• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was Dan Vettori better than the stats suggest

Jumno

State 12th Man
Started his career in 1998 all the way through to the 2015 world cup final.

Was NZ's primary strike spin bowler.

Good character and had a good career.

How good do you feel he was and was be better than the stats suggest?

shortpitched713

International Captain
Started his career in 1998 all the way through to the 2015 world cup final.

Was NZ's primary strike spin bowler.

Good character and had a good career.

How good do you feel he was and was be better than the stats suggest?
Doubt. Didn't see much evidence to prove this.

He was a good enough support stock spinner, but I think his ability with the bat was counted on more to secure his place in the side for such a long time, rather than any particular ability to run through sides on spin favoring wickets. He was a guy who could churn through overs reasonably well enough, so that the more dangerous seamers could rest up, and operate as primary wicket takers.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
No ..I mean he averaged 34 despite playing against 2000's Bangladesh and Zimbabwe
He was a better white ball spinner in my opinion

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Was the youngest ever spinner to reach 100 test wickets and had lovely loop and flight. Unfortunately had really bad back injuries and became more of a defensive stock bowler (economical) who could no longer take 4th innings wickets, but developed into the best no 8 of all time with the bat.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
This thread warms my heart. You'd never know that back in the 2000s CW was on Vettori's nuts deluxe and I was his only SMART and CORRECT hater.
we had 99 problems but a dan wasn't one

I remember as a kid basically knowing we were going to get pumped but watching just to see how many annoying runs dan would score with his stupid squirt through backward point