• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Ever Test XI

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's interesting that nearly everyone includes Gavaskar (who I rate massively btw). His record v WI in the 80s was amazing. But if one examines his record in Australia (the batting equivalent of fast bowlers on the subcontinent re. difficult pitches and conditions to adjust to) his stats here are very good in only 2 series really - during WSC when Australia were very poor and Thommo was coming back from the shoulder op., and 1985-86 when Australia were in their all-time nadir. If we are to be consistent with our ratings, ought we mark him down somewhat because when Australia were at/ near their top in the 3 test series in 80/81 he averaged 19? Don't know how well he went in the Rest of the World series in 1971-72 either. It's a small sample to judge one by, but we're happy to do it with others such as DK

He's obviously a great player, but this exercise proves what can be done with statistics.

Thoughts?
His actual stats against Windies when the top 4 pacers played aren't all that impressive either. But I never saw the guy play and I absolutely always refuse to rate players that I have never seen. I just think a lot about whether a player is good or not can be only said by seeing them.

Obviously, those with great stats must have been great players, but to decide who is better between them, I would rather prefer doing that only when I have seen the players in question in action, at least on TV if not LIVE. No offence, but it is always funny for me to see someone like Sean (who can't be that elder to me, in fact I think he is younger than me) saying stuff like "Greg Chappell was obviously better than player X"....

readie

State Regular
1. Don Bradman
2. Graham Pollock
3. Ian Botham
4. Brian Lara
5. Viv Richards
6. Adam Gilchrist
7. Shane Warne
8. Dennis Lilee
9. Joel Garner
10. Muttiah Murali
11. Glen McGrath
No Sobers??

Pollock and Bradman aren't openers

Botham not a first drop

readie

State Regular
my all-time XI is:

Tendulkar
Hayden
Bradman
Lara
Viv Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Imran Khan
Warne
Lillee
Mcgrath

readie

State Regular
Tendulkar and Hayden opening in an all time side. :shock:

At least Bradman is there to pick up the pieces when it's 15/2.
I'm only 16 so I haven't seen much at all of Gavaskar who was another choice and Hobbs etc. are way before my time.

I did think about Greenidge, Haynes etc. but found it very hard to pick the openers

after that was sweet though

p.s what is GM - OLAS

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'm only 16 so I haven't seen much at all of Gavaskar who was another choice and Hobbs etc. are way before my time.

I did think about Greenidge, Haynes etc. but found it very hard to pick the openers

after that was sweet though

p.s what is GM - OLAS
Glenn McGrath - Our Lord And Saviour

andmark

International Captain
My alltime xi

1)Adam Gilchrist *
2)Matthew Hayden
3)Don Bradman
4)Viv Richards(cap)
5)Allan Border
6)Ian Botham