• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Molehill

International Captain
One person’s opinion of how the coverage should look like, I am sold!
He’s also missed out a key issue, no one wants to watch LIV golf shots.

Of course PGA could be better. But at least the shots they show have meaning.

Also, imagine how rubbish LIV would be if sponsors actually wanted to be associated with their product.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He’s also missed out a key issue, no one wants to watch LIV golf shots.

Of course PGA could be better. But at least the shots they show have meaning.

Also, imagine how rubbish LIV would be if sponsors actually wanted to be associated with their product.
lol

Probably should watch it before posting

LIV Singapore is sponsored by the Singapore Tourism Board, UBS, Tiger Beer, etc and today was a virtual sellout

Anyway, I hope you have stopped watching the PGAT following their decision to gift shares to players

What are they playing for?:cool:

Molehill

International Captain
lol

Probably should watch it before posting

LIV Singapore is sponsored by the Singapore Tourism Board, UBS, Tiger Beer, etc and today was a virtual sellout

Anyway, I hope you have stopped watching the PGAT following their decision to gift shares to players

What are they playing for?:cool:
And guess what? I have no idea who won the LIV event. Has Rahm won yet or can’t he be bothered?

As for what PGA Players are playing for, pretty telling in their interview how Lowry mentioned FedEx Cup points last week. It’s competitive golf with a meaning, your comparison with the players fund to LIV is farcical.

No one is watching LIV.

social

And guess what? I have no idea who won the LIV event. Has Rahm won yet or can’t he be bothered?

As for what PGA Players are playing for, pretty telling in their interview how Lowry mentioned FedEx Cup points last week. It’s competitive golf with a meaning, your comparison with the players fund to LIV is farcical.

No one is watching LIV.
Rahm didn’t win because he simply hasn’t been good enough

Unlike the PGAT, LIV has a stacked field for every event so players have to earn their victories

Btw, why are Lowry & McIlroy receiving FedEx points for a team event that isn’t strokeplay?

Sorry but that’s an exhibition and I am surprised you watched it when there’s actual competitive golf being played

It was also a terrible field so basically free money

And that gift to Rory goes alongside the $50 million in shares & the $15 million PIP presents that the PGAT has given him this year alone

Little wonder that he folds under pressure when he’s not used to earning his rewards

He needs to play on a real tour again for the sake of his game

Molehill

International Captain
Rahm didn’t win because he simply hasn’t been good enough

Unlike the PGAT, LIV has a stacked field for every event so players have to earn their victories
Funniest thing you've written. About 10 good players (not sure it's even that judged on the Masters). The rest are either over the hill (Casey, Mickelson, Westwood, Watson, Garcia, Stenson etc), the never good enough on the PGA Tour (Tringale, Gooch, Lee, Steele etc), or frankly those I've never heard of.

Rahm has already won, he's got $600m in his bank. His competitive juices have been destroyed.

It may have been a fairly average PGA event this weekend, but the size of the crowds in Texas absolutely dwarfed LIV (and that was just the 17th hole). But the key moment for me was Kohles missing the putt on 18, heartbreaking stuff. The raw emotions he was going through as he missed that opportunity. It's what competition and pressure does - it's why I watch it and not LIV. It actually means something to those who are playing it - not sure why you can't see that.

Last edited:

social

Funniest thing you've written. About 10 good players (not sure it's even that judged on the Masters). The rest are either over the hill (Casey, Mickelson, Westwood, Watson, Garcia, Stenson etc), the never good enough on the PGA Tour (Tringale, Gooch, Lee, Steele etc), or frankly those I've never heard of.

Rahm has already won, he's got $600m in his bank. His competitive juices have been destroyed.

It may have been a fairly average PGA event this weekend, but the size of the crowds in Texas absolutely dwarfed LIV (and that was just the 17th hole). But the key moment for me was Kohles missing the putt on 18, heartbreaking stuff. The raw emotions he was going through as he missed that opportunity. It's what competition and pressure does - it's why I watch it and not LIV. It actually means something to those who are playing it - not sure why you can't see that.
Jordan Spieth missed the cut in the same event and it literally means nothing to him as he’s just been gifted $30 million in shares

Here’s another example of how fkd up world golf is atm

Min Woo Lee is a very exciting young player ranked 34 in the world BUT he can’t get a start in elevated events partly because invitations are being given to 2 PGAT directors for every event

It’s a meritocracy I tells ya

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like Koepka won the latest LIV event...after the Masters no-show, he should be very motivated to contend at Valhalla, plus he is defending of course...assuming Scheffler's baby situation is resolved by then, should be a terrific fight between those two...

social

Talor Gooch has received a special invitation to the PGA which the exhibition argument to bed as it’s based solely on his LIV play

social

Just like golf & really don’t understand how anyone can be a booster for any particular tour when the same criticism can be directed at all of them

Might as well argue that “IPL is proper cricket and I will never, ever watch The Hundred because it’s got 20 less balls so it’s only an exhibition”

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
Talor Gooch has received a special invitation to the PGA which the exhibition argument to bed as it’s based solely on his LIV play
Thank the lord we won't have an asterisk against this Major. I assume he must be the favourite for it now he's in.

Just like golf & really don’t understand how anyone can be a booster for any particular tour when the same criticism can be directed at all of them
It is because I like golf and seeing the best play against each other that I have such a strong dislike for LIV, the way it's poached players and its format. The only reason Jon Rahm is playing LIV is because of money, and it's clear it's not made him happy.

Might as well argue that “IPL is proper cricket and I will never, ever watch The Hundred because it’s got 20 less balls so it’s only an exhibition”
That's not the same argument at all and you know it. The Hundred isn't in direct competition with the IPL, it's played at a different time. I think it's also fair to say that because of its format, no one really takes it seriously either.

Also worth pointing out with LIV, with the exception of Rahm, they've never really attracted golfers I enjoy watching. Koepka and DJ are hardly personalities, Smith is clearly not the sharpest tool, Mickelson is thoroughly dislikable. The likes of Poulter and Westwood have ruined their legacies. Ironically, the only one who seems to have become a more interesting and likable person was one who no one liked previously (DeChambeau).

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
Looks like Koepka won the latest LIV event...after the Masters no-show, he should be very motivated to contend at Valhalla, plus he is defending of course...assuming Scheffler's baby situation is resolved by then, should be a terrific fight between those two...
Given McIlroy seems to be finding some form (he carried Lowry somewhat in New Orleans) and the fact he won the last time a Major was played at Valhalla, I think he should be in the mix this time.

But of course they've all got Talor Gooch to beat this time. Amazing how if someone whinges enough they get what they want, despite not deserving it. Will be funny to see him bomb out again.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Given McIlroy seems to be finding some form (he carried Lowry somewhat in New Orleans) and the fact he won the last time a Major was played at Valhalla, I think he should be in the mix this time.

But of course they've all got Talor Gooch to beat this time. Amazing how if someone whinges enough they get what they want, despite not deserving it. Will be funny to see him bomb out again.
Yeah that was a good Sunday battle between McIlroy, Mickelson and Fowler and in almost complete darkness at the end. Would be good to see Rory in the mix again.

social

Thank the lord we won't have an asterisk against this Major. I assume he must be the favourite for it now he's in.

It is because I like golf and seeing the best play against each other that I have such a strong dislike for LIV, the way it's poached players and its format. The only reason Jon Rahm is playing LIV is because of money, and it's clear it's not made him happy.

That's not the same argument at all and you know it. The Hundred isn't in direct competition with the IPL, it's played at a different time. I think it's also fair to say that because of its format, no one really takes it seriously either.

Also worth pointing out with LIV, with the exception of Rahm, they've never really attracted golfers I enjoy watching. Koepka and DJ are hardly personalities, Smith is clearly not the sharpest tool, Mickelson is thoroughly dislikable. The likes of Poulter and Westwood have ruined their legacies. Ironically, the only one who seems to have become a more interesting and likable person was one who no one liked previously (DeChambeau).
The world’s best have only ever played against each other maybe 10-15 times a year and the general public isn’t missing much as they only watch the majors anyway

The PGAT is literally built on money and is the only reason the majority of the world’s best played on that tour

Another tour offers more & some have left. Too bad & evidence that it had foundations of sand anyway

Absolute nonsense to say that Westy and Poulter have destroyed decades of legacy

Has Ronaldo destroyed his legacy by playing in Saudi?

Has Messi destroyed his legacy by playing in Miami while being a Saudi Tourism Ambassador?

Of course not

And finally, nobody watches golf for the personalities as they’re virtually all boring drones

Molehill

International Captain
Absolute nonsense to say that Westy and Poulter have destroyed decades of legacy
You don't live in the UK, you don't talk to UK golfers. No one here has any interest in LIV and when you do talk about it it's an almost unanimous position against it. If the biggest tournaments are in Aus/Singapore, do you really expect those in Europe to stream it in the middle of the night? No one is watching...

Westwood and Poulter talked utter ****e when they joined LIV, if they'd just been honest and said it was for the money they might have held on to some respect. But they didn't. People switched off from them and now they've have become forgotten figures.

I see the PGA (not Tour) invited a number of LIV golfers to their Major, not just Gooch. Although surprisingly, Oosthuizen turned them down. It's often been said he doesn't care much for golf, would rather just be hanging out on his farm. LIV really must've been a godsend for him.

social

You don't live in the UK, you don't talk to UK golfers. No one here has any interest in LIV and when you do talk about it it's an almost unanimous position against it. If the biggest tournaments are in Aus/Singapore, do you really expect those in Europe to stream it in the middle of the night? No one is watching...

Westwood and Poulter talked utter ****e when they joined LIV, if they'd just been honest and said it was for the money they might have held on to some respect. But they didn't. People switched off from them and now they've have become forgotten figures.

I see the PGA (not Tour) invited a number of LIV golfers to their Major, not just Gooch. Although surprisingly, Oosthuizen turned them down. It's often been said he doesn't care much for golf, would rather just be hanging out on his farm. LIV really must've been a godsend for him.
Ratings for the PGAT continue to tank so no surprise that the majors are taking a more pragmatic view as they answer to different stakeholders

Molehill

International Captain
Ratings for the PGAT continue to tank so no surprise that the majors are taking a more pragmatic view as they answer to different stakeholders
All they've done is invite the guys who would likely have been there anyway. It also has a field size almost twice the size of the Masters so more leeway.

Surprised to see Gooch not even bother to try and qualify for the US Open, he really doesn't do himself any favours.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
All they've done is invite the guys who would likely have been there anyway. It also has a field size almost twice the size of the Masters so more leeway.

Surprised to see Gooch not even bother to try and qualify for the US Open, he really doesn't do himself any favours.
Well, if/when he wins the PGA, he doesn't need to qualify for the US Open, does he?