• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar better than Don Bradman, new study shows

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's also complete bull****. Tendulkar, Ponting and Lara have pretty similar records to the best players of the 1930s who weren't called Don Bradman.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not deprecating Bradman's achievements for his time. Only a fool would do that (which I've been accused of being from time too). But evolution is the only constant - I am positive a Sachin or a Ponting or a Lara, with their contemporary prowess, would've had much better records some 70 years before their time.
What if Bradman had contemporary training and professionalism though? You seem to suggest his average would halve or worse for some reason?

Where do you rate Headley, Hammond and Hobbs then? A bit less than Phil Hughes', Mark Butcher, Carl Hooper or Geoff Marsh's level I suppose?

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not deprecating Bradman's achievements for his time. Only a fool would do that (which I've been accused of being from time too). But evolution is the only constant - I am positive a Sachin or a Ponting or a Lara, with their contemporary prowess, would've had much better records some 70 years before their time.
That is saying that FC cricket today is better than test cricket in 30s as most test batsman have similar FC and test match averages.

Maybe this is true - but this is what you are saying.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Stupidity at its finest. If cricket was so easy back in the day why wasn't everyone in the 90s, or heck, even in the 70s or 80s?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Bradman (1928 - 1948)
Hutton (1937 - 1955)
Sobers (1954 - 1974)
Richards (1974 - 1991)
Tendulkar (1989 - 2011)

Arguably the pre-eminent batsmen of their generation, with overlapping careers, and none of them have been able to get anywhere close to the figures that Bradman did.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Stupidity at its finest. If cricket was so easy back in the day why wasn't everyone in the 90s, or heck, even in the 70s or 80s?
Bradman also held down a full time job. I therefore propose that if he'd grown up in the modern professional era he'd have been able to dedicate all of his time to cricket, and he'd therefore average 150. Thus, it is clear that Bradman is 3 times the player Tendulkar is.

Discuss.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
What if Bradman had contemporary training and professionalism though? You seem to suggest his average would halve or worse for some reason?

Where do you rate Headley, Hammond and Hobbs then? A bit less than Phil Hughes', Mark Butcher, Carl Hooper or Geoff Marsh's level I suppose?
Personally speaking, if you are to compare players from different eras, I prefer taking the player under the scanner - whole & soul - and place him in the era, past or future, and then imagine how he would've fared then. So if you're taking a Lara (I'm not even saying Sachin; I don't rate him on the level of a Lara), you take his proven skills, and then place them in the earlier age with its own trends and quirks. And vice versa for a player from the olden times. IMO, that's more interesting than simply relying on averages and numerical tidbits; Samaraweera averages over 50 doesn't he? For what joy?

Last edited:

ganeshran

International Debutant
How DGB would have fared in the modern era or how SRT, Lara, Ponting would have done in the 30s is a pretty arbitrary argument. There are so many variables involved that it can be used to frame arguments for both sides.

SRT, Lara and co wouldnt have access to better infrastructure and support structures

DGB would have had to play in an era of more professional cricketers than his days (on an absolute basis). Bowlers also have more resources to devise gameplan against a star player of the opposite side.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
How DGB would have fared in the modern era or how SRT, Lara, Ponting would have done in the 30s is a pretty arbitrary argument. There are so many variables involved that it can be used to frame arguments for both sides.

SRT, Lara and co wouldnt have access to better infrastructure and support structures

DGB would have had to play in an era of more professional cricketers than his days (on an absolute basis). Bowlers also have more resources to devise gameplan against a star player of the opposite side.
Just as batsmen can use said resources to plug holes in their techniques and figure out bowlers. Its not one way traffic

Top_Cat

But people seem to forget Sobers debuted less than a decade after Bradman. Played against many of Bradman's 48 side.
Not to mention he was cod ordinary against those guys until he ripped an easy triple against a crocked Pakistan attack. Was clearly a decline in the quality of bowling in the 60's, one of the pre-eminent spinners of the time was picked with a FC average in the 40's. :ph34r:

Burgey

Personally speaking, if you are to compare players from different eras, I prefer taking the player under the scanner - whole & soul - and place him in the era, past or future, and then imagine how he would've fared then. So if you're taking a Lara (I'm not even saying Sachin; I don't rate him on the level of a Lara), you take his proven skills, and then place them in the earlier age with its own trends and quirks. And vice versa for a player from the olden times. IMO, that's more interesting than simply relying on averages and numerical tidbits; Samaraweera averages over 50 doesn't he? For what joy?
I'm sure he gets a lot of joy out of it.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Just as batsmen can use said resources to plug holes in their techniques and figure out bowlers. Its not one way traffic
That was exactly my point. Predicting how a player would do in the different era can be used to frame arguments for both sides of the debate.