• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
England squad: Ben Stokes (c); Jonny Bairstow (wk), Ollie Pope (vc/wk); Harry Brook, Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Dan Lawrence, Joe Root; James Anderson, Stuart Broad, Matthew Potts, Ollie Robinson, Josh Tongue, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood; Moeen Ali, Rehan Ahmed
Australia squad: Pat Cummins (c); Alex Carey (wk), Jimmy Peirson (wk); Marcus Harris, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Matt Renshaw, Steve Smith (vc), David Warner; Cameron Green, Mitchell Marsh; Scott Boland, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Starc; Nathan Lyon, Todd Murphy

Last edited:

Lefty

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It’s surprising England have not named a second spin bowler as Ali may not be able recover in time from his finger injury.

England may end up selecting four pace bowlers plus Stokes and rely on Root to bowl spin.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It’s surprising England have not named a second spin bowler as Ali may not be able recover in time from his finger injury.

England may end up selecting four pace bowlers plus Stokes and rely on Root to bowl spin.
Mo wasn’t in the original squad (I don’t think) and got added when Leach was ruled out

Pretty sure that they can name replacements whenever

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I hope they bowl the **** out of Root.

ashley bach

International Captain
Australia ❤❤ Lords.

England need to do something tactically different here because go 2-0 down and it's basically goodbye to their Ashes campaign.

Molehill

International Captain
Australia ❤❤ Lords.

England need to do something tactically different here because go 2-0 down and it's basically goodbye to their Ashes campaign.
I think times have changed a little. Yes they won in 2015, but lost in 2009 and 2013 and got saved by rain in 2019. Recently, Edgbaston has turned into a happier hunting ground.

I don't think England need to do much different, not like they weren't competitive despite making some daft mistakes.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Historical precedence means next to squat really. The fact that Australia have done well at Lord's is mostly irrelevant to these two sides. I remember Imran Khan pointing out that no team had won a World Cup at home before the final in 2011 and used this fact to justify calling Sri Lanka favourites. Since then every WC has been won* by the home side.

Spark

Global Moderator
Clarke did it once in Test in India, declared nine down on Day 1.

We lost by an innings, and then people forgot to do their homework.

Edit: though it did lead to a certain Steve Smith getting a second shot at Test cricket. He made 90 odd in the next game, but I can't quite recall how he his career went after that...

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
I think times have changed a little. Yes they won in 2015, but lost in 2009 and 2013 and got saved by rain in 2019. Recently, Edgbaston has turned into a happier hunting ground.
Ironically just as ECB switched the 1st Ashes Test to Edgbaston because they always went 1-0 down at Lords...

Molehill

International Captain
As a stats man, out of curiosity have you ever recalled a 1st day declaration in test cricket before? (excluding minnows of course)
Pretty certain I heard that this was the first time it had ever happened in an Ashes Test.

If we'd been 9 down with just Broad and Jimmy left, I doubt anyone would've questioned it.

CartyDurham

International Vice-Captain
I hope people are aware that the term Bazball is a media driven concept which McCullum cannot stand

it’s certainly got the interest of fans who don’t support England

a real ear worm