• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What would be the makeup of your ideal XI?

subshakerz

International Coach
Going all-out attack (combinations of 2-3) for the top 5, a pace all rounder in the Botham/Flintoff/Stokes mold, Gilchrist with the gloves, a leggie and 3 bowlers who all go over 90 - two swing (one of which can do reverse) and another taking heads off.

I don't want to see a single forward defensive.
I think you need at least one defensive bat/stodgy man of crisis in there.

1) 1

2) 1

3) 3

4) 4

5) 3

6) 6

7) 9

8) 13

9) 10

10) 11

11) 10
This is interesting. You batting order is a bit too conservative for me.

reyrey

U19 12th Man
Types of Bats:
Langer 1) Rock solid defensive accumulator
Hayden 2) Unorthodox risk-taking master blaster
Ponting 3) Classic dashing strokemaker with a bit 2) Unorthodox risk-taking master blaster
Martyn 3) Classic dashing strokemaker

Types of all-rounders:
M Waugh 5) Spin batting all-rounder and 3) Classic dashing strokemaker
S Waugh 6) Pace batting all-rounder and 4) Stodgy, tough man-of-crisis

Types of keepers:
Gilchrist 10) Safe keeper, regular good bat and 2) Unorthodox risk-taking master blaster

Types of pacers:
Gillespie 10) Classic new ball looping swing and bouncer bowler
McGrath 11) Classic tall miserly seam bowler
Lee 12) Reverse swinger master with loose new ball swing

Types of spinners:
Warne 13) Classic wrist spinner

This model has proven to be successful so I'll go with that.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If you had to pick between the below players, and assume they are all worldclass level, how many and in which position would you choose in your final XI? The only limitation is you can pick one all-rounder.

Types of players:

Types of Bats:
1) Rock solid defensive accumulator
2) Unorthodox risk-taking master blaster
3) Classic dashing strokemaker
4) Stodgy, tough man-of-crisis

Types of all-rounders:
5) Spin batting all-rounder
6) Pace batting all-rounder
7) Spin bowling all-rounder
8) Pace bowling all-rounder

Types of keepers:
9) Immaculate keeper, useful bat
10) Safe keeper, regular good bat

Types of pacers:
10) Classic new ball looping swing and bouncer bowler
11) Classic tall miserly seam bowler
12) Reverse swinger master with loose new ball swing

Types of spinners:
13) Classic wrist spinner
14) Classic finger spinner
15) Mystery spinner with hard to read action

Who would be in your final XI?
10 (keeper)
10 (bowler)
10 (bowler)

capt_Luffy

International Regular
1. Rock Solid Defensive Accumulator
2. Classic Dashing Strokemaker
3. Stodgy, tough man of crisis
4. Dashing Strokemaker
5. Unorthodox Risk Taking master blaster
6. Serviceable Keeper, Great Batsman batsman (not in option)
7. Pace Bowling All-rounder
8. Classic New Ball Swing and Bouncer Bowler
9. Classic Wrist Spinner
10.Classic Tall Miserly Seam Bowler
11.Classic Tall Miserly Seam Bowler
One of the bowlers should be a dependable batsman, i.e., as good as an all-rounder (like Hadlee, S Pollock,etc.), and one more to be useful with the bat (like Marshall,Akram,etc). Also, one batsman should be a useful finger spinner (like Sobers, Hammond, etc). The keeper I am talking about should be a great batsman and serviceable keeper atleast (like Sanga, Flower, de Villiers, Walcott, etc. Gilchrist extra points for being a great keep too).

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1. Part time keeper, forced to open because he does so with some success in ODIs
2. Private school kid, soft but good boy
3. Uber talented prodigy holding the side together
4. Closet racist veteran captain
5. Average bat but has played some ATVG knocks, always on the brink of being dropped
6. Keeper, mediocre bat which elevates his keeping ability in the eyes of casuals
7. No rounder, bowls nude offies but picked because you need a spinner and the best one in the country is not very good
8. Big dude bowls a ‘heavy’ ball. Can bat but hasn’t made a score in years.
9. Medium quick with a domestic violence abuse case settled out of court
10. Fast strike bowler. Averages 38 and travels at 4 rpo.
11. Great looking guy, gun fielder, solid fast bowler. Usually injured.

ataraxia

International Coach
1. Part time keeper, forced to open because he does so with some success in ODIs
5. Average bat but has played some ATVG knocks, always on the brink of being dropped
6. Keeper, mediocre bat which elevates his keeping ability in the eyes of casuals
7. No rounder, bowls nude offies but picked because you need a spinner and the best one in the country is not very good
Why have you picked 5 Scott Kuggeleijns

ataraxia

International Coach
btw I thought this was a parody of England but 3 and 11 obviously don't marry up with that. Isn't Sri Lanka either, because of 7. All the others fit perfectly with both however, especially England where they've still got 15 hours to go until 2024 hehe

capt_Luffy

International Regular
btw I thought this was a parody of England but 3 and 11 obviously don't marry up with that. Isn't Sri Lanka either, because of 7. All the others fit perfectly with both however, especially England where they've still got 15 hours to go until 2024 hehe
3 I think fits perfectly, as just think of English batting without Joe Root.... Won't be really pretty. 11 could be, idk, maybe Jofra Archer? He haven't been fit in ages.

ataraxia

International Coach
3 I think fits perfectly, as just think of English batting without Joe Root.... Won't be really pretty. 11 could be, idk, maybe Jofra Archer? He haven't been fit in ages.
I thought Root was obviously covered by #4; however, maybe it's that he doesn't fit the caveat of "closet" racist

Daemon

I did have England in mind for many of these but it’s not meant to be any team

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
Types of Bats:
Langer 1) Rock solid defensive accumulator
Hayden 2) Unorthodox risk-taking master blaster
Ponting 3) Classic dashing strokemaker with a bit 2) Unorthodox risk-taking master blaster
Martyn 3) Classic dashing strokemaker

Types of all-rounders:
M Waugh 5) Spin batting all-rounder and 3) Classic dashing strokemaker
S Waugh 6) Pace batting all-rounder and 4) Stodgy, tough man-of-crisis

Types of keepers:
Gilchrist 10) Safe keeper, regular good bat and 2) Unorthodox risk-taking master blaster

Types of pacers:
Gillespie 10) Classic new ball looping swing and bouncer bowler
McGrath 11) Classic tall miserly seam bowler
Lee 12) Reverse swinger master with loose new ball swing

Types of spinners:
Warne 13) Classic wrist spinner

This model has proven to be successful so I'll go with that.
Langer wasn't defensive. A strike rate of 54 proves this. He was maybe the least attacking of that aussie top 3 but he was still an attacking bat.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
A modern case of “stylish” batsmen being overrated in aggressiveness.
It's a bit like Compton and Barrington having very different reputations despite having virtually indentical strike rates. People get lulled into this notion that prettier equals much quicker when it's wrong. Hayden and Graeme Smith is another modern one. Hayden always had a reputation for being Aggressive with a capital A which Smith never had and their strike rates aren't much different. Actually I seem to remember Gibbs being considered the attacking one out of that South African opening pair. A look at their strike rates proves this wrong. Gibbs was actually slower than 'Stodgy man of crisis' Langer.

reyrey

U19 12th Man
Langer wasn't defensive. A strike rate of 54 proves this. He was maybe the least attacking of that aussie top 3 but he was still an attacking bat.
He was more defensive in the earlier parts of his career. His strike rate around 2000/01 which was where that line up was from was in the mid 40s.

TheJediBrah

It's a bit like Compton and Barrington having very different reputations despite having virtually indentical strike rates. People get lulled into this notion that prettier equals much quicker when it's wrong. Hayden and Graeme Smith is another modern one. Hayden always had a reputation for being Aggressive with a capital A which Smith never had and their strike rates aren't much different. Actually I seem to remember Gibbs being considered the attacking one out of that South African opening pair. A look at their strike rates proves this wrong. Gibbs was actually slower than 'Stodgy man of crisis' Langer.
I always get a bit annoyed when Hayden is described as an excessively aggressive opener. I grew up with him (as in watching him on tv) and while he would walk down the pitch and hit big balls and have an overall aggressive demeanour he left almost everything outside off-stump and young me actually found him boring at times. He barely even had a cut shot.

Langer was often outscoring him in opening partnerships in fact