• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your solution to the BCCI - ICL standoff?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
IPL without the International Superstars is worthless. No disrespect but I think anyone who is arguing otherwise is too far away from reality.
I never said there should be no stars. I said the ROI on having them may not be worth it, so they may reduce the number per team, so the absolute superstars you still had, but some of the unknown players (in India) would not get in.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The rules of the tournament are designed to make them more valuable because of Indian quotas.
Well, to paraphrase your logic on the awesomeness of Ajntha Mendis,

Chances of the IPL being successful while comprising only Indian players = very high.
Chances of the IPL being successful while comprising only foreign players = nil.

The reality is somewhere in between the two extremes, tending heavily towards the Indian players being more valuable to the IPL than the overseas players.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, to paraphrase your logic on the awesomeness of Ajntha Mendis,

Chances of the IPL being successful while comprising only Indian players = very high.
Chances of the IPL being successful while comprising only foreign players = nil.

The reality is somewhere in between the two extremes, tending heavily towards the Indian players being more valuable to the IPL than the overseas players.
Ye mentioned that in a subsequent post IIRC. I wouldn't put its chances of success at "very high" but it depends what you count as success. I'm done here.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
And that is your opinion or result of some sort of research that you have done ?

Bees

U19 12th Man
Allow me to get a little serious here...

The international cricketing community needs to be respected. I love seeing Indian cricketers play but, for a non-Indian, it simply can't hold a candle to watching folks from different national teams play together.

My two favourite things about watching the IPL was Smith and Warne working together, and Tendulkar, Pollock and Jayasuria playing in the same team. That was awesome.

BCCI holds the power - whether they will keep it an international competition may possibly (or probably) boil down to issues of revenue. One would, however, hope that not to be the case.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I'm pretty sure the BCCI would have had no problem had the PCB and NZC convinced MoYo and Bond to give up their ICL contracts and play for their countries instead.

The fact that the BCCI and the PCB waited almost a year for MoYo to come back into the international fold attests to that. That is common sense. If MoYo and Bond found the lure of money too strong to return to playing for their countries, it speaks poorly of their priorities. Contracts do not bind cricketers into slavery.
What??. Why should Bond & MoYo had to give up their contracts ITFP??

Thats my entire point, the BCCI along with the IPL authorities sanctioned the idea to all the national boards that players playing for the ICL must not be considered for international selection.

Thats bullying, because at the end of the day those two gentleman have players rights & the PCB & NZC just "convincing" them give up their contracts CLEARLY wasn't that simple. Given that i'm quite sure the ICL would have taken them to court. It has nothing to do with these 2 blokes being "lured by money" or slavery.

Thats where the BCCI having too much power in the shocking ICC set-up caused all this confusion intially. Since the ICL should not have even started.

Its like the example i gave in comparison the football earlier. If one of those Arabian Oil woke up one day & said they want a create a football league in Dubai & would offer all the world's best players (whether in consideration for your national team or not) to come play for in the league, that is offering millions of US per week.

FIFA has regulations to prevent that easily.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think there is no point in discussing it without any data. I suspect the ROI of foreign players is definitely not worth it, but several people disagree, which in the absence of solid data, is just fine. We'll find out in about 3-4 years when the product is mature and they actually try to see where they can improve the profitability.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Aussie, its the slippery slope argument. You take one step down and you'll end up with an avalanche of private leagues undermining the real thing. I'm not going to keep repeating this. You may choose to disregard this and keep painting a picture of a big bad bully if it pleases you to maintain the air of righteous indignation. And regarding the contracts, they are sure to incorporate get-out clauses that usually involve fines that players should be able to afford once they get out of the ICL and play in the IPL or any other officially sanctioned league. Paying the fines would definitely have meant a drop in expected net income, but that shouldn't have been a deterrent if playing for the country was a priority for them rather than making as much quick money as possible. A contract without such a get-out clause is impermissile under law as it amounts to perpetual bondage.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah. There's no job from which your contract bars you from resigning from. It is not legal to bar someone from resignation. You cannot force someone to work.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Aussie, its the slippery slope argument. You take one step down and you'll end up with an avalanche of private leagues undermining the real thing. I'm not going to keep repeating this. You may choose to disregard this and keep painting a picture of a big bad bully if it pleases you to maintain the air of righteous indignation.
:laugh: Damn yo, that reminds of my English teacher used to talk to me in AS class..

Anyway, its obvious the BCCI have took advantage of the hype of 20/20 cricket after the ICC World 20/20 to establish the IPL.

If as you claim i am trying th paint the BCCI as a "bully" you seem to be denying the obvious negative effects the IPL is having on the game.

And regarding the contracts, they are sure to incorporate get-out clauses that usually involve fines that players should be able to afford once they get out of the ICL and play in the IPL or any other officially sanctioned league. Paying the fines would definitely have meant a drop in expected net income, but that shouldn't have been a deterrent if playing for the country was a priority for them rather than making as much quick money as possible. A contract without such a get-out clause is impermissile under law as it amounts to perpetual bondage.
This seems fair enough. Although i never did Law in school.

So you telling me Bond & MoYo could have possibly bought out of their ICL contracts & the ICL would have just accepted that??

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I would encourage IPL teams to poach the ICL of all its young talents, if crushing the ICL is the desired option,

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So you telling me Bond & MoYo could have possibly bought out of their ICL contracts & the ICL would have just accepted that??
They can't force them to play. They can only demand that they are compensated to reasonable degree if they don't play having agreed to.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I would encourage IPL teams to poach the ICL of all its young talents, if crushing the ICL is the desired option,
They're too busy banning them from playing in the IPL (and ostracising them from whatever other sanctioned cricket they have the power to get some influence over) to be doing that TBH.

Anyway, ICL teams don't need young talents, they can just buy in whichever retired superstars they like.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Aussie, the IPL might have negative effects, but it is better to have one tournament with negative effects than multiple tournaments with a greater magnitude of negative effects. T20 is here to stay. The players are getting their worth, and I'm not sure they'll agree with people denying them the chance to become financially well off just because some guys in front of the telly don't want them to.

Richard, you're right the ICL needs the retired/abdicating superstars. Besides, if the ICL truly was into developing young talent, they would have split the veteran Pakistanis and Bangladeshis among the various teams so they could mentor the young 'uns instead of lumping them into country based teams to tap into the two markets there.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
They're too busy banning them from playing in the IPL (and ostracising them from whatever other sanctioned cricket they have the power to get some influence over) to be doing that TBH.

Anyway, ICL teams don't need young talents, they can just buy in whichever retired superstars they like.
Maybe they should reconsider the whole ostracising bit and in any case if IPL successfully poached all the cricketers of any real use then there would be very little chance the ICL would get very far entirely on has-beens.