelevant, that Moores is a lot easier on the eyes than Dunc - at least from a distance. Makes England at least look better. :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I said that during the Adelaide Ashes test.
Oz got a lot closer to our first innings score than the Windies have, although (IIRC) the Windies do have more time left to bowl us out (in theory at least) so it's swings-and-roundabouts really.

Still a draw for mine, followed by the English win & then just the vaguest glimmer of hope for the Windies victory.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
And weren't you surprised when Australia won? :p

I'm in two frames of mind for that game.

1. Hoggie gets 7 for, Colly gets a double ton and KP equals his top score for the 3rd time - you would expect, at the least, that England would of got a draw

2. Its the same team with Anderson, Giles and Jones in it. Giles dropped Ponting early on and Jones got run out in the most stupid of fashions and in the worst of time

So I'm not sure if I was suprised or not. One thing I do remember saying to the guys in my cricket team (we were listening to this on the radio) was that England should f declared earlier.

Also, Mahmood has 3/24 atm against a somewhat strong Yorkshire team - surely he has to be in front of Plunkett now (as long as Plunkey boy doesn't do an Adelaide Warney and get the win for the poms).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Strauss at his best in that over. His back foot preference has been well-publicised lately but he played some majestic cover drives early in his career - particularly on debut - they were a feature of his play early on. Evidence that he still possesses it just then. Hope he can actually go on with it for a change though. :p