• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is mitchell johnson once in generation fast bowler?

pup11

International Coach
Mitchell is not only about pace he can bowl at 90mph or more easily, but his assets are he can make the ball bounce of a good length , he moves the ball both ways at that pace, and he reverses the ball pretty well too. So to say that he is all about pace is wrong, one more thing that works in his favour is that he is the only left arm bowler with that sort of pace and movement which makes him a tough bowler to face.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Well I can only presume that the "fastest bowler" statement was a reference to international cricket, given that I'm sure there are faster or equally fast bowlers who haven't played international cricket. Pace is a start but is the least of Johnson's most impressive attributes. It's actually the least important in the making of an international bowler. A good one.
well yea international cricket.. i wouldn't say pace is the least of Johnson's most impressive attributes.. if he was 10k slower but had the same bounce then he wouldn't be as good IMO..
and i agree with Faipp.. u need a bit of hurry up on the batsmen.. either that or you are a swing bowler or McGrath mould or something.. swing + pace = deadly

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
well yea international cricket.. i wouldn't say pace is the least of Johnson's most impressive attributes.. if he was 10k slower but had the same bounce then he wouldn't be as good IMO..
and i agree with Faipp.. u need a bit of hurry up on the batsmen.. either that or you are a swing bowler or McGrath mould or something.. swing + pace = deadly
It's the movement, bounce and general accuracy that makes Johnson exciting. Not his pace. As such, I consider pace to be the least of his attributes. I'm not discounting pace as a keen attribute. I'm just saying that it's more garnish on his other abilities.

Mr Mxyzptlk

well you can teach line and length and swing and all that..but u cant teach pace
Almost anyone can swing a cricket ball. Few can trouble a proper batsmen with it.
And it's not quite so simple to teach line and length. Pace is a starting point, but a very minute number of the many quick bowlers in this world have ever and will ever amount to anything worthwhile.

Mr Mxyzptlk

...and that means he is a wonderful prospect at such a young age. To have that next to his name means alot, and would to him too. No one likes facing left-armers and at that pace they can be very tricky.

Johnson is excellent.
You've just ruined your credibility with that last statement. There are no excellent left arm seamers in world cricket at the moment. Period.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
especially when the ball is coming down at 90 mph and youre only used to 70
No bowler who bowls at 70mph will ever have much success in domestic cricket anywhere.
or when some cheeky bastard questions your parentage when all you've been used to is compliments
Which anyone with any brain knows happens all the time (and it's not as uncommon as you'd think in the domestic game, either - I'd guess more in Australia than anywhere).
or when batsmen take that off-stump ball and repeatedly smack it through mid-wicket
Which only a tiny handful of the very best have EVER been able to do.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
well you can teach line and length and swing and all that..but u cant teach pace
Err, you cannot teach line-and-length. Or rather, you can teach it only to a certain degree.

Otherwise he who pracised the most would be the most accurate.

You can teach someone to swing a ball, but the ball still needs to be in the right condition.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No bowler who bowls at 70mph will ever have much success in domestic cricket anywhere.

Which anyone with any brain knows happens all the time (and it's not as uncommon as you'd think in the domestic game, either - I'd guess more in Australia than anywhere).

Which only a tiny handful of the very best have EVER been able to do.
Explain the development of Mohammed Yousuf

No change in technique yet he suddenly records the highest number of runs in a calendar year

More practice or has he learned how to construct an innings via experience in the middle?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's the movement, bounce and general accuracy that makes Johnson exciting. Not his pace. As such, I consider pace to be the least of his attributes. I'm not discounting pace as a keen attribute. I'm just saying that it's more garnish on his other abilities.
No.

10 - 15 ks slower and he's Bracken or Bradshaw.

Both good bowlers but without the edge in pace that would see them be consistently successful at test level

Johnson's big attribute is being able to do the things he does AT PACE

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Brett Lee pretty conclusively disproves that.

Without a decent accuracy, no bowler is anything.
Not really, it's actually precisely the other way around. Lee's usually nearly unplayable when he's swinging the ball, which is one of the reasons he's much better in ODIs, where he swings it more consistently. Where he struggles, or did, particuarly earlier in his career when he had more of a problem with accuracy, is when the ball doesn't swing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Explain the development of Mohammed Yousuf

No change in technique yet he suddenly records the highest number of runs in a calendar year

More practice or has he learned how to construct an innings via experience in the middle?
No, he's just been incredibly fortunate for a year.

I lost count of the number of dropped catches he benefited from.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not really, it's actually precisely the other way around. Lee's usually nearly unplayable when he's swinging the ball, which is one of the reasons he's much better in ODIs, where he swings it more consistently. Where he struggles, or did, particuarly earlier in his career when he had more of a problem with accuracy, is when the ball doesn't swing.
Lee has struggled plenty in my time watching just due to inaccuracy, whether or not he's swinging the ball.

He certainly has spells where he's near-unplayable with the swing, but equally he has spells where it makes the cricket-ball even harder to control.

shortpitched713

International Captain
No, he's just been incredibly fortunate for a year.

I lost count of the number of dropped catches he benefited from.
Wow, an entire year of record breaking performance, and you put it down to dropped catches. Next thing you'll tell us is McGrath's just been lucky all these years in Test cricket.