• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Third Place Playoff

ripper868

International Coach
Friday, 27th October 1900 GMT (21:00 Paris Local)
England v Argentina

Make up your own stats and history here as nobody is particularly invested in this match.

Good luck both teams, no pen goals please.

Molehill

International Captain
England have very much gone with a pack that represents the future and will be interesting to see Arundell on the wing again.

Decent ranking points at stake too, England would cement a solid 5th overall with a win here.

ripper868

International Coach
I like that Arundell gets his chance, think he's your #1 wing tbh. Probably will be this cycle.

ripper868

International Coach
As far as alternate strips go, the Argentina one is probably the best.

Also, seems a good turnout for this game.

ripper868

International Coach
Not sure tbh. might of been one of those backish out of the hands things as he was getting tackled.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I like that Arundell gets his chance, think he's your #1 wing tbh. Probably will be this cycle.
Had nothing to do except one poor kick.

Not been a great match despite currently being up. Playing a very similar tactic to against SA, once again failing to even try to create anything when we have field position. Getting battered in midfield too.

Not a thrilling brand tbh.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Had nothing to do except one poor kick.

Not been a great match despite currently being up. Playing a very similar tactic to against SA, once again failing to even try to create anything when we have field position. Getting battered in midfield too.

Not a thrilling brand tbh.
The match has been quite entertaining albeit lost a bit of energy since 50 minutes. Lacks the intensity and atmosphere of the meaningful matches though.

England have "held on" in all of the knock out games. Just about managed to squeak past Fiji but it's not a sustainable tactic. They definitely need a bit more incisiveness but not sure there's the talent.

ripper868

International Coach
Didn't get to watch 2nd half (or 1st half properly), so just catching highlights now, rum fuelled thoughts/observations below:

That was a huge forward pass 3 rucks before the Argies first try.

Santi Carreras with a gorgeous #10 try at start of 2nd half - poor misses by 2 front rowers who should make those once hands are on tbf.

Did Theo Dan's punch/push to back of the #15's head after the charge down try just get ignored entirely? Looked entirely unnecessary.

13mins to play, down by 6, pen goal probably the right call for Arg, but, you do wonder if a kick to corner and maul would of been better option (hindsight benefit etc)

Sanchez missing at 75 minutes denies what would of been a fun (if pointless) extra time.

Carreras being only 25 should be back in 4 years time, he's clearly a quality #10 that the Pumas can build around, add in guys like Cremer, and they'll keep being a force.

ripper868

International Coach
Just seeing the Theo Dan post try thing again. Probably the most cut and dried red card of the whole tournament. Punches the 15 in back of the head with zero reason. Probably get banned from 3-4 matches that happen tk be mid week before his next prem game.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Just seeing the Theo Dan post try thing again. Probably the most cut and dried red card of the whole tournament. Punches the 15 in back of the head with zero reason. Probably get banned from 3-4 matches that happen tk be mid week before his next prem game.
I'm sure it'll need a good 4-5 different disciplinary hearings, appeals, appeals of appeals and so on before Dan conveniently gets suspended in time for the 6N. Should've just used some plausibly deniable racist abuse and he'd be fine.

Molehill

International Captain
Punch??? It’s more palm of hand and an attempt to push him off (admittedly a bit daft).

I get the impression no one really cared and the game largely forgotten about already.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Punch??? It’s more palm of hand and an attempt to push him off (admittedly a bit daft).

I get the impression no one really cared and the game largely forgotten about already.
I think the video ref was on strike. He apparently took a second look at the first Argentina try but decided there was nothing untoward about the pass in the build up that went a good three feet forward.

Molehill

International Captain
I think the video ref was on strike. He apparently took a second look at the first Argentina try but decided there was nothing untoward about the pass in the build up that went a good three feet forward.
Yep, forward pass was a farce.

And the actual ref just gave up on scrums too.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Did Theo Dan's punch/push to back of the #15's head after the charge down try just get ignored entirely? Looked entirely unnecessary.
I did wonder if there had been a bit of naughtiness after the try but given there were no replays I just put it down to me seeing something that wasn't there.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Reading these comments, it seems that even the match officials phoned in a 3rd place playoff match