• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Cairns vs Flintoff?

Better Cricketer

• Cairns

• Flintoff

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I will say that I generally agree with Steve in that Cairns never had as many games where he bossed high profile opposition with bat and ball like Flintoff did in that 05 test series. The only case that really comes to mind was the 4th test in the 99 England v NZ series were Cairns flattened England’s top-order...
In 1999 the Windies still had a big reputation. Day 1, 1st test they got to 270/0. On day 2 Cairns took a 3-fer as they were restricted to 365. He then top-scored with 72 off 82 as NZ replied with 393, and took 7-27 in the 2nd innings (10 for the match) as NZ rolled them.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
In 1999 the Windies still had a big reputation. Day 1, 1st test they got to 270/0. On day 2 Cairns took a 3-fer as they were restricted to 365. He then top-scored with 72 off 82 as NZ replied with 393, and took 7-27 in the 2nd innings (10 for the match) as NZ rolled them.
Did they though? They'd been pummelled 4-zip by SA, got bundled out in the group phase of the '99 World Cup and Curtly wasn't touring. I'll grant you they were still a damn sight better than every WI side that's toured since but I think everyone had cottoned on to the fact that WI cricket was starting to rot by that point, especially when they were on tour.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did they though? They'd been pummelled 4-zip by SA the year prior and Curtly wasn't touring. I'll grant you they were still a damn sight better than every WI side that's toured since but I think everyone had cottoned on to the fact that WI cricket was starting to rot by that point
They drew with an ATG Australia-side in 99, albeit without a proper Warne

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Did they though? They'd been pummelled 4-zip by SA, got bundled out in the group phase of the '99 World Cup and Curtly wasn't touring. I'll grant you they were still a damn sight better than every WI side that's toured since but I think everyone had cottoned on to the fact that WI cricket was starting to rot by that point, especially when they were on tour.
I will always maintain WI were still gun in 99 so I can argue for Sinclair's debut double being one of the greatest innings of all time.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wonder if this is the only example of a 1st innings batting side having a 250+ run opening stand and managing to lose from that point in tests

Talk about throwing away a good start

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I feel like that '99 series was a dead cat bounce in their terminal decline. And tbh it was nearly 100% down to Lara. They had been obliterated in SA just prior as stated

Flem274*

123/5
I hope the footage of that Cairns and Oram partnership against SA is still on youtube. They're just completely unfair as a batting combination when they're both in the mood.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I feel like that '99 series was a dead cat bounce in their terminal decline. And tbh it was nearly 100% down to Lara. They had been obliterated in SA just prior as stated
Yeah, it's a weird one, because Curtly, Courtney and Lara still had enough residual magic left to make them a sporadically monstrous opponent, but it was becoming rarer and rarer, especially - as said - when they were on tour.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't really think the Cairns/Amir/Hansies of the world should be in these sorts of talks.
Neither do I, although I guess it has to be acknowledged that Cairns has been convicted/penalised/found guilty of nothing, so he's as in the conversation as any other person (not in my view, but from a 'legal' standpoint)

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Also. A better attack than some of what NZ sent to sub-continent in that 1996ish era. In particular to Pak in 1996.
We had Cairns and Doull in Pakistan (and Doull won us a test there in a 1-1 draw).
I remember test "attacks" with Chris Harris, Justin Vaughan, Gavin Larsen, and Dipak Patel plus an erratic random pace bowler (Sua, Davis, Kennedy etc).

Last edited: