• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's - Aug 12-16 2021

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
In the post-match presentation both Kohli and KL alluded to a specific incident that got the India team fired up. Does anyone know what it was?
My money's on Robinson's gobbiness being involved. It may be the shoulder barges by Robinson and Anderson in the previous test.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I mean there could be some who would argue that the Indian spin quartet of 60s/70s was a better attack.
Only in certain conditions, and it's not as if the current side doesn't have some very fine spinners available in those circumstances. I suspect that those people look at India's wins in Caribbean and England in 1971 but forget how poor the WI bowling was ('transitional' is the euphemism) and draw too big a conclusion from the England tour where the first two matches were curtailed by rain and the decider was played on an Oval track that absolutely suited their attack. And it's not as if they were unbeatable even at home. Off the top of my head, they only narrowly beat a depleted England side in 1972/73 and were heavily beaten by England in 1976/77. I think they also lost at home to WI in 1974/75, against a side with lots of famous names but most of them playing their first full test series.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd go as far saying that it's not clear that any of the spin quartet were better than either of Ashwin or Jadeja, before you go adding the greater strength provided by the pace unit.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'd go as far saying that it's not clear that any of the spin quartet were better than either of Ashwin or Jadeja, before you go adding the greater strength provided by the pace unit.
Ashwin's off-spin is probably superior to Venkat or Prasanna. But Bedi's SLA probably superior to Jadeja, and the the current side don't have a wrist-spinner like Chandra.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year

No only does hardly anyone seem to employ what used to be basic bowling skills, but hardly anyone appears to remember either.
I agree with this. However, I dispute (and happy to be proven wrong as only been watching since 1997 and don't watch full days of Test cricket that often) that the round the wicket bodyline bowling followed by the round the wicket off-cutter has been employed previously.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
‘The two greats of the game have a famed rivalry that dates back to 2014. Anderson had the better of Kohli during the latter’s first trip to England. Kohli could only muster 135 runs across 10 innings and was troubled by the medium-pacer throughout.’

Hahahaha, the shade.

shashy

School Boy/Girl Captain
My money's on Robinson's gobbiness being involved. It may be the shoulder barges by Robinson and Anderson in the previous test.
Anderson shoulder barged someone? I must have missed that. Well if it's that's the case then surely he can't whine about having to face the short-pitched stuff

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Ashwin's off-spin is probably superior to Venkat or Prasanna. But Bedi's SLA probably superior to Jadeja, and the the current side don't have a wrist-spinner like Chandra.
Doesn’t make a difference though. Ashwin and Jadeja are just as (if not more) potent at home.
They’re needed less away (Ashwin a bit more than Jadeja) because the pace attack is so good - it’s without a doubt better than the spin attack of its time.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Sky cricket have redesigned their logo to read Sky Hundred for the duration of The Hundred, even tho they're broadcasting a very important and high profile Test series too.

Keep advertising the 100 during the game whenever theh get the chance to as well. It's terrible
Rather than showing there was 16.4 overs left of the day's play.

They changed it to 100 balls left.

Shameful plug.