• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official**VB Series 2005 Australia,Pakistan,West Indies.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Disappointing for West Indies because they've kind of had a grip on things & then let it go rather badly.

shaka

International Regular
I would prefer to see West indies in the finals and to meet Australia as opposed to Pakistan v Australia in the final (likely at this stage of the WI v Aus game)

Slow Love™

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Same here, but I went for Hinds instead :(
Luckily, I do have Brett Lee. :) Come on Bing, get that five for. Only one over left.

What did people think of Lee's second hat-trick LBW appeal? It was a really tough call, so I don't blame Davis for not giving it out. Damn, it was close, though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
shaka said:
yup it is, Brett Lee is bowling better over the past few games IMO
Fantastic series for him.

After his 10 overs tonight he has 11 wickets @ 20.36 with an econ rate of 4.77. You can't find fault with that.

Slow Love™

International Captain
A bit of a dismal performance by the West Indies in the end, when you consider how good the start was. They didn't even end up claiming the bonus point.

Great stuff from Lee, and another innings from Katich that will probably go underrated.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Slow Love™ said:
Luckily, I do have Brett Lee. :) Come on Bing, get that five for. Only one over left.

What did people think of Lee's second hat-trick LBW appeal? It was a really tough call, so I don't blame Davis for not giving it out. Damn, it was close, though.
I had an inkling that it might actually hit leg-stump, but there's no way you can fault an umpire for saying no to that one when the only evidence is HawkEye.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
When you think about it, the west indies didnt deserve to win this. If you let a couple of tail enders score 80 runs off you at over a run a ball you deserve to lose.

twctopcat

International Regular
Arrow said:
When you think about it, the west indies didnt deserve to win this. If you let a couple of tail enders score 80 runs off you at over a run a ball you deserve to lose.
Sounds like they got the champions trophy final bug...... :@

shaka

International Regular
although the Aussies seem to do it quite often, and under pressure. take a look at the NZ v Aus in the world cup, they were really struggling, then their tail did well to get them to a goodish score.

Beleg

International Regular
Slow Love,

My comments [in answer to Linda I think] cannot be compared with what was done today.
We probably have many example of teams losing 4/5 wickets for 40 odd and going on to make 250+ in the first innings.

A couple of very important things were different in that game.

Aussie's were chasing.
The run-rate was over 7 and climbing.
The conditions were helping the bowlers far more then today.
overs remaining were few, which hardly game batsman to play themselves in and get a better idea of pitch conditions. [And Aus doesn't at the moment possess any hitter like Afridi who can tee off from the word go, Gilchrist withstanding]

Ofcourse, one cannot say that WI would have won it with dead certainity. There are exceptions, but these exceptions only prove the rule - on that day Aussie's had just about everything going against them.

Oh, and I only got to watch the last 11 overs of Aus's innings, but WI seriously need to find competant fourth and fifth bowlers, at least those who can do the containing job.

That said, go Lee! that was one hell of a shot and it was funny to see the initial reaction of the sweeper.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Beleg said:
Slow Love,

My comments [in answer to Linda I think] cannot be compared with what was done today.
We probably have many example of teams losing 4/5 wickets for 40 odd and going on to make 250+ in the first innings.

A couple of very important things were different in that game.

Aussie's were chasing.
The run-rate was over 7 and climbing.
The conditions were helping the bowlers far more then today.
overs remaining were few, which hardly game batsman to play themselves in and get a better idea of pitch conditions. [And Aus doesn't at the moment possess any hitter like Afridi who can tee off from the word go, Gilchrist withstanding]

Ofcourse, one cannot say that WI would have won it with dead certainity. There are exceptions, but these exceptions only prove the rule - on that day Aussie's had just about everything going against them.
Yeah, I appreciate that there were differences in the conditions. And I'd happily concede that today, batting first with no pressure of a target to chase, it was always going to be more likely that Australia were going to recover in this game than the other. There were a few mitigating circumstances running the other way as well though - one was that in the previous game, although the run-rate required was over 7, it was not a large target to chase overall, and the run-rate didn't have to be maintained for much more than 15 overs. In addition to that, once the fifth wicket was gone, there were two proven, experienced ODI players at the crease, Lehmann and Martyn.

The main point though was that I thought it was maybe a little harsh to dismiss as "aussie arrogance" the notion that Australia might have played themselves back into that match, even if it may have seemed unlikely.

Beleg

International Regular
The main point though was that I thought it was maybe a little harsh to dismiss as "aussie arrogance" the notion that Australia might have played themselves back into that match, even if it may have seemed unlikely.
Fair enough. :)
I guess I just didn't like the tone of some posts at that moment.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Beleg said:
Fair enough. :)
I guess I just didn't like the tone of some posts at that moment.
Heh, yeah, I didn't mean to suggest that there isn't the odd case of genuine aussie arrogance floating around these forums from time to time.