• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

the better bowler Malcolm Marshall or Dennis Lillee

SA

Banned
My ranking of top 10 pacers of all time:

Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Malcom Marshall
Wasim Akram
Glenn McGrath
Ian Botham
Allan Donald
Waqar Younis
Michael Holding
Joel Garner

Dennis Lillee was also a great bowler but he doesn't deserve to be in top 10.

archie mac

International Coach
C_C said:
I wont, simply because impressions against Lillee is absolutely irrelvant to impressions against McGrath and not comparable.
Lot of bowlers came to age at different times. Whether the person missed due to injury (and he missed ALL the tours of WI due to injury ? so he gets injured for the subcontinent and he gets injured all the time when they gotto go to the WI....bloody convininent i would say!)
or financial greed, the bottomline is, he didnt achieve it.
You get ranked through your achievements. Not your potential.
You fail to write the exam, you get a zero. Period.

PS: The English batting was no great shakes for much beyond the first few years in the 70s.
PPS: Wasim and Donald faced OZ batting at their best. When you compare bowlers across the eras, you have to compare by the same criterion carefully : not record against a particular team but record against the 'best team' of that time.
323 wickets potential? Plus another 100 against the best batsman in the World.
He did tour the Windies with WSC and bowled very well.

Stress fractures of the back and spending months in a cast very convenient. What exam? Bowling well in country you never toured? Lillee was great but it is hard to take wickets if you are not in the country. :laugh:

archie mac

International Coach
SA said:

Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Malcom Marshall
Wasim Akram
Glenn McGrath
Ian Botham
Allan Donald
Waqar Younis
Michael Holding
Joel Garner

All time? None of your bowlers have played before 1972?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Goughy said:
This is not quite accurate, As I mentioned in a previous thead and batsmans advantage is in their anticipation. Bradman could pick the length quicker than any other and get into position very early. This allowed great shot selection.

He did know where the ball would pitch earlier than others (whether this is Jedi-like I do not know)
Barry Richards said he picked the length out of the hand - with the placement of the hand when the ball left.
Barry Richards still attained a First-Class average of a mere (!) 55.
Maybe Bradman did pick length early - but I can't believe others haven't done the same thing from time to time.
He still couldn't tell what the ball was before it left the bowler's hand.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
Perhaps the pads were also very poorly made ?
Perhaps - it strikes me as a bit of a coincidence that all the pads would suddenly become substandard in that series, though.
Did Qadir breaking stumps have any pattern - eg all in the same match, all at the same ground, all in the same year, at a time when the manufacturer had changed, etc.?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
Add Bedi to the List - His Avg. in Ind, Aus, NZ, ENG, WI is less than half of his avg. in Pak

Add Bhajji to the list, He doesn't have an avg. in Pak, went wicket less

Add to lis Chandra, Prasanna, Qadir, Mushtaq and probably most of the spinners ever to play the game and I guarantee you that you wont be able draw a conclusion that India,Pak, SL pitches are of one kind.

And the fact is that they aren't.
Pakistan pitches have clearly historically been the flattest in The World.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
- Trueman on his first tour to Windies played 3 tests and had 9 wickets at 46.7 each

Thank God he toured again and made up otherwise he would have been another also-ran

He was clearly scared of the sub continental wickets for he never toured India or Pakistan. Most probably to preserve his stats.:dry:

- Muralitharan despite his 600 plus wickets averages 60 plus in Australia. Obviously a highly over rated bowler.

Dont even talk about his figures in India

- Shane Warne the legendry Aussie leg spinner came to the sub continent and discovered he was not that great. Each of his 10 wickets costing 54 runs.

He came again 3-4 years later and this time his 10 wickets cost him 50.5 each

Shamelessly he returned again again 3 years later and this time it was worth it with an average of 30.1.

- Lillee, however, was **** scared of the hammering he got on his first tour of the sub continent 3 wickets at 101 ech. He never returned.

- His counterpart from the Windies, the GREAT MALCOLM MARSHALL, fared MUCH better on HIS first tour to the sub continent taking the same THREE wickets in three test matches but at a HUGELY SUPERIOR average fo 88.33

He was smart enough to return to the sub continent again and improved his figures.

One could find other such smart guys I suppose and those like Lillee who were not so smart.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SA said:

Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Malcom Marshall
Wasim Akram
Glenn McGrath
Ian Botham
Allan Donald
Waqar Younis
Michael Holding
Joel Garner

I don't really know that Botham and Waqar deserve to be ranked alongside the rest. Both had relatively short periods of success the like of which has rarely been seen, then longish periods of relative mediocrity.
I also think that Donald wasn't, probably, quite as good as Holding and Garner.
And indeed it'd be better to say they're the best of the modern era, not of all-time, because you can't really compare them to the Lindwalls, Stathams, Millers, Truemans and Halls.
Interesting to find someone else who thinks there's a chance Imran was the best seamer of the modern era, too...
I emphasise - I don't think that for certain, but I don't find it impossible either and I find Imran rarely gets the credit he deserves in most parts. No-one ever seems to mention him in the very top bracket, and, for me, to claim Lillee was better than him is frankly laughable.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
- Trueman on his first tour to Windies played 3 tests and had 9 wickets at 46.7 each

Thank God he toured again and made up otherwise he would have been another also-ran

He was clearly scared of the sub continental wickets for he never toured India or Pakistan. Most probably to preserve his stats.:dry:

- Muralitharan despite his 600 plus wickets averages 60 plus in Australia. Obviously a highly over rated bowler.

- Shane Warne the legendry Aussie leg spinner came to the sub continent and discovered he was not that great. Each of his 10 wickets costing 54 runs.

Shamelessly he returned again again 3 years later and this time it was worth it with an average of 30.1.

- Lillee, however, was **** scared of the hammering he got on his first tour of the sub continent 3 wickets at 101 ech. He never returned.

- His counterpart from the Windies, the GREAT MALCOLM MARSHALL, fared MUCH better on HIS first tour to the sub continent taking the same THREE wickets in three test matches but at a HUGELY SUPERIOR average fo 88.33

He was smart enough to return to the sub continent again and improved his figures.

One could find other such smart guys I suppose and those like Lillee who were not so smart.
How did Imran first fare when he visited the subcontinent?
Oh, hang-on...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
How did Imran first fare when he visited the subcontinent?
Oh, hang-on...
He did okay but on his first tour to England he had a grand total of FIVE wickets with an average in the FIFTIES !!:dry:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
At, what, 18?
Picking 18-year-old bowlers, especially in those days, was always a crazy call. Body's nowhere near fully developed, always a risky call injury-wise, and rarely is an 18-year-old - bowler or batsman - going to be up to international cricket.
Imran barely played in his first 6 years after making his debut.
In any case - almost every cricketer has a pretty average start to their Test career. When was Lillee's first subcontinental series?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Richard said:
I don't really know that Botham and Waqar deserve to be ranked alongside the rest. Both had relatively short periods of success the like of which has rarely been seen, then longish periods of relative mediocrity.
I also think that Donald wasn't, probably, quite as good as Holding and Garner.
And indeed it'd be better to say they're the best of the modern era, not of all-time, because you can't really compare them to the Lindwalls, Stathams, Millers, Truemans and Halls.
Interesting to find someone else who thinks there's a chance Imran was the best seamer of the modern era, too...
I emphasise - I don't think that for certain, but I don't find it impossible either and I find Imran rarely gets the credit he deserves in most parts. No-one ever seems to mention him in the very top bracket, and, for me, to claim Lillee was better than him is frankly laughable.
I agree on the Imran part. I wouldn't go as far as laughable, but IMO Imran was the better bowler, and is one of the best of the modern era. I'd probably just have him behind Hadlee and Marshall.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe laughable is too strong a word, but equally - maybe not.
I'd say it's pretty obvious that Imran was the more complete bowler - complete in every way except the macho-bravado attitude. That, inevitably, counted against him.

Matt79

Global Moderator
SJS said:

If Lillee declined to tour the subcontinent, as opposed to be ruled out through injury, World Series cricket, or Australia simply not touring, etc, and I don't know whether he ever did because I was not born/an infant during his career, BUT, if he did, I am certain it had nothing to do with 'being afraid of copping a hiding'. Everything I've read about the man argues against that - basically if you beat him, he'd not be happy til he got a chance for a rematch to straighten out the record.

If he decided not to join touring teams, I'd say it was because of the shocking time Australia teams tended to have in the subcontinent until Steve Waugh led a reevaluation of Australian teams attitudes to touring the subcontinent. I hasten to add that the bad time the tourists had was certainly not the fault of the locals, but rather an attitudinal problem combined with some specific cricket issues that have since been recognised.

1) Everybody got dyssentry - often quite severely.
2) For your average Aussie, either from the suburbs or country, the subcontinent represented a massive culture shock, which they frequently failed to deal with.
3) They felt they were cheated against in Pakistan by a conspiracy between the Pakistani team, the Pakistani umpires, and the pitch curators. If you've read steve waugh's autobiog, he relates that for the 1985 tour, he was told by an old hand "you'll go to the first test, the umpires will cheat you and you'll lose the test. Then the next two tests will be on concrete runways that will offer no chance of a result and you'll lose the series 1-0" As Waugh describes it, this is exactly what happened, and after the first test, where he claims Miandad openly taunted them regarding his imperviousness to the laws of LBW, the Aussie squad nearly boycotted the rest of the tour.

Unfortunately for generations of players, touring the subcontinent was seen as an ordeal, but their reluctance was not because they felt they couldn't cut it there.

As I said, I didn't see Lillee play, and acknowledging the futility in one sense, but the irresistability on the other hand, of rating players you haven't seen, based on everything I've read, including assessments from players who played all the West Indian greats, presumably Hadlee, Imran, etc. they all say Lillee was special and in a class of his own.
He'd be the first pace bowler I'd pencil in for any greatest all-time XI.

Whether this makes him better than Marshall, I guess the implications of my comments is 'yes', but jeez, you're talking about two absolute legends, I'd take them both thanks.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Matt79 said:
If Lillee declined to tour the subcontinent, as opposed to be ruled out through injury, World Series cricket
"Being ruled-out through World Series Cricket" was entirely his fault.
Kerry Packer didn't force him to the grounds and make him play, he decided to trade career for cash. Whether that was understandible (most said Australian players were poorly paid) is another matter.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It is and I, and amz, have acknowledged that we were mistaken in believing this to be the case.
Nonetheless, Lillee's lack of subcontinental cricket is, in part, his fault - though there is plenty of blame attached to the ACB's tour managers and, of course, whatever caused his spinal stress fractures.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm... funny how not that many other bowlers have had similar problems, then.
Bowling not what God had in mind for the spine, sure, but... well, spinal stress-fractures are pretty unusual.
Maybe Lillee must take the blame for those, too?

Matt79

Global Moderator
His original action, whilst being described as poetry in motion etc, put enormous strain on particular areas of his back. Brett Lee had a similar problem, and maybe Bond (although that's just a hazy recollection, I'm not at all certain about it). That's why Lillee is so widely used as a coach these days, because he had to plan his own recovery/rehabilitation and completely redesign his action. His new action was not as aesthetically pleasing but was a model of sustainability - that's a large part of what he coaches. His courage in coming back from an injury type that had previously been considered career ending and becoming an even better bowler is a big part of why he's such a champ.