• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar better than Don Bradman, new study shows

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The ironic thing about all of this is that Sachin was in awe of Bradman, and Bradman was a big Sachin fan.

But nevertheless the trolls gotta bag them both and then people respond to the trolls.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
No it's obvious most Australians regard him as a national treasure. Which is perfectly OK, just that they are not as over-the-top or obnoxious in expressing their opinions as many Indians are. But they do get affronted, no doubt, just more subtle in expressing their outrage. Seen it happen over time.
In Bradman's case you can excuse them for all that, he's so much better than then rest. If it's about Warne or Lillee, there's a chance that I will agree with you.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
How DGB would have fared in the modern era or how SRT, Lara, Ponting would have done in the 30s is a pretty arbitrary argument. There are so many variables involved that it can be used to frame arguments for both sides.

SRT, Lara and co wouldnt have access to better infrastructure and support structures

DGB would have had to play in an era of more professional cricketers than his days (on an absolute basis). Bowlers also have more resources to devise gameplan against a star player of the opposite side.
50 years from now, a batsman averaging 40 odd and only at say 80th percentile would be better than Tendulkar. Isn't it?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
In Bradman's case you can excuse them for all that, he's so much better than then rest. If it's about Warne or Lillee, there's a chance that I will agree with you.
Yeah I agree. I can understand people being pissed when Bradman's achievement are belittled. Its horrible.

But sometimes on CW I think we can tell when they're obvious trolling.

**** of the block actually seems to genuinely think Bradman was no good though, so I guess he ain't trolling.

ganeshran

International Debutant
50 years from now, a batsman averaging 40 odd and only at say 80th percentile would be better than Tendulkar. Isn't it?
Depends on the quality of batting and bowling in that era. The whole point of the post was that its not possible to predict player's performances in eras very different from what they played in and people tend to argue on their perceptions and internal biases in these cases.

You are second guessing the intentions behind my posts and trying to refute a stand when I havent taken any.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Depends on the quality of batting and bowling in that era. The whole point of the post was that its not possible to predict player's performances in eras very different from what they played in and people tend to argue on their perceptions and internal biases in these cases.

You are second guessing the intentions behind my posts and trying to refute a stand when I havent taken any.
yeah I know. The quality can only go down from here. Guess what you can blame it on T20 a few decades later and claim that cricket has been poorer post 2010 or so. :dry:

ganeshran

International Debutant
yeah I know. The quality can only go down from here. Guess what you can blame it on T20 a few decades later and claim that cricket has been poorer post 2010 or so. :dry:
Again, a straw man argument. I havent posted anything on those lines yet you try to put words in my mouth.

Migara

International Coach
Interesting Jono, Waugh's average was only 36 after 80 innings but it reached 51 by the time he retired
The whole point is that a player will be allowed another 100 innings if he's improving. If he's going down, will not be allowed that much. This is the critical factor when it comes to extrapolation on cricket stats.

Migara

International Coach
Bradman also held down a full time job. I therefore propose that if he'd grown up in the modern professional era he'd have been able to dedicate all of his time to cricket, and he'd therefore average 150. Thus, it is clear that Bradman is 3 times the player Tendulkar is.

Discuss.
No he would average 250. [/discussion]