• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Ever Test XI

Francis

State Vice-Captain
When Richard starts stating that rating Lillee as the best is a decision made in the subcontious, I think it's time to let it be. There's nothing I can say more other than repeating what I have already said. The facts remain that most rated him the best they ever saw in the fast bowling department. You can say, "Oh Hadlee and Marshall idolised them, so maybe they were biased" etc. but then you disregard the commentatros and umpires who said he was the best. Are they are making subcontious decisions in their brain? Many of them disregarded his on-field persona and rather sought to analyse his many variations - the cutters, the swing, the seam, the change of pace etc.

For the last time. There's just too much testimony and it's too comprehensive for silly explanations like, "it was a subcontious decision to rate him the best." It's groaping and guessing and desperately trying to hold on to an opinion while refuting hard evidence.

I think we've gone as far as we can go with this Richard so I'll move on to JBH.

In response to JBH001:

The person who posted after me said it better than I could.

Well either did Bradman, Trumper, SF Barnes; do we mark them down as well?

What about viv Richards, GSC and Sunny, them never played in Sth Afr; should they be marked down.

What if China become a Test nation, will we discount all of the players that have not played on those wickets?
Can't judge cricketers by different standards.

And you said it best when you said you think he would have done well there. The logical question is to ask: What could prevent him from doing well over there? Hostile crowds? Lillee thrived in front of them. Unreceptive pitches? Bob Willis would tell you he thrived on them. Hot conditions? He came from Western Australia. Fast outfields? Brisbane and Perth anyone? I think it would be unfair if someone chastised Murali for never playing in China. And if he played three Tests in China and played poorly, would that mean he couldn't do well against them? Of course not, Murali's proven he can take wickets in the toughest of circumstances. When you're that established and proven, you know it's not the pitches or conditions. But oh the fact would remain he did poorly there and some future guy who could never break Murali's great records, but is established at taking wickets everywhere, could do something there and suddenly he's greater. That would be a shame if that ever happened because we know Murali's just about the perfect bowler.

The ridiculous thing is that if people think he could do well in sub-continent pitches, and that he's proven himself on unreceptive pitches, then it's not the sub-continent at all that was the reason for a few poor Tests. The place where he plays suddenly becomes irrelevent and it becomes clear he was just in bad form. I have no problem with people saying, "LIllee was in bad form in the sub-continent."

In response to no one inparticular... I would like to say that I don't blink when people say Hadlee or Marshall are better than Lillee. If Lillee was better than Marshall then surely it was only by a small margin, Hadlee too. I can also accept it when people say a few other bowlers are better. But I will say I think it was sad when, a while ago here at CW, people were rating the ten best bowlers of all time... and many didn't have Lillee in that list. You would never find a fast bowling great having Lillee out of their top ten, let alone top five, including that most would have him at one.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
It doesnt prove anything...and that's the whole point! He didn't do it, while others did...it's that simple.

So as I said because Viv, GSC and Sunny did not play in SA you discount all of them when you compare players with a similar ave: who did/have played in SA?

It is such a silly argument, or am I the only one who thinks so?:huh:

lettsylegend

Cricket Spectator
My all time XI

Couldn't really read through all 19 pages and this one might have already been proposed but i'd go for....

Hobbs
Tendulkar
Bradman
Ponting
Lara (before he became rubbish)
Sobers
Gilchrist
Warne
Lilee
Garner
Thompson

Explanation - you'll have noticed many modern players, particulalry in the top order and i believe that due to these modern exceptional pitches batsmen with less talent appear as better players than those from yesteryear which incidentally makes Bradman even more remarkable, im pretty sure he'd avergae in excess of 120 if he were to play now. Also i had to pick Thompson when i realised he once bowled at around 108 mph and this would be beautifully offest by warne or sobers. I also believe that there has never once been a wicket keeper in the history of world cricket who has stood out enough to be in a world XI but i had to pick someone....

JBH001

International Regular
Well either did Bradman, Trumper, SF Barnes; do we mark them down as well?

What about viv Richards, GSC and Sunny, them never played in Sth Afr; should they be marked down.

What if China become a Test nation, will we discount all of the players that have not played on those wickets?
Well, in the case of Bradman and Barnes they are so statistically ahead of everyone else (especially their contemporaries) that no, it does not matter. So no, we do not mark them down - and in any case they played on the same surfaces as their contemporaries, so a comparison in that context is possible. Though cross generationally, especially in the case of Trumper it remains very difficult.

Viv, GSC and Sunny never played in SA true - so what? What is the big deal about playing in SA? If it was fast bowlers and bouncy tracks, Sunny faced enough WI bowlers home and away, Viv faced Lillee, Thommo and Imran, and GSC faced also faced the WI quicks home and away. So that comparison serves nothing at all. But now that you bring it up, this is one reason I do not rate B Richards as high as his contemporaries who did play plenty of test matches - whatever his undoubted class, we simply do not know how he would have gone at the highest level for an extended period of time. And the same may apply to Graeme Pollock as well.

And China is not a test nation, and if it does become one we shall have to see what its surfaces and environment is like first, before making any hasty calls.

Jeez, talk about a post full of strawmen 8-)

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Viv, GSC and Sunny never played in SA true - so what?
So what? Here people are saying there's plenty of reasons why Lillee could have done poorly in the sub-continent - different conditions, different outfield, different pitches (I don't believe any of it), and what? They don't chastise those players.

What is the big deal about playing in SA? If it was fast bowlers and bouncy tracks, Sunny faced enough WI bowlers home and away, Viv faced Lillee, Thommo and Imran, and GSC faced also faced the WI quicks home and away.
Ah I see, but if Lillee bowls to people on dead tracks in Australia, it's of course different in the sub-continent. Like I said I odn't believe any of it, and you hear commentators say, oh this pitch players like the WACA etc so of course pitches can play the same around the world. A dead pitch is a dead pitch like I said. Like I said, there's a double-standard here. If Lillee was proven on bad wickets then he simply was out of form.

archie mac

International Coach
Well, in the case of Bradman and Barnes they are so statistically ahead of everyone else (especially their contemporaries) that no, it does not matter. So no, we do not mark them down - and in any case they played on the same surfaces as their contemporaries, so a comparison in that context is possible. Though cross generationally, especially in the case of Trumper it remains very difficult.

Viv, GSC and Sunny never played in SA true - so what? What is the big deal about playing in SA? If it was fast bowlers and bouncy tracks, Sunny faced enough WI bowlers home and away, Viv faced Lillee, Thommo and Imran, and GSC faced also faced the WI quicks home and away. So that comparison serves nothing at all. But now that you bring it up, this is one reason I do not rate B Richards as high as his contemporaries who did play plenty of test matches - whatever his undoubted class, we simply do not know how he would have gone at the highest level for an extended period of time. And the same may apply to Graeme Pollock as well.

And China is not a test nation, and if it does become one we shall have to see what its surfaces and environment is like first, before making any hasty calls.

Jeez, talk about a post full of strawmen 8-)
Yes a silly argument for a silly argument8-)

The SCG turns the Adelaide oval is more often then not a flat track, check Shane Warnes form in England not to mention Laker and a contemp. of Lillee Underwood.

So your argument is that only wickets in the Sub Cont. turn? Or are flat tracks is silly 4th Test England 1938 anyone (I know it was the 5th but one was washed out).

So what is on my side?

Almost every contemporary of Lillee rates him the best including most umpires and most commentators.

What is on your side (I will help you a little) Lillee did not have a yorker, and had trouble taking tailender wickets.

Still for most peoples money he rates No.1

Last edited:

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Lillee did not have a bouncer...
Sir Garfield Sobers would be the first one to dispute that. He remarked later, after Lillee's first ball to him, that he'd never seen a delivery like it. Tony Greig would probably be second to say that he had a great bouncer.

and had trouble taking tailender wickets.
Never heard that one. The story of the Centenary Test has him cleaning up the tail efficiently.

Where'd you get those conclusions? I'm not saying I'll argue them, I might agree with you. I just haven't heard that stuff being said abut him.

archie mac

International Coach
Sir Garfield Sobers would be the first one to dispute that. He remarked later, after Lillee's first ball to him, that he'd never seen a delivery like it. Tony Greig would probably be second to say that he had a great bouncer.

Never heard that one. The story of the Centenary Test has him cleaning up the tail efficiently.

Where'd you get those conclusions? I'm not saying I'll argue them, I might agree with you. I just haven't heard that stuff being said abut him.
Fixed now, I meant yorker (trying to get the kids ready for school and argue for my hero).

I remember once when Lillee was closing in on a milestone they gave some stats on him claiming a low percentage of tailend wickets, and I have always remembered that.

archie mac

International Coach
Just further on the 'tail end' thing

The commentators at the time though it was because Lillee often bowled an away swinger that tailenders were just not good enough to get an edge too. They also said his lack of a yorker (not bouncer:laugh: ) made it hard for him to run through the lower order

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
OK, switch Lara with Sachin. Ponting himself said Sachin was better than Lara. Who is right, Ponting or Ian Chappell?
Yeah, but if you take a large sample of all the people playing in this era, even of public sentiment in this era, you know that both were great as both receive very flattering compliments. Hard to split them in that capacity as well as their actual performances.

In regards to Lillee, it seems to me, from what I have read and heard, that he was regarded a step above the others.

JBH001

International Regular
Yes a silly argument for a silly argument8-)

The SCG turns the Adelaide oval is more often then not a flat track, check Shane Warnes form in England not to mention Laker and a contemp. of Lillee Underwood.

So your argument is that only wickets in the Sub Cont. turn? Or are flat tracks is silly 4th Test England 1938 anyone (I know it was the 5th but one was washed out).

So what is on my side?

Almost every contemporary of Lillee rates him the best including most umpires and most commentators.

What is on your side (I will help you a little) Lillee did not have a yorker, and had trouble taking tailender wickets.

Still for most peoples money he rates No.1
Errr....there is a difference, believe it or not, between playing on dead surfaces at home and dead surfaces away from home, and in new and strange conditions. There is also a difference between playing a series away from home where you know that every surface is going to be unhelpful, and playing a series at home where you know that an unhelpful surface has been counterbalanced by a helpful surface earlier in the series or a helpful surface to come later in the series.

If this were not the case, there would be no point in saying that the ultimate challenge for a bowler or batsman (these days) is to perform well in Australia against Australia. Or to say that a very good test of a batsman as a player of spin is how he plays in India against India, or for a spinner, how he plays in India against India, or against NZ seamers in NZ, to face WI quicks in WI (in their pomp) and so on.

This I believe is what the argument comes down to. Not one of specific surfaces, but of the overall conditions and environment in which an individual has played his cricket. The debate is, after all, not that Lillee did not play on dead surfaces, rather that he did not play on sub-continental dead surfaces with everything that that qualification implies, and the ones that he did play on proved an enormously humbling experience for him.

(This, at any rate, is how I see it, though I do not know for sure what others have said in what is after all a 20 page thread)

Therefore, in regards to your SA example, if there was something distinctive and unique for a batsman or bowler in touring there during the period in question 70's/80's then you would have a point. But, afaik, there was not. If it was a test of batting against fast bowlers on helpful surfaces that you had in mind, then better tests could be obtained against the WI, Aus, England, NZ.

And moreover, as SS has already said, no-one of equal worth or significance to those batsmen you mentioned played on SA pitches/conditions either. Therefore, comparison to contemporaries and near equals is not affected in any way by your example.

I have nothing but the greatest admiration for Lillee, as I have maintained all along. But Lillee is not far and away the better bowler when compared to the likes of Marshall and Hadlee, the differences - if any - are marginal. Therefore, if we are to indulge in judgement and speculation regarding their relative merits (dependant of course on the context of selection), everything about the bowlers must be taken into consideration. To do so is to be fair to Lillee (keeping in mind a small sample of tests in Pakistan, and performances on unhelpful surfaces in Aus, NZ, Eng) but also to be fair to Marshall and Hadlee (a larger sample, and proven perfomances on unhelpful surfaces and in unhelpful conditions, as well as those unhelpful surfaces in Aus, NZ, England).

I fail to see how one can reasonably judge otherwise. Testimony of other players, though important,can only take you so far - after all, if that is what we base our judgement on then we may as well reduce our arguments to a 'he said/she said' form, conduct a poll or survey, give up our independant judgement, and be done with it.

The point is not that Lillee could not perform on conditions inimical to fast bowling, the point is that he simply did not, especially when compared to equals or near equals like Marshall and Hadlee, who did. Therefore, their claims must in all fairness be given precedence and priority.

Last edited:

JBH001

International Regular
Ah I see, but if Lillee bowls to people on dead tracks in Australia, it's of course different in the sub-continent. Like I said I odn't believe any of it, and you hear commentators say, oh this pitch players like the WACA etc so of course pitches can play the same around the world. A dead pitch is a dead pitch like I said. Like I said, there's a double-standard here. If Lillee was proven on bad wickets then he simply was out of form.
No offense Francis, but sounds like you have your fingers stuck in your ears.

I had a look at Lillee's figures pre Pak series, and post Pak series. He took 23 wickets in 3 tests against England before the series, and 5 wickets in the single centennial test against England after the series.

One could presume bad form or not, but to be honest, one can really only state 'dont know' with any significant level of certainty. Something I do not have to state with Marshall and Hadlee.I hope you can see my point and where I am coming from.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
My last post on the issue as no one seems to be giving any ground:)

I don't think anyone said Lillee was miles ahead of the others, just that he was in front.

How well did Imran do it that series in Pakistan? Not a whole lot better from memory. And as for pitches in OZ at the moment flat, flat, flat

andmark

International Captain
My alltime xi

1)Adam Gilchrist *
2)Matthew Hayden
3)Don Bradman
4)Viv Richards(cap)
5)Allan Border
6)Ian Botham
7)Imran Khan
8)Shane Warne
9)Murili
10)Glenn McGrath
11)Curtly Ambrose

spin coach Terry Jenner
Pace coach Shoaib Aktar
Spokesman David Lloyd
Fielding coach Paul Colingwood

And last but not least the team bodygaurd fat Gat.:laugh:

Last edited:

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Alright, I was thinking about a variation to my 1st XI to incorporate two spinners and quicks and the allrounder, rather than three quicks, a spinner and the allrounder.

Current team:
Hobbs
Gavaskar
Bradman
Hammond
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Warne
Marshall
Lillee
Ambrose

The variation:
Hobbs
Gavaskar
Bradman
Hammond
Sobers
Gilchrist
Imran
Warne
Marshall
Lillee
Murali

Basically swapping Imran for Viv to ensure there are still three top drawer quicks while mitigating as much as possible the loss of Viv's batting, and then subbing Ambrose with Murali.

Which team do people think would be stronger and win more matches?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Gavaskar
Hobbs
Bradman
Tendulkar
Hammond
Sobers
Gilchrist (Flower was so close)
Akram
Hadlee
Warne
McGrath

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's interesting that nearly everyone includes Gavaskar (who I rate massively btw). His record v WI in the 80s was amazing. But if one examines his record in Australia (the batting equivalent of fast bowlers on the subcontinent re. difficult pitches and conditions to adjust to) his stats here are very good in only 2 series really - during WSC when Australia were very poor and Thommo was coming back from the shoulder op., and 1985-86 when Australia were in their all-time nadir. If we are to be consistent with our ratings, ought we mark him down somewhat because when Australia were at/ near their top in the 3 test series in 80/81 he averaged 19? Don't know how well he went in the Rest of the World series in 1971-72 either. It's a small sample to judge one by, but we're happy to do it with others such as DK

He's obviously a great player, but this exercise proves what can be done with statistics.

Thoughts?

shortpitched713

International Captain
West Indies pitches were pretty lively at the time too, however. I don't know if Gavaskar's record against the West Indies is significantly better home than away, but if it were I suppose it might put something to your theory. I doubt though theres that much of a difference so I think we can safely say that Gavaskar's technique against challenging pace was most definitely not suspect.