• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is mitchell johnson once in generation fast bowler?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Do you seriously believe that you can learn the essentials of international cricket as a cricketer by merely watching it?
I believe you can learn what is required - that really isn't difficult. Countless hundreds of people on here could tell you.

Being able to do it, of course, is another matter.

adharcric

International Coach
Exactly. Everyone knows that you should get on your front foot, play close to the body, bowl an off-stump line, etc. Actually doing it is a different story.

Laurrz

International Debutant
hes a good find, hits the pitch pretty hard and a short uncomplicated run up... nice stuff :)

if theres one thing i'd like to see from him its Conventional swing :unsure:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
...didn't watch Aus vs Ind at the Champs Trophy?

EDIT: He may well have swung the ball in other games, but I haven't seen him bowl all that many times recently.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
He's not been bowling with the new ball (aside from one game). He usually swings the new white ball if there's anything available, similar to Lee.

Laurrz

International Debutant
yea i guess, will need the right conditions i suppose :)

just imagine what a handful he'd be in England ?

pup11

International Coach
I think michell johnson needs the new ball for him to swing it. He looks to hit the deck more nowadays because he comes as a second change bowler. He can reverse them and thats a handy art to have. I think he will swing the red ball more than the white one.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Exactly. Everyone knows that you should get on your front foot, play close to the body, bowl an off-stump line, etc. Actually doing it is a different story.
especially when the ball is coming down at 90 mph and youre only used to 70

or when some cheeky bastard questions your parentage when all you've been used to is compliments

or when batsmen take that off-stump ball and repeatedly smack it through mid-wicket

Nets and theory only teach u so much

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well I can only presume that the "fastest bowler" statement was a reference to international cricket, given that I'm sure there are faster or equally fast bowlers who haven't played international cricket. Pace is a start but is the least of Johnson's most impressive attributes. It's actually the least important in the making of an international bowler. A good one.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think a certain amount of pace is helpful. Without either pace or awkward bounce off a length to make strokeplay more difficult, you're not going to be that successful. There's the odd exception, like Pollock and Collymore, but I think it holds true most of the time.

That said, you certainly don't need to be express. Anything around 130 is perfectly acceptable if you have the skills to go with it.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
m johnson is a good bowler but i think the jury will be out on him for another 12 months and yer tests is the key.