• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

smash84

The Tiger King
What I said that started all of this is having a great cordon is just as or even more important than having a great 5th bowler of "batting deep" especially using batting as a criteria bast the no 10 spot.

Please tell me what's wrong with that statement.
We've been telling you for the last 2 pages.

smash84

The Tiger King
Not really, what you've been saying is that slip fielding isn't that important and all teams should bat to 11.

So all I can say is that you spend more time on stats guru than watching the game.
:laugh:

You haven't been paying attention. Maybe that is how you have been watching cricket as well ;)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The best slippers I know of:

Bob Simpson
Mark Waugh
Rahul Dravid
Clive Lloyd
Ian and Greg Chappell
Wally Hammond

I'm sure there are others. Ponting and Smith are exceptionally good too, although I'd prefer Ponting at point/cover if I have good slippers beside him.

kyear2

International Coach

Bob Simpson
Mark Waugh
Rahul Dravid
Clive Lloyd
Ian and Greg Chappell
Wally Hammond

I'm sure there are others. Ponting and Smith are exceptionally good too, although I'd prefer Ponting at point/cover if I have good slippers beside him.
A.B deVilliers
Jacques Kallis
Garry Sobers
Brian Lara
Carl Hooper
Jawardeane
Botham

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Bob Simpson
Mark Waugh
Rahul Dravid
Clive Lloyd
Ian and Greg Chappell
Wally Hammond

Mark Taylor was a better slipper than all of them except possibly Mark Waugh.

A lot of those other blokes you’ve listed were elite all round fielders, so Waugh would have been a great fine leg/ cover/ wherever as well as being elite in close. But for a fat **** who couldn’t otherwise move let alone field, Taylor was incredible in slips.

Burgey

Yeah same. Was incredible. Hard to believe he has such a Gumby batting record when his hand-eye coordination is obviously so ****ing good

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah same. Was incredible. Hard to believe he has such a Gumby batting record when his hand-eye coordination is obviously so ****ing good
He looked awesome he when he was batting as well, tbf. Only being a meh to decent Test batsman always seemed to be in his head.

What's really weird is that James Anderson is a decent slip fielder. Southee is too but Southee's hand-eye is fairly obviously when batting too even though he's a spud; Anderson absolutely does not look like he should be able to bat.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
There was a time when Windies had Lara Hooper and Simmons as their 3 slips. Was an excellent excellent cordon. With Adams at short leg too.

Burgey

There was a time they had Lloyd, Richards and Greenidge with Garner in gully and Logie at short leg

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Also coz he was one of the two fielders in our ODI set up then who actually had an arm that can get the ball in full or at least half volley to the keeper from the deep. The other was Agarkar.
Remembering that incredible throw from the deep that ran out Bevan. Sharjah 1998 was not just about his desert storm batting.

Edit : I think it was Steve Waugh with Bevan being his running partner. Hell, I am getting old..

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Headley never faced full-strength English team. His record against Australia is modest and he didn't face O'Reilly. And the quality of bowling he faced in FC circuit is also questionable.

I know Cardus and CLR James had good things to say about him regarding his ability on difficult wickets; but this isn't enough sample size for me to compare him to his fellow WI batsmen from different era.
Headley played a full strength England team in 1939 I believe. And Headley also played enough fc outside of the tests in England and Australia. My point, there is enough body of work there to deduce that he was an atg worthy of all the accolades. And whatever Australian or English attacks he faced were streets better than the indian, south African and new Zealand attacks that other great batsmen of his time feasted on. Just imagine what Headley could've done in his prime vs India or New Zealand (especially at home).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, its funny how some of the greatest batsmen of the recent years are also really good fielders. Not exactly Jonty but really good fielders and each with their own strengths and weaknesses. I remember in Sharjah 98 when Lara ran out Jonty after faking running after the ball slowly. Lara, Sachin, Virat, Steve Smith, Richards.. all contenders for the ATG #4/5 slots and all really really good fielders, each with their own strengths though.