• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

a massive zebra

International Captain
I wouldn't pay much attention to ESPN who are very biased in favour of American sports, or at least sports that have a big presence in America.

C.B. Fry could challenge Bradman for all round sporting skill.

He averaged over 50 in first class cricket, scored nearly 100 centuries and captained England without losing a Test.

He represented Southampton at football and got to the FA Cup final with them. Also played a few matches for England.

He tied the world long jump record.

He represented Blackheath and the Barbarians at Rugby.

I believe AB de Villiers had the ability to achieve similar sporting heights if sportsmen were not forced to focus on just one sport in modern times.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I wouldn't pay much attention to ESPN who are very biased in favour of American sports, or at least sports that have a big presence in America.

C.B. Fry could challenge Bradman for all round sporting skill.

He averaged over 50 in first class cricket, scored nearly 100 centuries and captained England without losing a Test.

He represented Southampton at Football and got to the FA Cup final with them. Also played a few mathese for England.

He tied the world long jump record.

He represented Blackheath and the Barbarians at Rugby.

I believe AB de Villiers had the ability to achieve similar sporting heights if sportsmen were not forced to focus on just one sport in modern times.
I don't pay that much attention to American sports. But Bo Jackson was a freak. Don Bradman is like Michael Jordan at best or more accurately Wayne Gretzky.

Bradman isn't special as a sportsman. He really isn't. He's like Phil the Power Taylor in the world of sports. That's the reality.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
No. Bo Jackson has a weight, (height I assume), speed and power advantage on Bradman. He would cripple him in a physical sports contest. No disrespect.

He would cripple Phil Taylor too at their respective peaks.
It is disrespect for sure. Bradman is good at ball sports, not physical sports contest. I don't see your point. Would you say Roger Federer sucks compared to Bo Jackson because Roger Federer would be cripped by Bo Jackson in a physical contest? WTF.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
It is disrespect for sure. Bradman is good at ball sports, not physical sports contest. I don't see your point. Would you say Roger Federer sucks compared to Bo Jackson because Roger Federer would be cripped by Bo Jackson in a physical contest? WTF.
Because Jackson had it all. Physical. Speed. Power. Hand eye with a ball. Running in front of him. He had it ALL. That is my point.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Bradman would eat Bo Jackson in a cricket tournament. Kool dog?
Nah dawg, Bo Jackson would smack it out the park in T20. Whats Bradman going to do, milk the strike?

And who wins the 100m?

Or Wrestle?

Or Boxing?

Or Rugby?

Or Football?

Yeah, sif you want to confine yourself to cricket batsmanship in tests, thats Phil Taylor in darts territory, no disrespect.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I would like to see Bo Jackson face Bodyline bowling without protective gear. Then we can talk.
Well its not like the Don did anything special there. Try again.

Why are you trying to argue batting in cricket is the superior sport? It is harder to hit a baseball.

Inzimam should let you know with a tripple hundred in tests, it aint that special as an athlete, really.

So is this about cricket's standing, or Bradman?

cnerd123

likes this
I would like to see Bo Jackson face Bodyline bowling without protective gear. Then we can talk.
I'd like to see Bo Jackson accomplish anything he already did without steroids and between the two World Wars tbh.

I'd also like to see Miyagi apologise for being wrong - I called him out on a mistake 100s of posts ago and he still has not owned up to it.

There will be a lot of things we won't ever see I suppose.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Seriously, you need to have some perspective. Bo Jackson would cripple Federer and cripple Jordan and cripple Bradman and he would cripple Michael Phelps and he would cripple Nadia Comaneci and he would eat them all according to you. You realise you are dissing on some of the greatest sports persons with remarkable ability in utter stupidity?

a massive zebra

International Captain
So the issue in this ad hominem debate, in case you forgot, as Australian cricket fans have,

is Donald Bradman just another Phil the Power Taylor with hand eye coordination, or does he deserve a seat with athletes who played professional sports and could run 100m under 10.4 and get Olympic medals except they were too busy dominating NFL and hitting a baseball in the MLB for mega bucks like Bo Jackson?

Phil the Power Taylor, Don Bradman or Bo Jackson, who is the greatest ever sportsman and why?

If you claim Bradman, why is he better than the fine and magnificent athlete that is Phil the Power Taylor (who dominated a professional sports in big money that is more global sport than cricket is now?)
Darts is not more global than cricket. 24 of the current top 27 players come from UK or the Netherlands. There are top cricket players from nearly a dozen countries.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDC_Order_of_Merit

It's not bigger money than cricket either. Only one player has made more than £1 million in prize money in the last two years. Many cricketers make that each year from IPL and central contracts alone.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Well its not like the Don did anything special there. Try again.

Why are you trying to argue batting in cricket is the superior sport? It is harder to hit a baseball.

Inzimam should let you know with a tripple hundred in tests, it aint that special as an athlete, really.

So is this about cricket's standing, or Bradman?
Averaged 99.9 without protective gear. Also, Averaging 50 plus in a bodyline series is not special? LOL.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I'd like to see Bo Jackson accomplish anything he already did without steroids and between the two World Wars tbh.

I'd also like to see Miyagi apologise for being wrong - I called him out on a mistake 100s of posts ago and he still has not owned up to it.

There will be a lot of things we won't ever see I suppose.
I'm not wrong. Batting in cricket is like darts.

Batting in cricket is a skill, its not an athletic power, physical, endurance, or power test.

It is skill like chess.

Bo Jackson was a great athlete.

Bradman is like Phil Taylor, good at his game.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Any ways, I have made the point. Will check the thread few days later when hopefully it is back to being an awesome thread and not hogged by one poster about some weird point he tries to make over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.