• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best CWC side that could not win the World Cup

Best WC side to not win a specific WC

• Total voters

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think they were every bit as good, factoring in the era. Two great quicks, a seam bowling allrounder, hard hitting keeper, the Chappell brothers and Walters. I know those guys aren’t as good as the modern greats like Iyer, Yadav, Gill and Siraj, but they won as much as India 2023.

There’s never been a more overhyped side than this Indian one. But at the first whiff of grape shot they disintegrated. Most hyped and most recent doesn’t equal best.

On paper, Windies batting line-up looks way stronger than ours, even with the Chappells and Walters

Fredericks
Greenidge
Kallicharan
Clive Lloyd
Kanhai
Viv

Goes a fair way to rectifying Lillee and Thommo vs Roberts and Boyce

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Greenidge wasn't all that around the time of that inaugural WC tbh. The middle order is pretty awesome for sure.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Perhaps Silver Silva was being humble when setting up the poll but the 2007 SL team was a pretty decent side too with a quality attack and plenty of batting. Should be included as an option.

Best spinner of all time, best death bowler of all time, one of the best ever attacking openers, very good left armer, very good keeper batsman and other batting, plus handy part-timers. Mentally tough too.

PS Hopefully Migara doesn't read this thread.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
Wouldn't the 2011 Srilanka team mostly be the same as 2007?
Slightly weaker I think. 2011 had Samaraweera, Kapugedara, and Randiv featuring in the final, which isn't quite as good as Arnold, Chamara Silva (I think) and Sanath (who obviously makes a difference). 2011 didn't have Vaas and Murali was a bit past his best but they had Malinga, TP, and Kulasekara so maybe the bowling balances out.

Zinzan

WI '83 by miles. In fact there's a decent argument they would have matched up against a rest of the world side at that time they were so well covered (except for spin, which they didn't really need at that time.)

Sunil1z

International Regular
Slightly weaker I think. 2011 had Samaraweera, Kapugedara, and Randiv featuring in the final, which isn't quite as good as Arnold, Chamara Silva (I think) and Sanath (who obviously makes a difference). 2011 didn't have Vaas and Murali was a bit past his best but they had Malinga, TP, and Kulasekara so maybe the bowling balances out.
You are forgetting a peak Dilshan in 2011 .

TheJediBrah

Both those SL teams had some pretty glaring weaknesses, like 3 or 4 bad players, but the rest (2007 especially) all make the SL ATG ODI XI.

TheJediBrah

Right after the tournament ended, Dilshan flew back to home for the alimony case against his ex-wife (who was now Tharanga's wife). I'm always impressed that Dilshan never tried to run this guy out or something every once in a while.
Dilshan's a funny guy, he's playing around the traps in Melbourne subbies

mate of mine played against him last year and Dilshan switch-hit his first ball for 6 onto the pavilion roof (short boundary but still)

He also just rocks up to bat in T20s and drives home when he's done, doesn't field a lot of the time. And when he does field only bothers stopping balls that go straight to him