• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** India in Bangladesh

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Harsh on Karthik there SJS. The guy imo looks perfectly suited to opening the innings in test match as he has a very good temperament. The none "superstar" image he might obtain may be a blessing in disguise as it may release the pressure off fo him.
I did not say he should not be in the side or doesnt deserve a place or cant open etc. I just said he is not a superstar - at least not as a pure batsman - atleast not today and I dont think hge will be a superstar batsman tomorrow. Yes he will improve as I have said elsewhere.

But he could be a superstar as a wicket keeper. He is absolutely fabulous behind the stumps and a natural.

By forcing this role on him we may actually deny him his super-stardom.

And lets have a heart, what has he done to be called a super star. This is what we do to our budding cricketers after a couple of good innings. I would LOVE for him to be a superstar but already ??

Sorry mate. We have a disagreement.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
When I said he is gritty like Kaif, I did not say he has more or less strokes than Kaif. You are putting words in my mouth.

He may have umpteen strokes, whatever that means, but from what I have seen so far he is no super star.

He has obviously a great attitude which is what endears him to someone like Chappell and which stands out in a team where it is a rare commodity.

He could become a better player than he still is afterall he is young.

Today he is a bit of a 'jack-in-the-box' like Kaif was which is characterised by his being hyper-active and running first and thinking afterwards. His running between the wickets is hare-like but not a very smart hare I am afraid. He is like those street dogs who will run in the dirction they are facing when a vehicle comes and sometimes it is disaster and at others they win in a tight finish but its always spectacular. :)

He should have been run out (or his partner) more than once today. I have noticed the same before.

This is not criticism for the sake of criticism for I am one of the few who feels he should ALWAYS be in the Indian side as he is by far the best keeper we have. But trying to make a super star batsman out of him willmake us lose an extremely gifted keeper, thats all.
You try to like you are fair, but none of your comments are fair and very harsh on Kaarthick.

He is more but not less than Kaif. within a short span, he has bailed out India 3 times, 1 in the 20-20 , against srilanka and i am sure many more to come.

See his body language while batting and fielding. But Kaif is only hare-like in the field and he is a walking wicket while batting. and hope you had seen his body language.

comments on his running too much far fetched and biased.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
You try to like you are fair, but none of your comments are fair and very harsh on Kaarthick.

He is more but not less than Kaif. within a short span, he has bailed out India 3 times, 1 in the 20-20 , against srilanka and i am sure many more to come.

See his body language while batting and fielding. But Kaif is only hare-like in the field and he is a walking wicket while batting. and hope you had seen his body language.

comments on his running too much far fetched and biased.
....its a bit taxing to keep repeating what I am saying.
I can live with that criticism :)
PS : Just one clarification. I did not mention Kaif in the VERY FIRST place because I felt he was better than Karthick or should have been in the side. I mentioned it as a compliment to Kaarthick since Kaarthick has that remarkable grit that Kaif had. Please dont turn everything to suit your preconcieved notion about what I am saying. if its not too difficult,

Last edited:

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
....its a bit taxing to keep repeating what I am saying.
I can live with that criticism :)
PS : Just one clarification. I did not mention Kaif in the VERY FIRST place because I felt he was better than Karthick or should have been in the side. I mentioned it as a compliment to Kaarthick since Kaarthick has that remarkable grit that Kaif had. Please dont turn everything to suit your preconcieved notion about what I am saying. if its not too difficult,
I dont want to comment on Kaif more, as i have done it numerous times with various stats that he is ineffective at all fronts.

If you dont believe he is a superstar, i am sure he will make you believe, as i have been following his career since he started his Ranji career.

I have enough reasons to believe he is a superstar.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I dont want to comment on Kaif more, as i have done it numerous times with various stats that he is ineffective at all fronts.

If you dont believe he is a superstar, i am sure he will make you believe, as i have been following his career since he started his Ranji career.

I have enough reasons to believe he is a superstar.
I am not interested in Kaif but you sem to have a fixation about him so I will ignore it as an appendage to your posts like a signature :)

About wait and see whether Kaarthik becomes a super star "as a batsman mind you because I think the world of him as a keeper" I finally think my stand is Hum dekhenge. We shall see.

Whether he IS a super star. Hmmm..well...err... theek hai Its your opinion. and you are as entitled to it as I am to mine. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am not interested in Kaif but you sem to have a fixation about him so I will ignore it as an appendage to your posts like a signature :)

About wait and see whether Kaarthik becomes a super star "as a batsman mind you because I think the world of him as a keeper" I finally think my stand is Hum dekhenge. We shall see.

Whether he IS a super star. Hmmm..well...err... theek hai Its your opinion. and you are as entitled to it as I am to mine. :)
Ram, I don't think SJS meant that he is not a good batsman.... But superstar means Sachin or Dravid levels and I don't think DK has it in him to reach that levels yet. Just look at the number of cut shots he missed off the spinners today. Each one could have been a four. I have seen him struggle often with his timing. He is gifted in the sense that he is a better than decent technique and his feet work quickly enough to get him into good positions most of the times. And because of that, he can basically play any shot in the book (and a few that are not in the book). But he is not gifted with the timing that you see with most great batsmen. And he is not as powerful as he could have been, if he wants to make it as a pure batsman alone.

At the test level, I agree with SJS, I think he has the potential to be the best in the world as a keeper and a very very good and gutsy batsman at no.7 with the ability to play strokes if so needed. And as he plays more international games, I am sure his timing will improve and maybe even his power. But in trying to make a superstar out of him as a batsman, it would be a pity if we are to lose out on a guy who has the potential to be even better than Mongia as a keeper. He can be just as good as Mongia to the spinners and he has more of an inclination to dive around to the seamers than Mongia did.

SJS is one of the most balanced posters in this site and you don't have to be so harsh on him. I agree that it did come off as though SJS was being harsh on DK but as he has clarified, he wasn't and I kinda agree with him that by pushing DK the batsman, we shouldn't destroy DK the keeper. It is the latter who could really help INdia esp. seeing that there aren't many quality glovemen going around in world cricket at the moment.

crickmate

U19 12th Man
even a clown would have given it out. The only reason I can think of this mistake is that he was thinking about his new girlfriend at the time of incident and did not notice the ball at all.

He did similar kind of things before. A real disgrace as an umpire. If I remember correctly Bangladesh officially made complaints against him to ICC 2/3 years back.

Asoka De Silva is a clown, MS Dhoni was beyond plumb. Fair credit to Dhoni though his played a splendid knock and Bangladesh have had more than enough chances to kill this game without the assistance of inept fools such as De Silva. Karthik too has played brilliantly, by my favourite Indian batsman. Get him in the test side!

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain

May be i should add that to my signature. But selectors seem to have fallen in line with my thinking.:laugh:

apologies if you people feel i am really stubborn on my thoughts about Karthick. It just stems out from the fact that i have been following him very closely since he started his ranji career, and seen him doing extraordinary well during tough situations. I should say i am really biased.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
May be i should add that to my signature. But selectors seem to have fallen in line with my thinking.:laugh:

...... I should say i am really biased.
Thats okay Ram. We all are biased about something or the other the trick is to camouflage it as objectivity :)

pup11

International Coach
Asad Rauf,Billy Bowden and Asoka De Silva are three umpires i would like to see being chucked out the ICC's elite panel of umpires.

They all have been way too inconsistent and at times dire, so they deserve to be chucked out of the elite panel.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Asad Rauf,Billy Bowden and Asoka De Silva are three umpires i would like to see being chucked out the ICC's elite panel of umpires.

They all have been way too inconsistent and at times dire, so they deserve to be chucked out of the elite panel.
For me, Asoka De Silva is the worst umpire i had ever seen......

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Great innings by Karhik and Dhoni. Chappell liked Karthik too, and that's why. I can't believe the other idiots are still on the team when Chappell has been chucked out.

I agree with SJS, Karthik is a good keeper and a good batsman. He can average high thirties in test cricket IMO, but he is hardly a superstar. But I'll take a consistent 35-40 runs from a wicket keeper any day of the week. Not everyone can be Gilchrist.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
I watched some of the match today. Some lovely batting and lots of passion and enthusiasm from both sides. I'm becoming quite a fan of Dhoni.:)

R_D

International Debutant

i just went through last few pages of this thread... is it just me or have you used " dire" word in like every single post... " dire" this " dire" that... find a new word :p

Lucky escape for team india once again... Good knock by Dhoni and Kaarthick to get them over. Every time Dhoni's been sent it to bat at 3 he's delivered most of the times.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
R_D said:
i just went through last few pages of this thread... is it just me or have you used " dire" word in like every single post... " dire" this " dire" that... find a new word
Dire suggestion tbh.