• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pat Cummins

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
The English language works the same for all. It's just an individual's lack of comprehension that causes the confusion.
To myself, the truth of the second sentence rules out the claim in the first. I think most linguists would agree that for many and varied reasons (that can, but don't always amount to a lack of comprehension) the English language doesn't work the same for all. As you correctly say, this causes much confusion at times.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Can’t remember who said it think it was Healy or Tubby but they said it best a few days ago. His a good captain when it all goes well but when his under pressure and the other side is going good that’s when some his poor tactics and mistakes start to show. I honestly think Stokes is a better captain than him with a lesser side but both have had their issues this ashes

Think stokes declaration calls and critics have been a bit harsh because test 1 it definitively looked like the right call at the time with them needing 2 wickets and like 60 odd runs to play with most teams win that situation 90% of the time . The last test I thought the declaration did come late but the forecast were all over the place on the weekend a lot of people thought we would get a decent amount of overs still

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
"Definitively looked the right call at the time" is an odd way to describe a decision that was near-universally pilloried on here in the hours after it actually happened.
There were dodgy forecasts for last day. That might be a factor in early declaration.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
"Definitively looked the right call at the time" is an odd way to describe a decision that was near-universally pilloried on here in the hours after it actually happened.
Wouldn't say it was the right call but I wouldn't say it was a bad call. Had they taken a couple of wickets at the back end of day one, it would have been a masterstroke. But as the poster says, when Lyon came to the crease in the fourth innings England were massive favourites. England lost the game there not because of a declaration.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wouldn't say it was the right call but I wouldn't say it was a bad call. Had they taken a couple of wickets at the back end of day one, it would have been a masterstroke. But as the poster says, when Lyon came to the crease in the fourth innings England were massive favourites. England lost the game there not because of a declaration.
It was one of the worst calls I've seen in the history of cricket and I said so at the time.

If it 'worked' I'd still be saying it so I can't be too hard on those sticking to their guns in the opposite direction, but you are wrong and you should feel bad.

I'm pretty sure first innings declarations should be illegal unless you're willing to automatically forfeit your second innings.

Molehill

International Captain
And if they hadn't declared Lyon comes to the crease with maybe another 50 needed. It was a **** declaration, we all know it (and said so at the time) and it undoubtedly had a huge impact on the result of that Test. No other team would give away their best batsman's wicket for free when he's on 118 and seeing it like a football. They ****ed up, they'll never admit it (although Root has suggested as much) but that was where Bazball needed to apply a little common sense (along with the first innings batting at Lord's).

A24829793

Cricket Spectator
Had a shocker test. I think it's time he took a break from captaincy and focus on bowling.

His bowling generally has peaked in terms of form. He is 30 years old and not a very young man anymore in this game. He started very young. His pace has dropped, just medium pace this test, and he is over worked with little support.

He also had shocker tests in India so it's starting to go downhill
Australian cricket needs Pat Cummins as their bowler. they have many batters for the role of captaincy.

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
I agree Cummins needs to drop the captain thing and just put all his mind into bowling.

Cummins is still best bowler in the world and mostly still bowling well.

Smith should be the Australian captain or head.

Don't get me wrong Cummins is good Captain.

Last edited: