• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Confidence Player - What the hell is that supposed to mean?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So I was watching some highlights today afternoon as its a holiday and a commentator mentioned how one player was a confidence player and the other commentator said - yeah, well, most are.

It got me thinking. Is there a player who actually does not play better when they are confident? :laugh:

And in essence, that is what a "confidence player"' means, right? They play better when they are feeling more confident.

I guess in general, they use it to describe players who need to be confident to be anywhere close to their best while there maybe a few others who dont vary so much from their mean even when they are not at their most confident self, but its such a misnomer even in that context, lol.

reyrey

U19 12th Man
It got me thinking. Is there a player who actually does not play better when they are confident? :laugh:
Maybe it's possible to be too confident. An example might be Joe Root and him playing high risk shots that cause him get out.

He'd probably be a better if he was less confident and put those risky shots away.

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I see the contrast of this between our batsmen and say the Aussies, they come in hungry looking for singles to turn the score over, while ours are confidently accumulating dot balls.

I say from ball one that a batsman should look hungry to score. Mindset.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah but its the corollary that interests me - is there any player whose output may actually go down when they are feeling confident? :laugh:

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but its the corollary that interests me - is there any player whose output may actually go down when they are feeling confident? :laugh:
There's a guy who debuted in early 2000s for us, Leon Garrick (Him and Gayle made over 400 runs opening the batting for Jamaica in that season), called up to make his test debut...absolutely confident... turned out the first ball he faced he timed them too well into the hands of point fielder Pollock (?) for a golden duck.

He made 20-odd in the second innings but never got back a game at test level. If only we'd persist with him...

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I can’t think of one off the top of my head. But I’m sure there are some who might come in nervous and be able to build a proper innings and also come in confident and throw their wicket away consistently.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maybe it's possible to be too confident. An example might be Joe Root and him playing high risk shots that cause him get out.

He'd probably be a better if he was less confident and put those risky shots away.
He's got too much McCullfidence. It's a Bazball thing.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Yup. I was thinking it's more of an excuse than anything else.
i mean, not really, i think it seeks to assign a reason for the inconsistency. some people are inconsistent because they’re not very good, or struggle when in unfavourable conditions, whereas others are inconsistent because of the mental block in the style of a confidence player

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i mean, not really, i think it seeks to assign a reason for the inconsistency. some people are inconsistent because they’re not very good, or struggle when in unfavourable conditions, whereas others are inconsistent because of the mental block in the style of a confidence player
Or to spin it another way, they're not so good because they're mentally weak.