• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

CartyDurham

International Vice-Captain
I've seen lot of posts on here trying to define what is an all time great, but I don't think I've seen Merv's name mentioned as an ATG.

ATG character/personality though
He is to me. Own personal opinion. I like to go from the usual.

he initimidated England completely

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Declared 1st innings & lost test match

Bangladesh in Nz declared 595/8 lost vs Nz✍

Eng 393/8 in eng declared lost vs Aus last week✍

Declaring in the first innings of a Test and losing
TeamScoreOppositionMarginGroundSeasonScorecard
Pakistan387/9dv England5 wicketsLahore1961/62Test 512
West Indies526/7dv England7 wicketsPort of Spain1967/68Test 635
India306/6dv West Indies10 wicketsKingston1975/76Test 776
Australia401/9dv England18 runsLeeds1981Test 905
South Africa248/8dv England2 wicketsCenturion1999/00Test 1483
Zimbabwe422/9dv India7 wicketsDelhi2000/01Test 1515
West Indies395/9dv England7 wicketsManchester2004Test 1711
South Africa451/9dv Australia8 wicketsSydney2005/06Test 1780
England551/6dv Australia6 wickets

Victor Ian

International Coach

Give us declared 1ts innings and won.

edit... I was thinking this is for declared 1st day, rather than innings. I wanted games won when declaring on the first day.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

England also declared in the 1st innings when we beat them in Wellington earlier this year

Shri

Mr. Glass
“Then the other bloke, he’s a forgettable cricketer.
“A fast bowler that is bowling 124 (kph) nude nuts and he’s got a mouth from the south.”
Ian Healy asked: “Who, Ollie Robinson?”
Hayden continued: “Someone like him, you can just go, ‘Brother, I’m coming at ya’.

But Ponting, who commentated on the thrilling clash for Sky Sports, took aim at Robinson after the Test.
"As I said after Ollie Robinson said what he said, this England cricket team hasn't played against Australia and they'll find out pretty quickly what playing Ashes cricket and playing against a good Australian cricket team is all about," Ponting told the ICC Review podcast.
"And if Ollie Robinson hasn't learned that already after last week, then he's a slow learner.
"Some of the things he had to say – I mean he even brought my name into it, which I felt was a little bit unusual, but for me it's water off a duck's back.
"If he is sitting back thinking about me, then no wonder he bowled like the way that he did in that game, if he's worried about what I did 15 years ago.
"He'll learn pretty quickly that if you're going to talk to Australian cricketers in an Ashes series, then you want to be able to back it up with your skills."

Molehill

International Captain
It seems Robinson has managed to wind up the old Aussies more than the current ones.

Also worth remembering that he had better match figures than any Aussie seamer too, so his skills are kind of backing him up.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
“A fast bowler that is bowling 124 (kph) nude nuts and he’s got a mouth from the south.”
Hayden continued: “Someone like him, you can just go, ‘Brother, I’m coming at ya’.

But Ponting, who commentated on the thrilling clash for Sky Sports, took aim at Robinson after the Test.
"As I said after Ollie Robinson said what he said, this England cricket team hasn't played against Australia and they'll find out pretty quickly what playing Ashes cricket and playing against a good Australian cricket team is all about," Ponting told the ICC Review podcast.
"And if Ollie Robinson hasn't learned that already after last week, then he's a slow learner.
"Some of the things he had to say – I mean he even brought my name into it, which I felt was a little bit unusual, but for me it's water off a duck's back.
"If he is sitting back thinking about me, then no wonder he bowled like the way that he did in that game, if he's worried about what I did 15 years ago.
"He'll learn pretty quickly that if you're going to talk to Australian cricketers in an Ashes series, then you want to be able to back it up with your skills."
Robinson has consistently trolled Australia by looking exactly like the sort of player they could make fun of while simultaneously actually having a great record against Australia even despite his team losing all the time.

If anything the record shows England should select a lot more absolute pricks who bowl at half-rat power like Robinson and less speculative Australian-style 'proper' fast bowlers.

This of course won't stop them lol'ing at Robinson when they win because most Australian fans and players are dumb and annoying. Their only saving grace is that England's fans and players are even dumber and even more annoying ever since Stokes took over the captaincy.

I'm pretty sure the Ashes should be illegal. Can both teams lose?

Last edited:

Preed

U19 12th Man
Can’t believe that Jacks has been put on standby for Ali if his finger had not healed.One trundler who can bat for another what hasDawson done to not be considered.A better bowler than both and he is no slouch with the bat.Stokes winning again with his slogger theory

Shri

Mr. Glass
Robinson has consistently trolled Australia by looking exactly like the sort of player they could make fun of while simultaneously actually having a great record against Australia even despite his team losing all the time.

If anything the record shows England should select a lot more absolute pricks who bowl at half-rat power like Robinson and less speculative Australian-style 'proper' fast bowlers.

This of course won't stop them lol'ing at Robinson when they win because most Australian fans and players are dumb and annoying. Their only saving grace is that England's fans and players are even dumber and even more annoying ever since Stokes took over the captaincy.

mate have a lie down

peterhrt

U19 Cricketer
edit... I was thinking this is for declared 1st day, rather than innings. I wanted games won when declaring on the first day.
There have been five first-day declarations in Tests. No wins resulted.

1949. England v New Zealand at Lord's. 3-day match. England 313-9. Next man in was Eric Hollies (as in Hollies Stand) who recorded more wickets than runs in both Test and first-class cricket. NZ 20-0 in remaining 15 minutes. Declaration was illegal as experimental law allowing declarations on first day of 3-day matches did not apply to this series. Match drawn.

England v Pakistan at Lord's. Pakistan declared on 130-9. England 42-1 at close. Whole match played in poor weather. Drawn.

India v Australia at Hyderabad. Australia declared on 237-9 with numbers 10 and 11 at the crease. India 5-0 in the remaining 3 overs. Lost by an innings.

Australia v South Africa at Adelaide. Day/night match. South Africa 259-9, captain Faf du Plessis 118*, Shamsi 18*. Australia had 12 overs, during which they made 14-0. Lost by 7 wickets. This was another situation where the batsmen were scoring freely (39 run partnership from 5.5 overs).

2023. England v Australia at Edgbaston. England 393-8. Root 118* and Robinson 17* had added 43 in 7.2 overs. Australia 14-0 from 4 overs. Lost by 2 wickets.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

nobodies stopping you from ****ing off and ignoring it mate.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain

I like Ponting but he's talking bollocks about Robinson.

He's had an outstanding start to his test career and performed decently in the first test, so I'd say he backed up his talking with his skills.

I'm not Robinsons biggest fan with his sending Khawaja off like he did and he probably is a bit of a knobhead, but he is allowed to say stuff in the media.

Also the way Ponting is talking, you'd think the Aussies hammered us. This was a game we should have won so instead of worrying about Robinson, he'd be better off concentrating on some of his sides problems.