• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Afridi vs Vettori - ODI bowling

Who was the better ODI spinner?

• Total voters

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Who was better? Discuss.

Afridi 395 wickets @ 34.5, SR 44.7. ER 4.62
Vettori 305 wickets @ 31.7, SR 46.0, ER 4.12

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
I rate Vettori quite highly in ODIs. I believe he's one of the best left arm spinners in ODIs even in an all time context. Afridi is good as well, of course.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
I feel it's close but I felt Afridi was a better big game player, 2009 T20 World Cup and 2011 WC performances spring to mind ..

Also young Afridi had the most devastating quicker ball I've seen from a spinner, a pity injuries limited that variety.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep, Vettori the ineffectual Test wicket taker was actually one of the best white-ball spinners of all time and clearly superior to Afridi imo. Even Australia at their peak in the early to mid 2000s would sit on him for 35-40 off his 10 overs.

That career ER for someone playing between 1997-2015 is up there with the best in that era, albeit behind the very best of that time, Pollock, McGrath & Murali.