• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India v New Zealand (WTC FINAL, replay-- NAHHHHH) at the Ring of Fire, Dubai, 10/31 Sunday (N)-- Match #28, Group 2

pomnotenglish

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
My game summary

NZ - Congrats to my fav team for coming back with a strong win.
P.S. - Allowing Southee to bowl 20th was again a suicidal move, you got lucky yesterday. Won't get lucky every day. Real pigheadedness in insisting that he is a death bowler.

India - All IPL play made Jack India a dull team. Players are tired, listless and clueless in general.

P.S. Although, t20 is not real cricket in my eyes, nevertheless since it is here and this is an ICC event, in the future, avoiding playing random money-minting tournaments till the last min before an ICC event will help your cause.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
But they're not the All Blacks of world cricket because their pinnacle is not internationals. Most of them would rather win an IPL and be picked up on a plum deal than win a world tournament. And I'm not criticising that, one bit. But yeah, India might have the talent but they're never going to dominate while all that talent sets itself for a six-week domestic period every year.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The squad would have trained together for like 1-2 days before the first game.

Not how you win a tournament.

Daemon

Truth, if I had the skills I'd be range hitting all day trying to get an IPL payday. **** the country, I want to be rich.

Unfortunately as it stands I have neither the skills nor the money.

Burgey

Because I'd be the same
Understandable. They're obviously povvos without the IPL and not at all wealthy from representing their country.

Not a shred of honour or decency among them. Or the Australian blokes who made themselves unavailable for the WI and Bangladesh tours but played IPL.

Or you. Though to your credit at least you're up front about it.

thierry henry

International Coach
But they're not the All Blacks of world cricket because their pinnacle is not internationals. Most of them would rather win an IPL and be picked up on a plum deal than win a world tournament. And I'm not criticising that, one bit. But yeah, India might have the talent but they're never going to dominate while all that talent sets itself for a six-week domestic period every year.
This is all true, but surely the other big part is they’re just not that good?

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah I've thought about it, and having worked real jobs the mid-range NZC contract is a lot of money and I'd be quite happy earning 6 figures for 10 years. In another world where I had actual sporting talent I'd play IPL sure, but sporting money worldwide is completely out of control tbh.

It's not like the bodily harm argument holds much weight either. Lots of jobs are high risk and pay far less (some probably close to minimum wage I suspect, especially in the developing world). If I spill acid on myself tomorrow I won't get to cry into millions of dollars.

I doubt the Indian players value club above country though. That attitude tends to get purged.

The simple explanation for the run of losses is India aren't playing very well or some of their players aren't good at T20 (I haven't watched a ball of the tournament). This is international cricket - the gap between the best and worst player of the top sides in this tournament is narrower than it is in any domestic tournament, and that opens the field to all sorts of results.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Ahh the old cos the IPL is the best league all Indian players in it are of course amazing in all conditions in the format.

Nothing to do with the help of overseas players by any chance?

Then they exclude an entire nation from even playing in it and come undone actually facing those players.

Not doubting Indias prowess in the format. Surprised at how lacking they've been

But maybe arrogance in their domestic stuff has been their downfall so far. Thinking as already been playing and doing well in conditions they'd carry that on

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
My theory is with the success of the IPL, India have made themselves the England Football Team of the cricketing world. Last T20 WC title in 2007, so if my calculations are correct you should be good to next make the semi finals some time around 2059.
Except that India made the world T20 final in 2014, and the regularly make the semis.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its hilarious to see the takes that come out of 2 losses for India in T20Is. I mean, the simplest fact is we have struggled in LO cricket post 2011 mainly because our bowlers do not bat and our batters do not bowl. Even those who can bat ( © Ashwin) are not power hitters suited to batting 6-9 in the batting order. We did well in the late 90s and 00s coz we had good batsmen who could bowl and good bowlers who could bat. Zaheer, Harbhajan, Irfan, even Balaji cud smack them. And we had Sachin, Sehwag, Yuvraj, Raina, Ganguly who could all bowl well enough for 50 overs cricket and later 20 overs cricket. Our success in LO cricket has been inspite of this limitation. It just comes back to bite us in the big games coz batsmen cant play the way they usually do in a big game when they know the tail starts at 7 or 8. And of course, with this being a rather imbalanced side, the toss becomes that much more crucial and we lost both.

Shri

Mr. Glass
after the t20 wc is over, the limited over setup needs new direction. kohli shouldn't lead anymore even if he wants to stay on until the 50 over wc

youngish side is needed with a focus on power hitting like how eng plays limited overs cricket

Shaw
Jaiswal
Gaikwad
Samson/Kishan
Shreyas
Pant
Jaddu
Lord
Chahar
Bishnoi
Bumrah

Ashwin, Siraj, Sundar as bowling backup

Venki, sky, and oldies (rohit, kohli, rahul etc) as batting backup

you cannot have the current system where the seniors lie about intent but play defensively to keep their spots while youngsters are brought in to play attacking cricket, only to be scapegoated and dropped by a two faced captain who is a disgraceful sack of ****

oldies can have their spots back if they find form again and play some shots once more

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
This is all true, but surely the other big part is they’re just not that good?
Definitely rings true at the moment. However, what I'm saying is if they set themselves as if playing for India was the pinnacle, they'd be tough to beat. But in this tournament, you've got 11+ guys who look jaded and as if they could not give a **** if they bounce out in pool play. Contrasted with NZ - every single guy in our set-up, their pinnacle is winning tournaments and series' for us. Even the IPL players. The ones who favour franchise cricket (and no criticism) they fade out of the national set-up fairly quickly.