• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match #10 — Australia Vs South Africa Oct 12th, Lucknow

Molehill

International Captain
I dislike the idea of Marsh opening because it amplifies his biggest weakness which is corridor bowling with movement thus reducing his optimum output.

Has Wade retired from ODIs? He would actually be a better keeper option to both Inglis and Carey

Cummins does not hold a place in ODIs especially in the subcontinent

Stoinis is not an international cricketer
Wade is about to turn 36, why are all the alternatives in their mid 30's? Surely you need to give younger guys a run now.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sometimes players dont play well and sometimes players are not as good in one format as they are in others. Australia have these main issues IMO. Like India, and this was something pointed out many months ago here in CW, they have a problem of a lot of batsmen who are great 1-3, and a lot of fast bowlers who are great with the new ball. But ODI cricket needs skillsets beyond this. And they suffer there. The injury to Agar was very unfortunate as I do think Zampa, Agar and Maxwell would make a very good spin trio for LO cricket in India. But there are bigger issues like being forced to play Cummins, Smith and Marnus not being as good as people may think in this format and the decline of Warner.

I always found it funny that a test #3 would bat #4 in ODIs while the test #4 bats #3.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sometimes players dont play well and sometimes players are not as good in one format as they are in others. Australia have these main issues IMO. Like India, and this was something pointed out many months ago here in CW, they have a problem of a lot of batsmen who are great 1-3, and a lot of fast bowlers who are great with the new ball. But ODI cricket needs skillsets beyond this. And they suffer there. The injury to Agar was very unfortunate as I do think Zampa, Agar and Maxwell would make a very good spin trio for LO cricket in India. But there are bigger issues like being forced to play Cummins, Smith and Marnus not being as good as people may think in this format and the decline of Warner.

I always found it funny that a test #3 would bat #4 in ODIs while the test #4 bats #3.
India’s spin attack is Ashwin, Jadeja and Kuldeep

India (and others) picked their 3 best spinners

Australia hasn’t picked anyone in our top 5

Was going to say 10 but 5 is bad enough

Shady Slim

International Coach
We deprive ourselves of balance with the fixation on Stoin. Why can't the selectors see he's junk? I don't even think he's domestic standard so what's he even doing there? His continued selection has filled him up with an unentitled sense of self belief when he's just lucky. Get sick of seeing him balance his helmet on his fat bonce walking back to the pavilion having made 4. And that dropped catch ... just get lost.

My word the fielding - and as a consequence the captaincy. Cummins is a bad choice, he's low energy. Whatever part he played in shivving Langer and placing the bloodied robe around the Ranga betrays an attitude imo. If what I'm reading about the current regime is true then the culture of slack is Cummins' choice. I think he should be dropped and throw the captaincy to Smith. Like a few others here I was worried when Warner took a catch and the low key reaction was pretty unsettling. Even before that there was a telling sign with Inglis' reaction to his own mistakes.
big agree on that stoinis thing but imho the captain if not cummins should be head. smith always was and always will be a bad captain. horribly unadaptable, and on the record as wrecking his mind too. head is a much better tactician, and has shown the armband doesn't put him on the DSM-5

Molehill

International Captain
India’s spin attack is Ashwin, Jadeja and Kuldeep

India (and others) picked their 3 best spinners

Australia hasn’t picked anyone in our top 5

Was going to say 10 but 5 is bad enough
Who are the 5 better spin options?

Chin Music

State 12th Man
I don't know how much Aussie fans have discussed this but are Labu and Smith really a good choice for you guys in ODIs? Prior to smacking some runs against SA in the warm up series, the former had little pedigree in limited overs cricket. Him and Smith together just gives me England 2013 vibes with Trott and Cook in the same team. I know that both aren't as slow as those two, but are any of the leading teams really quite so steady eddies as those?

the big bambino

International Captain
big agree on that stoinis thing but imho the captain if not cummins should be head. smith always was and always will be a bad captain. horribly unadaptable, and on the record as wrecking his mind too. head is a much better tactician, and has shown the armband doesn't put him on the DSM-5
Agree with Travis as the odi captain. I just said Smith if the change was made now.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I don't know how much Aussie fans have discussed this but are Labu and Smith really a good choice for you guys in ODIs? Prior to smacking some runs against SA in the warm up series, the former had little pedigree in limited overs cricket. Him and Smith together just gives me England 2013 vibes with Trott and Cook in the same team. I know that both aren't as slow as those two, but are any of the leading teams really quite so steady eddies as those?
Until Head is fit, I'd move Marsh down the order and open with either Smith or Labuschagne.

They need to play the roles that Root and Malan play for England. Look to bat plenty of the innings and get to as close to a run a ball in doing so.

Both are class players and are capable of playing the role. This would allow the stroke makers to perform their role.

Marsh just looks so out of nick at the top of order that something has to change. It's never ideal making such changes in a WC but the Aussies are a mess and need to try something different.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Until Head is fit, I'd move Marsh down the order and open with either Smith or Labuschagne.

They need to play the roles that Root and Malan play for England. Look to bat plenty of the innings and get to as close to a run a ball in doing so.

Both are class players and are capable of playing the role. This would allow the stroke makers to perform their role.

Marsh just looks so out of nick at the top of order that something has to change. It's never ideal making such changes in a WC but the Aussies are a mess and need to try something different.
I just don't think Labu should be anywhere near international white ball

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Why would you group Smith with Labuschagne though ? Smith has been playing for over a decade , averages over 50 in his current position in nearly 100 knocks and is a WC winner, Labuschagne is nowhere near as decorated. Leave the guy out of this conversation he's No.3 whoever is available for Australia lol.

Gob

International Coach
Yes trott and cook made 62 ball tons

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Why would you group Smith with Labuschagne though ? Smith has been playing for over a decade , averages over 50 in his current position in nearly 100 knocks and is a WC winner, Labuschagne is nowhere near as decorated. Leave the guy out of this conversation he's No.3 whoever is available for Australia lol.
I meant as a combo. Smith of course should be in the side, but both together and their batting looks too one dimensional to me. Surely they can have someone with more gears instead?

Molehill

International Captain
Lyon, Murphy, Kuhnemann, Swepson, Holland, Rocchiccioli, etc

Zampa and Agar are barely fc cricketers anymore while Maxwell is a batsman
So why have none of them played ODI's recently/at all? I don't actually buy that they're better anyway, just your opinion.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I just don't think Labu should be anywhere near international white ball
He wouldn't be in the team but for Head's injury but I'd have him in the squad.

I'd be lying if I said I had a massively in depth knowledge of the Aussie 50 over domestic scene but who are the other options.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I meant as a combo. Smith of course should be in the side, but both together and their batting looks too one dimensional to me. Surely they can have someone with more gears instead?
I don't think so, problem with Australia is they are lacking the basics imo. Fielding and catching has been very ordinary, batsman are getting starts but not kicking on ..Maybe it's a good thing that every match from now on is a do or die for Australia, they play pressure games better than most.

WICFan

U19 Captain
Wade is about to turn 36, why are all the alternatives in their mid 30's? Surely you need to give younger guys a run now.
Ben McDermott can bat up the order, not sure how good he is behind the stumps. Has played a few ODI's.

Daniel Hughes should've played some ODI's by now, although he's 34, but might have been an option for now anyway.

Last edited:

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Is it fair to say that the Asian teams have had a bit of a nudge ahead of the rest of the world in terms of preparation for 50 over cricket as they had the Asia cup alongside the bilateral series that others may have played? So the Asian sides might just have a competitive edge as well as the Aussies having had a pretty action packed last 6 months or so in other forms of the game.